šŸ”¶ Discussion on Why I'm Against Hero Bans

Well 2-2-2 was originally for OWL only. I imagine theyā€™ll add it for the rest of us at some point because you want the e-sport to be pretty much the same as the rest of the game so that viewers can understand.

3 Likes

I would rather not take the nuke road and take the road that has a few holes in it.
My point being Bliz next to never reverts stuff so you can not go down one road and say ā€œfudge noā€ and turn around.

how about we do hero bans like this:

• ban 3 heroes hybrid / payload , capture maps
  • you need to capture point A and B to unlock banned heroes on payload hybrid maps.
  • as defending team if they capture aand b all heroes banned unlock.
  • on capture maps after point A banned heroes unlock, bans reset for both teams after third round when the attack team attacks again.

They would have to make it so Team 1 can ban a hero for Team 2, but they themselves (Team 1) can still use the hero that they banned for Team 2. That way we see different heroes and not just the same but different composition for both teams. And yep, OWL & possibly GM + Top 500 is where I would support this. Mainly OWL though.

I think it could be cool if they found a way to ban heroes incrementally as the match progresses (like 1 per round) and possibly doing it automatically based on % on fire that round (so the highest performing heroes are targeted first, regardless of opinions around them).

But the latter relies a lot on the ā€œon fireā€ system being an accurate measurement of performance. I think it is, but others might disagree.

1 Like

not for comp but for arcade would be nice :slight_smile:

Would not shed a tear, personally.

Iā€™m a Tank main, but more then that- Iā€™m a Main Tank main.
Iā€™m normally a High Masters player, but Iā€™ve hit GM recently.

DPS? Ban Widow, Hanzo, or Mei.
Tank? Literally any of them, but most likely Sigma or Orisa.
Support? Zenyatta or Baptiste.

All of those make my life better.
All of them are poorly balanced with the state of the game as a whole (away from individual balance).

I am 100% down with hero bans, the META wonā€™t be stuck as one thing because hero bans will shift from game to game, especially in higher elos.

3 Likes

I mean itā€™d just bring a ban meta. like if x OP hero is banned, pick the next OP one after them. itā€™s not gonna bring as much diversity as people would think it would. like at best you would see more mid tier picks, but low tier picks like sym, or bastion etc. wonā€™t get picked even with bans because their problems is are in how bad their kits are.

at the end of the day, what really determines hero diversity is balance and peopleā€™s perception.

The diversity hero ban(s) will bring is that it will allow the players at each rank to finally take some balance into their own hands.

Pharah broken on console? Bam. Ban Pharah.

Orisa played every game in PC GM? Ban Orisa.

The reason just ONE hero ban per game is so healthy for Overwatch is that for the first time it allows us the community some say on hero balance at our rank.

2 Likes

With hero bans, team comps will get even worse. It will just encourage throwing when people realise the hero they play is banned and the other person has picked their second choice. So youā€™re onto your third best hero.

If you said at the moment ā€œhey team, Iā€™m just going to play my third best heroā€ people would get mad. How is this any different?

5 Likes

The world needs heroes!

ā€¦except for that one, that one, oh and that one.

3 Likes

Overwatch always has limitations to your character choices. The main limiting factors to my choices as a tank player right now are that some tanks wildly outclass others making them bad choices.

If Orisa were frequently banned I would feel more freedom in how I play, not less.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. The tank role right now is so limiting in choice. If both tank players just troll pick, the team autolosesā€¦ whereas pretty much any two supports or dps can work (or at least be played around) with a little effort.

1 Like

the game is increasingly becoming less and less ā€œplay what you wantā€

6 Likes

Hereā€™s a thought: If a character is so hated by the entire community that it gets banned every match foreverā€¦
Maybe that here shouldnā€™t be in the game?
A 100% ban rate is a pretty good indication something is seriously wrong with the hero.

5 Likes

they could figure that out with a simple pollā€¦you have to outright ban em?

Willo, Tyra, Zhin and some others in Paladins were permabanned for what, the 2-3 years Iā€™ve been playing the game? Itā€™s hilarious at this point.

1 Like

I want hero bans mainly to keep the bad widowmakers and bad hammonds off my own team.

ā€œX game did it wrong so I will assume the entire system is faultyā€ is a pretty weak argument.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to see bans in OWL. I think it could work in the client, but I donā€™t want it to start there. I want it to only be for professional play at least initially and maybe forever depending on what it looks like there. But if it works for pro play maybe it could come to Masters/GM.

I donā€™t think we need them in Gold or Plat, but the higher you go the more stale the meta gets and Iā€™m tired of people whining about the meta, so I think it could be a really good thing at the highest levels of play.

2 Likes