Disconnects shouldn't be punished

I personally think that disconnects shouldn’t be punished with a 50 SR lose. If you come back after a DC, why are you punished?

EDIT: I understand that it is abusable, though I think that a WHOLE Endorsement Rating, 50 SR, and a ten minute ban is harsh for the 2 minutes of time you have to reconnect.

1 Like

Welp, problem is you can fake disconnects.

13 Likes

It’s too easy to abuse if you aren’t punished.

1 Like

Correct, it’s an intentional design to keep router kickers in check.

1 Like

It’s just an unfortunate thing that needs to be done to help prevent people from leaving on purpose. Leaving the game and returning still puts your team at a disadvantage while you’re gone. Though maybe they should lessen the amount of SR you lose if you do come back. As of right now you lose 50 whether or not you come back which can make it feel a little pointless to return.

You know what can’t be faked? Returning to the game and playing it out. Rofl.

2 Likes

Except at that point the damage is already done. Your team lost momentum due to it becoming a 5v6, maybe you missed the rest of the round, etc.

3 Likes

You would seriously prefer that they do not return and just take the SR hit because they dc’d? Really?

You would not prefer they come back and have a chance at winning?

That isn’t what I said at all. You should still be punished for putting your team in a detrimental position by leaving the game even if you come back. Losing one team member is a massive blow in a competitive match.

5 Likes

If anything I’d prefer less of an SR hit so they have more reason to come back (but 50 sr if they don’t)
The SR penalty should still be there otherwise it would be abused.

You don’t get a penalty if you come back within 1:30. Plenty of time to turn on mobile hotspot on your phone if your home net doesn’t come back.

I believe you’re right if you reconnect and you win. Because at that point, sure, a DC is annoying but you obviously came back and made up for it.

DC and lose, fine, punish people -50, whatever. But as the system stands now, there is no reason to reconnect and take on the stress of helping random strangers try to win their comp match, because you get the same punishment anyways. Might as well spend those extra 10 minutes doing something else.

1 Like

Nobody in their right mind would return if they got punished just for disconnecting. Like, seriously, why would they come back and try to save the game if it did not matter? That is why they give you the 1 minute grace period. But the obvious problem is that if you do not return swiftly, there is no incentive to return.

Naw, it’s worse than that. They don’t award you the SR for the WIN. That’s what needs to be changed. Then you would have an incentive to return, while still NO incentive to play monkey games with D/C’s.

Welp, if it would work the way you like it, as not giving you loss 50 sr for disconnect if you get back, then it could be use as another troll tool, and a troll would not lose that much sr.

I would, i dont play for rank anyway, you should try plaing games for fun insted.

This is complicated. Just because you return doesn’t mean that the damage hasn’t been done. People could have left in the time you were gone, the fight could be lost with no real way of winning it back. A lot can be done in a game as fast paced as OW. You can lose both point A AND B in less than a minute.

It can also be abused, as someone can just leave, give their team the middle finger, come back and be like “I DC/d!” and potentially get less of an SR hit because they clicked the x button but wanted to troll their team.

I would also like to point out that penalties also apply for those who have a technical malfunction to get them to stop playing competitive until the issue is resolved. Sometimes there can be a long term problem that affects a player (I was such a player back in season 2) that have a unresolvable problem. By enforcing penalties, that helps prevent players from risking other player’s skill rating by playing in unstable conditions.

Granted a disconnection, power outage, or game crash can affect any one player at any given time. However that is why the penalty only starts at a 10 minute suspension. Furthermore, only the skill rating is reduced severely, NOT the hidden matchmaker rating. So if you can quickly repair the technical problem, it is actually very easy to recover the SR loss over a few matches (win or lose).

2 Likes

I play for fun myself, but even I would not return. I am pretty petty though. So there is that.

(Season 2 computer problem squad?)

Having 0 punishment is a reward for reconnect winning in and of itself. Even a flat 0 on a win would be 50 SR better than what the current system would give you, and would therefore be an objectively better outcome.

Either way, we’re on the same page. They need to give players some reason to reconnect and win. Whether you should gain SR or simply not lose any is a different matter.

1 Like