Does Overwatch know what happened to Widowmaker?

This has probably been asked before, but does anyone in Overwatch (besides characters who abandoned Overwatch and joined Talon) know that Amelie was brainwashed?

Ana’s interactions with Widowmaker seem to imply she has no idea Amelie was brainwashed, since she says that Gerard was a fool to marry her and that seems way too harsh if Ana knows what happened to make her Widowmaker. So do the current Overwatch agents think that Amelie was a double agent the entire time and have no idea about the brainwashing?

According to Ana in the comic Legacy, they thought she was dead - probably kidnapped and killed by the same people who killed Gerard. Overwatch as an organization never found out the truth. Current Overwatch agents probably still think Amelie is dead and have no idea who Widowmaker is.

4 Likes

Pretty sure Ana lost her eye to Widow because she hesitated to shoot her, because she knew her. Or, thought she knew her I suppose

Ana saw her face when her first shot hit Widow’s mask and revealed Amelie’s face. She recognised her, and hesitated to shot. Widow didn’t and shot her.

So yeah, Overwatch couldn’t have known she was alive and working with Talon (since Ana “died” on this mission, she couldn’t report it)

3 Likes

they thought she was dead

Huh. So did Overwatch even think that Amelie killed Gerard, or did they assume a Talon operative killed Gerard then kidnapped Amelie again?

Current Overwatch agents probably still think Amelie is dead and have no idea who Widowmaker is.

Even Tracer? I know Tracer doesn’t called Widowmaker by her real name in the short where Widow kills Mondatta, but from how Tracer acted I always assumed she knew Widow was Amelie.

They assumed some Talon operative murdered Gerard and took his wife. They thought she was dead.

Even Tracer. She probably didn’t even know who Gérard and Amélie were, she was 19 during Uprising, and Gérard was probably already dead back then.

2 Likes

Probably this.

I don’t know why she would - Tracer was a new recruit when Amelie was kidnapped. She probably never met Gerard’s wife, and only heard about her kidnapping/death second hand. I don’t know if she would make the connection.

1 Like