Director’s Take – Reflections on Overwatch 2

You forgot to say, 2000 skins for Kiriko and Genji in nexts months (it’s a parody :joy:)

3 Likes

I would like to remind you that players who enjoyed this were literally forced out due to catering to streamers and OWL. That did happen. And I would also like to remind you that we ARE living in a reality where people got those changes to make it faster and less moba like, as you seem to think is a good idea, and everyone seemed to hate it then, and a ton of people seem to hate it now.

6 Likes

You’re asking where the players are that like non shooter elements? Uh, they left the game half way to late into the life of OW1. Anyone can look up the player base numbers over the years and see the steady drop off. That’s why OW2 is as it is now. A smaller player base with less interest as a game to watch. That’s why they switched to the shop, make money off fewer players. I mean they say it here, the crossover event was a success. They have a smaller player base, but they can make enough money to not care.

A game that was unique in this area, like what OW could have been, could succeed precisely because they aren’t any good examples. Blizzard with their strengths in story telling, rpgs, etc, could have done something different.

5 Likes

MOBA Defence Spam players were forced out by a MOBA Defence Spam composition?

1 Like

love the nothingburger this reflection is.

also loved the promise to look at store prices in S3 being ignored and whisked away under the rug after the initial statement with no follow up like. y’all are barely delivering and still demanding ridiculous amounts of money for recolored skins and keep promising ‘just wait a lil longer’ for critical flaws to be fixed and for more direct communication. bro its been 6 months and not one of these issues that you’ve apparently been working on since the beginning have been really changed in any major way. the desire to not make big shakes is strangling anything fresh and any interest.

7 Likes

The game stands?

5 Likes

Moba Defense Spam players were forced out by blizzard catering to OWL and Streamers. Streamers advocating a faster paced game, and OWL which Blizzard assumed would benefit from a faster paced game. While OWL players will play the meta, as will top streamers, both side still voiced their displeasure with the comps.

Audiences and Streamers thought the game would benefit from being faster. And what did it get us? We are living in a world where what you think should have happened did happen, and its only been awful for the game. When do we call it quits?

3 Likes

Of course the game feels unrewarding. There are no rewards outside of paid-for rewards.

14 Likes

Please consider fixing Cassidy’s sticky grenade interaction with Rammatra/Doomfist. Those abilities don’t mitigate it for some reason. I have heard possible tracer’s pulse bomb and Echo’s bombs as well.

Also not a fan of the sniper dominated maps. It would be nice to have a system in place where we can favorite map types so we get those more often. I dont enjoy playing maps with very long sight lines like Havana.

Cassidy’s range increase seems nice for his players, but with his grenade being so deadly, it feels like you really can’t play heroes like lucio into him offensively. So I am interested to see what you guys have planned for the grenade if at all for season 4.

That or buffing heroes’ like lucio and giving a minor windows of damage mitigation would be nice.

I am excited to see the new hero. I hope yall won’t take too long to release some information about them.

2 Likes

The way I see it, there was 4 years of GOATs, DoubleBarrier and WannaBeGOATsRush with very little inbetween. And if that was going to be highly appreciated, then they had plenty of time to show that.

And that perhaps, the mistake wasn’t that they were not empowering Defence Spam even more.

And that the issue is that they didn’t adjust Overwatch back to something more similar to the Offence/Defence FPS/MOBA ratio they had back in 2016/2017.

Which is largely what they did with 5v5.

1 Like

I think trying to spin this as MOBA players vs FPS players is not the whole story. It’s really pve players vs pvp imo. The exodus of players during OW1 was from a lack of support, direction, and content. One of the most exciting parts of OW was event modes, in particular Archives. That showed what could have been, but Activision-Blizzard decided to double down on the esports/shooter crowd. Follow Fortnite, etc. They are using all the same tricks and ideas, but not enough to set them apart in the crowded market.

1 Like

The main problem with that is OW isn’t a MOBA at all. Having roles in the game does not mean it is a moba, or even moba like. The game is absolutely FPS first, with roles touching on elements that are more akin to RPGs (in line with what you mentioned earlier).

The rest of your post seems like you’re trying to conflate very specific playstyles with the entirety of various roles (such as just being a barrier meat shield, which we both know there has always been more to tanking than that even at the height of GOATs).

The other part of your premise that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me is this -

Is 5v5 specifically closer to FPS or something here in your opinion? I just don’t actually see the point you’re making here which could totally be on me, so sorry for that. If barrier spam is an issue, that can be addressed in a 6v6 format similar to how it was addressed with 5v5. The change to 5v5 from 6v6 had ups and downs and I’ve mostly been okay with it, though I’m not sure how that relates to whether the game should stay as it is or move to be more fps like.

Mostly, I’m now even more confused than before sorry lol

1 Like

Tldr: “Soon”

Thanks for the Update!

1 Like

Do they mean the extra 5 ammo for Mercy? lmao

5 Likes

Save the sass for after Season 4 launches, and they reduce the GA cooldown to 2.499sec :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

but why would they do this

IMO:

• Supports are over-tuned and do too much damage.

• The server tickrate is bad because of Cross play.

• Too many times are we given PUSH maps. They are going to have to be closed down and put back into re-tune mode.

• I’m actually wanting 2-cp back badly, just because of how bad PUSH is.

• We need 6v6 open Q back.

• No more “outside of region” match-ups unless we are in off-peak hours
    (1am-8am) GUE4 is bad.

• Its time to address the “cheese” 1-shots in this game and dial back the CRIT, which is what people want. VS nerfing their health pools and upwards mobility.

Also, I meant to address this specifically and missed it in my last post, apologies.

I think this ultimately depends on how Blizz intends to handle PVE, and if there is any sort of longevity for it. Regardless however though, this does touch on a legitimate concern about splitting the queues. I think PVE could potentially bring in new players, while leaving PVP mostly the same (new players will be encouraged to try out PVP, older players may want to try out the PVE, etc). I do think if you drastically shift away from roles entirely, we will just lost too many people (myself included) because that just isn’t what I enjoy about OW.

I wanted to be clear though, I think this is a much more reasonable concern than the others you mentioned and wanted to show that.

Cyber demon genji, or any mythic skin. Will they ever be relocated to shop or are they locked behind a battle pass? Will there be alternative options replacing past mythic skins if past mythic skins are exclusive to the battle pass?

1 Like

Man I want an OW x DBZ collab

Beerus Zenyatta would go so hard