Director’s Take – Reflecting on the future of Overwatch 2

refer to this hate the ceos and the execs not the directors contrary to the title they dont direct anything they just manage

I am inspired by the Overwatch team’s resilience, despite the challenges they face. Numerous content creators and players may express dissatisfaction with the updates surrounding PVE and the growing toxicity within the community, but I choose to focus on the positive aspects.

Three years after its initial release, I discovered Overwatch and it instantly captivated my heart. While PVE doesn’t personally appeal to me, I hold a deep affection for this game and acknowledge the incredible effort and dedication invested in its creation.

The recent decisions made are aimed at fortifying Overwatch as a whole. It is a beautifully crafted game that offers a wealth of experiences. It is in the best interest of the franchise to concentrate on the areas that are thriving.

Fellow players, your enduring connection to Overwatch is a testament to your genuine interest in the game. Why give up on its potential before it reaches its full realization? There is so much more yet to come.

Rather than providing hateful and negative feedback, let us encourage our Overwatch colleagues to continue doing what they know is best: crafting an extraordinary player experience that continually expands our excitement and provides us with the perfect escape that is Overwatch. Together, we can uplift and support the team, ensuring that Overwatch continues to thrive and bring joy to all who embrace it.

2 Likes

This is a nice set of thoughts but it’s hater’s week.

1 Like

I’m sure newaccountwith9posts clearly knows what’s going on and isn’t just another sock puppet account from blizzard to try to quell people being angry with their most recent tone deaf posts.

4 Likes

Hey now that you’re deservedly under fire for completely blowing it, maybe it’s time to bring back the stuff you deleted in the transition and give us the game we actually liked back instead of the garbage you implemented. You can even keep your trash mode that no one will play after a while since it’s so important to you that you had to forcefeed it down our throats instead of giving us options.

No? OH! In that case I have an idea, maybe you should try map pools again instead! This time it will totally work, third times a charm!

7 Likes

I wish you would stop talking to us like we’re stupid. This apology is far too little, too late. You don’t care about the players, you only care about the money and I hope you lose a lot of it after this terrible decision.

Everyone, please don’t spend anymore money on this game. They don’t deserve our time or money

2 Likes

so what compensation are we getting after yall left ow1 dead saying "wait for ow2 and pve :slight_smile: " and now pve fell through

1 Like

i have 1500 hours… yeah i never post on the forum so what? are you even reading what im typing? LOL

im fine with you hating the company i despise what theyve become but like i said aaron and jeff are scapegoats

Jeff delivered OW1 my guy which is where all of this started… OW1 was fantastic I loved it even in the content drought it was my go to game. My unwind and have fun. OW2 killed it with ZERO CLASS BLANCE, and 0 attempts to fix any of it. I would be happy to just have OW1 show back up on my install options and go back to playing that.

1 Like

This was broken over a year ago by another gaming company.

5 Likes

Your team couldn’t keep the last promise of “great things to come”, why should any of us believe you’ll do it this time?

3 Likes

They’re all to blame. The underdudes had plenty of time to “leak” that PVE wasn’t going to happen. I guess 2 and 3 are just as worried about that dollar as number 1.

However, my forgiveness can be purchased for $42.39.

9 Likes

That is a long winded way of saying “We wanted a cash shop like Warzone”

14 Likes

ROFL

they sign ndas i wouldnt leak it in fear of losing my job

I know that most people will not realize it but:

They apologized. Aaron himself apologized. Try to find that kind of statement from other companies that failed.

No one would be helped to continue that just was not working out. They made a mistake in 2019. A huge one. But I for one look forward. No matter what people say, the current version of the game is great and they deliver more content than in OW1.

If some dev reads this: thank you for being so open. I am sure it was hard. Lets hope you guys can deliver some massive pieces for PvP and that the story missions are great. We really need some good news from OW2. But I am sure this was the last big error, because this thing haunted you since 2019 without a way to give the time back this error has caused. Still: thank you.

1 Like

Tired of hearing we are sorry from Blizzard… How sorry can you really be to lie and string people along?

8 Likes

No one cares if he says sorry, he and the entire dev team broke the trust with the players. They can’t be trusted at their word anymore. They have nothing to show or say but “erm sorry bt we have big things in the works soon tm” which isn’t going to cut it anymore. They’ve been saying they have something cool to show for 7 months now when is it going to be coming out then?!?!
They have done NOTHING for the last 4 years and now have to sheepishly show that they did absolutely nothing to the communtiy who was expecting something, anything other than cash shop skins and paidwalled heroes every 2-4 months.

7 Likes

Well, then, I guess they are liars-of-omission and cowards.

Please purchase my forgiveness.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. So there are a few points that are really grinding my gears. I understand building a game is hard, and goals and milestones change. But at this point the least the team could do is be transparent.

• Looking back at the Blizzcon 2019 OW2 announcement, can you really say the focus was on maintaining the PvP version of the game? If so, how come updates stopped for 3 years? What do you have to show for it?

• You mentioned your version of Story Missions that are " leaps and bounds above what we’ve built for PvE previously in our game". Why are we not getting any details? You also promised Hero Missions 3 years ago. Judging by the silence surrounding the PvE until now I doubt anyone would believe the promises anymore without solid proof.

• Why was the announcement done in this way, as if you did not want players to notice? An hour into the stream, with only a few minutes of talking about it. No official article or announcement on the website until you have seen the outcry. And when you do reply to it you talk about the history of the team, while providing no real reasons why it was cancelled other than “we couldn’t”.

I have so much empathy for the developers but not for whoever made this decision. You showed zero empathy for the fans while attempting to gain sympathy points by this brief and useless history lesson. I guess like many others in this thread I am done with this game. Since it became Overwatch “2” I have been let down so many times. From day one when signing in was impossible, to when heroes were released behind a pay wall, to being the ONLY game i can think of that does not reward you with the next seasons battle pass after completing the current season’s. Its not for me anymore.

One last thing: I miss you Jeff.

11 Likes

“we are sorry for not telling our fans for 4 years and leading them on with false hope, we know that the fans gave us all the time but we gave up 1 year after the demo and did not say anything for the next years”

11 Likes