Does the MMR comp system penalize dps that pop off in the match making system?

If all you play is dps and pop off game after game won’t that affect your match ups? I feel like if I play 3 or 4 games in a row where I play well I put up against harder and harder dps. However if I play rein for a few games and then I go dps I get put up against bronze opponents. Maybe I am imagining this?

Like why on earth it would in any other sense that if you pop up you prolly carry games and rank up, thus getting harder opponents because you are ranking up?

2 Likes

If you pop off, but still lose, you will get tougher opponents, so the winning and gaining SR arguement doesn’t work. I think the best way to go is to play just good enough to win. Let people carry if they can, play your best if you need to tip the scales.

So by this logic if a player knows he is in a losing effort, would it make more sense to just suck real bad then to achieve anything thereby getting easier opponents for the next game?

Don’t blame the logic, blame the MMR system. Also, it’s a give and take. If you play poorly, you may get better teammates next round, but you also lose more SR this round by PBSR.

It’s like Goldilocks, don’t play too good, don’t play too bad, play just right.

1 Like

Well if you want to try that then go ahead. Its a pretty stupid logic tbh or how else would those bronze to gm streams even worked? How on earth they managed to get to bronze if by thrwoing games you would get people who carry in your team? You couldnt rank or derank, everyone would be stuck where they are, no going bronze, not climbing from bronze to gm.

2 Likes

I didn’t say throw games. I said don’t play well in games that were basically already lost. Like if the other team is pounding you into the ground at the first checkpoint and you have 5 dps and one rein. Maybe something less severe but like if you know the game is going a certain way playing well will tentatively hurt you for the next game. Am I wrong on that?

If you deliberately dont play well that is a definition of throwing. I end my case here. Everything else you speculate is some flat earth tier tinfoilhat theories.

1 Like

If your teammates are just going garbage time and you know the game is over long ago, I don’t consider that throwing. It happens all the time.

Regardless, I don’t care about the definition of throwing since I have my own opinion on that more just the idea of whether all this is true or not.

1 Like

You guys are almost all overthinking it.

The matchmaker gives you games designed to have your SR chase your MMR.

If your MMR is 3000 and your SR is 3100, your rank is higher than it should be and that’s when you get worse teammates (other people whose MMR is lower than their SR) and/or harder teammates (people whose MMR is higher than their SR and are ranked lower than they should be).

Also, games just get harder as you climb, that’s just the nature of a ranking system.

Shhh dnt tell people here how the mmr system actually works. They will think your crazy.

Uh… no, that’s incorrect. When you are further from your MMR you have wider gains/losses. There is no rigging as the matchmaker finds as even of games as it can.

Yeah it’s probably that. Dunning Krueger (sp?) and confirmation bias make us think weird stuff.
You just need to play as well as you can and you will get your true rank in 50 to 100 games. (Rank is around +/- 300 zone unless you are high rank).

You’re wrong. Your MMR is determined by your performance/actions per minute. Higher damage mccree players, for example, will be given easier games designed to make them climb if they perform well above their rank. Let’s say they put out 12k damage per 10 minutes and the average for that rank is 10k.

Or… because they’re doing 20% more damage they win more and earn a higher rank?

Do you have a source for this?

It’s just based on your fire % so there’s more to it than damage or healing, then compared to how often each rank/hero is on fire at that rank.

Let’s say the average diamond support is on fire 20% of the time and average diamond dps is on fire 30% of the time, one who is on fire 35% of the time will get games that will be easier for them to win. This means they’ll get teammates who also belong higher, thereby balancing the rank of multiple people at once.

The issue isn’t that you get harder opponents, but that you don’t get proportionally better team mates.
Whenever I hit master, I start getting teams that are utterly dysfunctional, even when I play well.

Pyah-
I don’t buy your theory of SR chasing MMR, and in fact think you’re wrong. The reason being is that if what you are saying is true then the general conspiracy theory of forced losing streaks is also true. Say you a high silver player is playing with with his diamond or high plat friend all weekend and manages to gain 600 or so SR from 1900 to 2600 basically by getting boosted. His MMR would still be bad at 1900 but his SR would be much better at 2600. Now he plays soloQ so his SR chases his MMR and he gets put with major trash teammates for the next 40 games straight. A play of silver would have a hard time winning in plat even if things were even but if what you are saying is true the MMR system would add even more pressure by placing him with really bad teammates on top of being in a skill bracket that he doesn’t belong in order to push him back to silver as quickly as possible. That would be a forced losing streak.

Others claim that the MMR system seeks to balance the match making so that one team is not blowing the other out completely. This makes more sense. Say every player is assigned a score from 1 to 10. If one player is a 3 then he maybe gets a 7 teammate so the average is a 5. Then the other team also averages a 5 in the middle and hopefully a fair fight. This is why some sort of stats and dmg and healing numbers have to factor in.

If you win 4 games in a row, you will be about 100 SR higher, so your games will be about 100 SR harder, on average. There is a small performance modifier, but maybe that would mean you gain 120 SR in four games instead of 100. This difference is going to be too small for you to feel.

Yes.

Doing this will cause you to gain less SR/MMR, which will hurt you overall.

To see how things actually work, read How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 13), especially the summary.