Director’s Take – Reflecting on the future of Overwatch 2

We are not allowed to post links in this thread, instead, on change . org there is an active petition Demand a refund for cancelled Overwatch 2. Please search it and sign and let’s get Blizzard to do the right thing.

At the announcement of Overwatch 2 we were promised a lot. Primarily, and the only real difference between 1 & 2, being the new PvE content such as talents and actual story. Now that this is cancelled it’s just Overwatch 1 with a new package and price tag. A lot of us invested in the game with the expectation of this content down the line. Excuses are just that, excuses and this is simply unexcusable. False advertisement and broken promises are what made them money on OW2 and I for one am not happy being taken advantage of.

3 Likes

I did. They said “No way man, it’s more than 14 days ago. We already spent your money.”

You think they may have spent it on the breastmilks? I’m not comfortable funding that for adults. Babies, sure, but people over 30 need to be spending my money on food food.

3 Likes

I’ve played this game since the betas, I was in middle school then and the game helped me out a lot during hard times. Seeing it crumble and fall like this is pure pain for something I loved so much and I have no motivation to play it anymore

You’ll be surprised, they will find yet another way to disappoint us.

It’s the gamers fault.
They didn’t buy enough 20 dollar skins and battle passes to afford bobby’s 220 million dollar bonus. Or enough starter packs to pay for the countless and unnecessary salaried and bonused positions of directors and managers that contribute zero to the longevity of the game and or company.

1 Like

Can someone explain how cancelling the big PVE portion of overwatch 2 is “for the good of the game and community” when the community of Overwatch 2 is people who got it FOR the PVE mode?
PVP was supposed to tide people over for PVE, not be the bigger more important part of Overwatch 2.

Thank you Aaron for sharing more info on the matter. I love overwatch development history from the bottom of my heart.

That beign said. It still doesnt make a lot of sense. If you had to pull resources from a part of the game to the other, Why not get MORE resources instead of cannibalizing your own game? Why spend those resources on Starwatch and Lifeweaver Bob mode, instead of in Hero Missions?

You should make team pvp and team pve work independently and in a focused fashion. And hire more people if needed. We know it is possible, since OW is a billion dollar revenue game.

Overwatch was a success making something NEW from Titan. OW2 is going to be a failure for NOT making something new from OW1. Can you see the difference?

But there is still time to make things right and develop the promised Hero Missions. Otherwise, the damage to image and $$$ will be huge for the company.

I bet Jeff-Wannabe thought this was going to divide the community between those that want to fanboy and those that want to rage. Instead, all he did was unite all the rage into one roar.

Poor Aaron. You may have been there when Jeff was running the show, but you clearly don’t know how to actually do the job. Look. I don’t even think Jeff’s all that great. But wow do you make him look amazing.

You can gaslight and gloss over facts all you like, but here’s the reality. You admitted in the Gamespot interview you knew LAST YEAR this mode wasn’t going to happen. You sat on that information throughout the “launch” EA of so-called Overwatch 2 (for how can it be 2 if it’s just the same game with a new patch?) and let people buy in with skins and keychains and whatever, them thinking they were going to be able to use them in a single player game that was the ENTIRE point of the 2 in Overwatch 2.

And you knew if you told them the truth then and there, you’d have a failed launch that would be entirely overshadowed by the news of the PVE mode being dead. And it is dead. No, Archival missions are not the same. Your own team’s interviews from years ago rejected comparisons between what you were planning for Single Player and what you’d done previously. They suggested just moar archival missions would be not at all acceptable.

Yet that’s what you want people to be happy with now.

You lied, plain and simple. You didn’t tell people the truth last year when you suggested the mode was coming later. I get that you were always tricky with the “single player mode” so you could come to today and backtrack and hope that by the time Diablo 4 launches no one will be talking about THIS bad Blizzard news.

And let’s be honest. Overwatch 2 was not the real reason support was drained away from Overwatch years before it should have been. Overwatch League was the big reason way back when. It’s like you think we have the long term memory of a gerbil.

TLDR; you got people to buy into OW2 by implying something on people’s faith and wasn’t honest about what they were buying. The only real change in Overwatch 2 now is the monetization, the Season Passes, because you as game director regretted ever giving away so much value in Overwatch. Which is why you killed the original game, dead. Otherwise, we could go back and play it and not even need this inferior patch to a previously superior game.

Give us Overwatch back.

1 Like

Gotta boost those quarterly reports before they release the truth and lose their a$$e$.

Signed thanks for bringing this to my attention

To hell with you hellen keller… I’m refunding every overwatch related expense since 2016… my bank is awesome like that… incompetent leadership is not something i was time on… much less from a filthy yank…

1 Like

While disappointing, take all the time that you need, I’ve been a fan of PVP for years and still plan on continuing to play. Excited to see how the development change improves content delivery. Make sure to take time and not crunch. Games don’t make themselves, teams do. I hope the team can stick together through all of this. I’m Excited for Seasons 5,6, & 7.

The main problem isn’t that you cancelled the PVE. That is a dissapointment, but the main issue is that you cancelled it a year before the launch. Then during and after the launch you kept on saying there would be PVE when you know there would not. You knew that if you told the truth before launch it would hurt your sales, it would hurt your numbers. People would be dissapointed, there would be less people buying battle passes and skins, so you waited to make your money.

How can you feel good about yourselves knowing every single stream, every interview, every piece of promo road map images, that mentioned the Hero Tree and all the other PVE was coming, yet you knew the whole time it wasn’t?

That’s the terrible part.

You try and compare it to how OW started, but that’s not the issue here. You intentionally deceived your customer base in order to make more money. You knew that because it was changing to free to play you could do this and not worry about getting sued, because people aren’t buying a product. You found a loophole and you knew that when you did announce it you would get heat for it from the community but in the long run, nothing would happen. Like your stock price has barely even fluctuated. In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter, especially since you know you are selling the company anyways. But you guys took home a lot of extra money at the expense of all the fans who supported you.

That’s why it feels bad, because the people who love overwatch really love overwatch, and you did them dirty.

Remember when you used to focus on making a good game first. I miss those days.

1 Like

I’m out of likes for today but I just want to bump this comment. Losing PvE isn’t as big a blow as the lies and omissions that strung us along for years. The slimy language being used as a gotcha is just the poop cherry on top of the mudpie.

3 Likes

I used to defend the delays on the PVE with people that say the game is dead. I used to tell them “PVE is just gonna be awesome, we will just have to wait for it until it is done, after all this is the company that made WoW.”. Now I do not care anymore, and I wonder, is this the same company?

Sorry. I’m responding to this thread again.

I re-read the article, and I have one more thing to say.

Aaron - stop gaslighting us. Stop acting like you didn’t cancel the PvE the team promised. Saying “much of the discussion this week has been about how we’re cancelling PvE outright, which isn’t accurate” and then trying to get people excited.

No. That is not true, and you know it isn’t true. You do not get to place blame, even a fraction, on your playerbase when your team lied. You held onto that lie for a year and that is simply unforgiveable. Don’t you dare spin any of the onus on us. It’s already annoying enough you lied, but then to try to gaslight the community again to try to put the blame on them is ridiculous.

15 Likes

Truthfully, this is just another sad, empty feeling apology. I’m tired of half-hearted apologies and promises to do better. I know that this is harsh, but your words aren’t enough anymore, you’ve proven this time and time again… This is starting to remind me of a toxic relationship. It’s time to put up or hush up. Action required.

2 Likes

It’s hard for me to understand how the Overwatch team has been under the impression all this time that the game would evolve into an MMO. It’s taken them six years to realize that it’s a PvP game at its core. Maybe they’ve just never been able to accept the fact that Titan got cancelled, and have been plotting in secret to bring it back. What a weird thing.

It’s been a long frustrating journey, but I’m reasonably optimistic about the game’s future. My only fear is that the community will be unable to forgive them, resulting in disappointing monetization and eventually maintenance mode like HotS. However, I haven’t seen any evidence so far that their monetization is failing, and as long as it’s making money they’ll keep doing it.

1 Like

that is exactly what it resembles, the damage control is just sad at this point

1 Like

its not failing at all they grossed 2,383,000,000 last quarter compared to last year its x2