Director's Take - Mapping Out the Future

Even if most things revert back to how they were in OW1, I doubt 6v6 is one of those things

I really like the tone of these last blog posts. They’re taking accountability for their bad decisions, listening to the community and being part of it, working on things that will make this game fun again.

Honestly, I was kind of hopeless. Now I feel like they’re listening. Maybe this will be a great year for OW2, after all.

I do not like map pools, but I would not mind having featured maps (high chance of playing those maps).

2 Likes

Another dev blog? Addressing community issues?

Is this game actually alive? This is awesome dude.

6 Likes

So Push maps WERE weighted…

Explains my recent streak of Colosseo, NQS, NQS, Colosseo, Esperanca, NQS, Colosseo, Esperanca.

I know i’m exaggerating, but by Jeff, it sure felt like that.

3 Likes

I know it shouldn’t be this way, and we shouldn’t have to give thanks for communication, but it’s really nice to see not only this activity but acknowledgement of hearing the players and admittance to choices not being as good or accurate as was initially thought.

… just dont listen to us too much.

6 Likes

This is great to hear. More maps to reduce the chances of getting push. Next goal…remove push :rofl:

1 Like

Might I suggest allowing players to choose the game mode they wish to play? Similarly to Call of duty and other FPS who allow players to choose the game mode they wish to play. Example in CoD-TDM or Kill confirmed. That way it can help show which game mode is played least. Example being Push, If its being played the least if a change like this was put in it could show that changes need to be put in to the mode itself if not also the maps.

1 Like

Nice! Ideally map pools would be dumped for season three but I’m glad to hear they’re on the way out!

I’m also happy to hear that Walking Simulator™ is getting looked at. Gibraltar was cited but surely it’s got to apply to Push maps, too.

1 Like

Zoom in on this for a second. Does the matchmaker consider seeing the map/mode at all, or do you need to actually complete the map in order for it to come out of rotation?

I wonder if this is why people are complaining that they’re seeing Colosseo so often, since they just ragequit whenever they see push maps come up instead of playing the match out.

1 Like

when can we expect 6v6 back?

6 Likes

FIX THE FRAMERATE ISSUES WITH THE 120 FPS MODE ON SERIES X.! Xbox Series X low frame rate

1 Like

this is one of those self re-enforcing death spirals

people learn that Paris sucks, so they start leaving Paris

so games can’t be formed, so more people start leaving immediately, which causes more games to fail, etc

An update like this perhaps every other week would go a long way in gaining the trust of the players back. Even if there isn’t a ton to talk about, just letting players know you’re there and listening is important. You should keep doing these kind of updates.

1 Like

Apparently everyone’s idea of “great work” from the Overwatch Team is them undoing all the “work” that was put into redefining a sequel.

12 Likes

Okay. Look. I’ve been a harsh critic about the team and their decisions.

I’ll eat those words. THANK YOU. Thank you for getting rid of map pools and not only acknowledging the poor choice, but also taking admission into being wrong and providing additional information that confirmed suspicion of Push maps being elevated more.

Simply, thank you for this. And again, thank you for the communication. The frequency of these has been phenomenal and slowly but surely makes me feel more trustful.

6 Likes

I’m betting 3 years of development time, $44 million spent, and we’ll get 6 waist-high barriers placed around the exact same maps.

1 Like

I’ve gotten New Queen’s Street 3 times in a row before, completing all 3 matches. I keep getting backfilled into it, so I really don’t think it has to do with needing to complete it.

2 Likes

Oh finally no more so many times at the push maps. I am sick of seeing them.

Thank god. I was beginning to think they didn’t know about the problem.

That genuinely sounds like a non-issue, especially on a payload map. Everyone knows OW could benefit from having more alternate routes.

Well at least they are keeping us updated. Thanks Aaron

1 Like