Does MMR balance by role?

Roughly this is the way it should work and also in case of teams it should match within roles as well.

I would like to wait for a fair game longer. “Fairish” has been implemented and they could really do a lot better.

You would, others not so much. Queue times for dps are already brutal.

1 Like

I do not understand what is the fun of getting ROFLstomped by 1 rank higher DPSses who team up with friend(s). If people just want faster losses then I guess it is the way it has to be :).

We have algorithms that promise asymptotic fairness. Basic naive sampling will get that job done. It’s so natural you can’t even patent it. And most people are taught how to keep/test things “fair” in gradeschool.

Tossing people into matches at random ensures fairness. But it rubs people the wrong way with streaks and randomly 1-sided matches and the like. But when you tell them the last 4+ years of live matches are ‘rigged’ in the sense of forced-knapsacking and cherry-picked teams to make matches “close”- they are instantly put off and disgusted by the idea. And your ladder becomes a meme despite schilled content attempts.

This is why the best compromise is naive sampling from 4-5 skill tiers (pools). People are binned by APM/aim calibration matches, and SR +/- that is hidden to the matchmaker. Matches then have an ‘average difficulty’ for that skill tier until you win/lose enough. It’s been hashed out in detail before, but they refuse to go that direction because it blackbox rigging keeps engagement up.

1 Like

So? If you are rofl stomped by enemy dps who is rank higher, your tank is probably rofl stomping enemy tank who is 1 rank lower so you can call it even :slight_smile:

I agree if this happening, but the 3300 Widow is owning and my diamond tank can’t kill as fast as the widow. H*ll they or me are still walking to reach the enemy while Ashe and Mercy already down in our team => thus match within roles to create more fair game.

This has to get fixed asap. Matches today have been HORRIBLE. one sided steamroll one after the other. i don’t like being on either side of these.

I just noticed this. Based on your name. Are you from South Dakota or San Diego?

What a silly question … as though the Dakotas are civilized enough for a Baron.

Figured I’d ask since I grew up in San Diego and South Dakota was the only other “sd” I could think of.

This isn’t how MMR works. The +/- 3 values correlate to the distributions of players across the ladder, not players within a rank or game.

Doesnt feel that way.
For whatever reason, you can have T500 DPS players in both teams, and masters tanks in both teams. It feels like matchmaking balances per role, not whole team.

I’ve see Plat genji who is clearly in the -2 mmr.

Plat would be about +0.5

Yes, MMR considers the role you are playing. For details see my thread on the subject: Algorithmic Handicapping (MMR) is Wrong for Overwatch

No it isn’t. Doing that would be too close to making things more fair, balanced, and less grindy, and that’s not how Blizzard operates.

You didn’t read the rest of his post.

Yes I did, my statement is the same. It would most likely increase queue times.

Because it would add new limits for matchmaker, forcing him to use smaller player pool. Matchmaker would have less option to create teams.

And OP talked about open Q. It had/has actualy a lot worse rank balance than role q.

This is the real issue with the game. It should be the same rank across all roles. Otherwise they are breaking their own rules of play nice, play FAIR.

The real question for me now is considering how roles balance each other with regards to win rate and skill difference.

What level dps can beat enemy team with diamond tank . Assuming both teams are comprised of plats?

If a diamond tank doesn’t = a diamond dps what does the win rate across 100 games look like?

Very curious things.

Don’t forget the matchmaking is rigged, in order to provide you 50% of winrate in your optimal rank.
You see a big amount of unfairness when the system forces you a lose: you may even get two level 25 in your team for both supports or both tanks. It’s like playing 4v6.

I guess DPS are the most impactful and supports the less ones, because this game is based on achieving kills.