Do you play competitive seriously?

I try to swap when necessary. I don’t fool around or sabotage games. I only have one account because I have no need to smurf at all, and it’s fun to collect levels and get event skins with ease. Every game I focus on what I’m doing, and how I can help my team win. I try my best to aknowledge what I’m doing wrong, and try to fix it. I’m not really the best gamer out there in the end, but I can always try to do better. I might not have my sights on top500, but I am hoping to maybe improve enough and with that, might gain more SR. If I don’t? Not a big deal, it just means I gotta get better.

However I don’t spend time on thinking about my teammates mistakes. If there’s a genuine thrower, it happens, report and move on, happens on all ranks. In this way I’m not ‘‘deeply serious’’. I can’t change other people but I can change myself and that’s it.

Sometimes I make that mistake but eventually I remember that Blizzard themselves don’t take comp seriously.

3 Likes

I make certain sacrifices while playing comp, but winning isn’t everything. Certain things I will not sacrifice to win.

1 Like

I really haven’t touched comp since 2-2-2 rolled out. I would pick it up some seasons but I feel like, for me, its a game like all others and im here to have fun. Some people take it TOO seriously and if you don’t play like how they want you too they become tilted and toxic.
If you want to run a certain comp that’s meta? Fine, I’m willing to help. But if you yell and scream cause someone want to try a new comp, nope.

3 Likes

Yes, I can call them with R, word, why not? I am sure you have seen plenty of them yourself in your games :slight_smile:

Its fine, but my topic wasnt really about that. I know system is not perfect but it will slowly place you where you belong but it takes way too much time to get you to your proper elo. My problem is different. Not only it takes way too long, but you have to carry a lot of bad people on the way up, I am simply tired of it. You know what I mean? some games I am trying so hard, do so much for the win while some others who played like garbage just won even when they didnt deserve it. This is what I dont like about the ranking system. When I played FFA deathmatch I knew its only my skill and I am where I am only because of me, so were the others.

I am on this account like 600 SR lower on support and dps than my formar main is. I know I can make it to my former elo, I know my skill perfectly as I have done it before. Its not about my ability to climb. Its about how it will tilt me on the way up, how many bad players I will have to carry in order to win games.

I have no problem with people who are simply not skilled enough, you cant do anything about your skill in match. You are simply skilled or not, but what is making me mad are people who ignore total basics: grouping up,comunicating with team mates, cooperating when you play team game. Its not question of skill, these 3 thing are crucial in team game. It doesnt matter how good are you at OW, you can do all these 3 things in every rank easy without any kind of skill. And yet so many people will not do that.

So I dont have problem with how people are skilled, I have problem with how people are dumb, and losing just because of that is incredibly not fun.

YES! This is exactly what I am talking about, this is so true. Right now I am in state of mind where I think if its worth the energy to do that.

Yes, and until blizzard wont actively punish anyone not playing like comp should be played, its pointless to try hard. Atleast for me now.

So how will I play in future? Well, I will probably still try to win but I will not invest that much energy into it. And when team is acting dumb? I will take torb and have fun…

1 Like

Interesting to hear other forum goers, even people high up in diamond, saying what I’ve been saying for years.

Why the hell can’t people group up?

I started in bronze (as I was atrocious. Dropped there from bring overplaced at 2200) at 1400.

Constant feeder games. Loads of leavers. Absolute crap hole of throwers and idiots.

But fought my way up to silver with Mercy. Stuck there for ages despite 60% win rate due to broken pbsr. Played Torb and smashed my way up to mid gold due to 65% win rate and pbsr greatly favouring dps.

Games at gold were generally pretty good. Resets after lost fights, regrouping, Comms.

Had my ups and downs over the years, down to 1700, high as 2550, so solid low gold tier.

But in gold team work pretty good.

But since Beta feels like people’s brains have disappeared.

Constant feeding and idiocy. Like being back in bronze again.

Lots of new players overplaced and dragging their teams with them.

Role queue doesn’t help. My dps sr is far too high as I don’t main the six meta heroes that are worth playing right now. Apologies to my team mates in my five dps games.

Loads of people at the wrong sr and comp is an utter crap shoot right now, more than ever.

Amen mah dude amen…i started OW at 1400 ish SR season 1 i think…got as low as 800 sr…and as high as 2870 sr…through 5 season’s…and yeah, no…it doesn’t change. Only worsens.
The amount of LITTLE time i have…i just join comp., try for my last golden gun(only have 3 total) for a char i like and im never touching ranked again…EVER. i dont care what they come out with or who last golden gun for me and im dropping this mess of a game…

I was feeling burnt out, as you (Xion) describe. Three things helped:

1. I took a three month break.
  2. Role queue, so a I can play the role I want without throwing.
  3. Replays, so I can usually figure out why a game was won or lost.

When I returned, my beloved Zenyatta was dead, so now I’m learning Moira. My SR is way lower (low gold), but I get tilted less, probably because most games I can see where I could have played better. Sure, my teammates are atrocious, but so are my enemies (and quite frankly, so am I, though getting better as I learn Moira).

Also, the general clichés are true: Play for your own improvement. Don’t worry about your teammates any more than it takes to work with them to win. Individual games don’t matter, but you can usually still extract some value even from hopeless losses. It takes a huge amount of time to get better, and a huge amount of games to rank up after you’ve gotten better. If you aren’t having fun, and aren’t paid to play Overwatch, find something else to do with your time.

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong. I’m full of respect for people brute forcing themselves over to plat or diamond and above. They absolutely deserve their rank, because they have the balls to dig through that sh1tfest.

But I believe they sold their soul a little bit and are dead inside :smiley:

My friends, there are people who take this game serious but only on one account. The other 4 account they own they do not take it serious. I have already explained this to the developers of Overwatch that only one account per person should be allow in matchmaking but they do not care.

`https://www.riotgames.com/en/project-a

Here will be our savior, you will see and I will make it happen.

BAT ZEI NIED ZE MANEY!!

I have always considered Competitive as simply another game mode.

I play it as seriously as i play any game, video or physical, with the intention to have fun and maybe win in the process or accord some sense of achievement.
“Fun” for me, has always been a procedural journey involving learning a game, dissecting and analysing it. Sometimes, i win; sometimes i would lose.

The only times i get serious is when there are real world repercussions and consequences; like getting into university; marriage; birth of my children; my business.
So i guess that unless i intend to turn pro or own a team, i would never take Competitive mode as “seriously” as i would do for real life things.

3 Likes

Just been playing some comp tonight. Didn’t give a stuff about sr and something funny happened.

Went 6-2 on support and 2-0 on tank.

Tldr, I wasn’t tilted by perceived throwing, such as team mates pausing in spawn for 20 seconds mid fight, or when a dps apparently didn’t know what they were doing.

1. Havana. Used mostly speed boost. Got payload to the end and stopped them in distillery. Dropped some nice ults and saved at least two team mates from messy charge deaths via boops.

2. Oasis. Freaking crazy game. First team fight took so long I got ult twice during it. Beat them 2-0 at the end, but very very close game.

Had a Sombra and she was filthy. Several fight winning emps. After 5 crap Sombras, got a good one.

1. Dorado loss. I think that one of our dps out if his depth. Only level 46 and no switch to counter enemy comp.
    But I made tons of mistakes as well. I’m going to review and see what I could have done to make it a win.

2. Blizzard World win. They smashed us on attack, but we held them just before point 2. I tried Zen as I thought that we had issues doing damage. They had a Winston, but he was terrible and no threat.
    On attack I sped everybody in and we took point in 30 seconds. Got to 2 with a few minutes to spare.

3. Anubis. Lost A and 97% of B, but we beat them 2-1. Our Reaper was dirty. I just sped him and dropped beat when he went in 1v4 to ult. GG.

4. Kings Row. Full hold and took wedge after a couple of pushes. Died as stuck in doorway trying to wall ride. Ho hum.

5. Eichenwald. In past I’d have been tilted at players stuck at spawn. Also had a silver Tracer that just wasn’t great. Enemy smashed it to end with 4 minutes left.
    Our attack was crappy and disjointed, but with a minute left Rein shatter landed and I got quintuple kill potg with coalescence. Got it to end with 2 minutes left.
    Also gave Bap a run out. Did okay with him, but feels like driving a monster truck Vs a Ferrari (Lucio).
    We just got point in overtime then got Sigma ulted off payload (cough cough what a crock). But we held them 1 metre short on their attack.

6. Gibraltar. Loss as enemy Widow uncontested by our tanks. I should have done more as Lucio. One point she got away with 10 health. Lost it in ot as she got double headshot kill potg. I’d identified the enemy carry, but wasn’t skilled enough to neutralise her.

7. Hanamura. Played Orisa. Awesome team. Mostly in chat. Held at point 2.
    Smashed it on attack point A and we combined five ults to take point B.
    Nice to play with team mates with brain cells that knew how to group up.

8. Lijiang. Orisa again. Another great team. Grouped up after point lost. Dps were on point. Won 2-0. Just felt really easy. Managed 24-4 kd and got back to gold rank.

Just 10 really good games, of which 8 went my way.

One reason might be playing earlier at night, where there’s fewer drunks and stoners playing? I dunno.

Will I get feeder stoner morons next session? That’ll be the real test of the new mellow me.

2 Likes

After 17 seasons in high silver/low gold, staying faithful to all the information of how to ‘git gud’ and staying in high silver/low gold? All the while watching my random teammates I’m paired with make the same mistakes all match long, that i used to make in season 2 or 3?

Not only do I no longer take it seriously, I threw in the towel entirely and moved on to other games out of sheer apathy.

I simply couldn’t deal with the probability seemingly against me far more often than not, or at the very least ‘down the middle’ as goes the trope.

Only on my main. All my alts are for getting better at different roles/heros im not good at or for having fun and feeding. Which is kinda weird, because my Reddit Lucio account is higher than my main and I don’t tryhard on it it all.

1 Like

idk, my bro.
i find that games at certain times of the day really do make a difference.

Just speaking for RQ Beta (i have not had the time to sit through a full Comp game yet), i did all 15 placements in the afternoons and it was bad. The teams just did not group and i had more losses than wins.

Then for the rest of the RQ Beta season, a few days, i played like maybe … 10 games at night between 6-8pm for my main role, Tank and won 8 of 10 games. The games felt very different from the afternoon ones. More organised and disciplined.

3 Likes

Nope, its a joke and a welfare check to higher sr players…

No mmr/sr/pbsr resests.

game is what it is, just to have fun and see how many people can get mad and rage quit for the hero choice you make…

Maybe you’re providing more utility than you realise?

I’m currently rocking over 70% win rate on Lucio but sub 50% on Moira.

I’m obviously doing “something” right with Lucio, whilst I don’t, apparently, “get” how to play Moira.

The obvious conclusion, to climb further, is to not play Moira anymore, but stick with Lucio.

1 Like

I just play for fun, at the end of the day its just a game and im not being paid to play so there is 0 reason to take it seriously

Edit : that being said i dont throw games or he toxic i just play but have fun while doing it

1 Like

I’ve only been playing since season 7. I might feel your pain in about 8 more seasons :slight_smile:

I think a robust LFG would solve a lot of the heartache you describe QoL for the LFG

I play about 40 hours of Competitive mode per season. And if I’m not playing Competitive, I’m not logged in to the game. (I’ll do my placement matches for Copa Lucioball, Comp CTF, and play archives and Mei Snowball fight ect, but only enough to get the sticker/player icon.)

I view Competitive as a place for me to test my skills and the computer will tell me how good I am.

If I had a team that I played with once a week, then yes, I would get my practice games in. I feel that I’m more obligated towards my teammates than I am myself.

Solo ladder - I’ll take them as they come
Group ladder - I’m gonna make some plans

Who creates teams by random lot? It’s unorthodox to say the least.