Diminishing Returns: It's Time

Of course.

In the most general sense within the context of gaming and player control, it just means that once you suffer from Crowd Control, the next application of that type of crowd control will have a lessened duration eventually building to total immunity. There is a “reset” period, a time window that the CC must be applied for DR to kick-in. Once a player is immune to DR, that window cannot extend and the player will become fully vulnerable to that CC type again.

Example:
I get stunned. If I get stunned within 5 seconds, the new stun will last half as long.
If, after the second stun, I get stunned again within a new 5 second window, the duration will be halved again (1/4 of the full length).
Finally, if someone attempts to stun me a 4th time within a new 5 second window, I’ll be immune until that 5 seconds elapses and the DR cycle can begin again.

2 Likes

It’s kinda sad really. The forumers are so rude. People say stuff like hey I am thinking of quitting or stuff like hey this is frustrating. And people just react so negatively like “bye felicia” or “We dont need you anyway”. I never seen a single reply convincing anyone or even reach out like “hey man I will q up with you” or “hey you can join up with my group here”. Its sad.

Yikes, getting Arena flash backs…and its been a long time since I played WoW.

I do believe we are at max CC threshold right now.

1 Like

I don’t agree with this. Having CC abilities in the game adds to the skill floors and ceilings of each hero and the game overall. I do believe CC has a place in a game like OW but, I think it’s at a critical point where any more will devastate the “fun factor.”

1 Like

As with most online things, we definitely have a community issue. No doubt about that one.

On-topic: CC is really a touchy subject. Some people love taking control away from other players, but few people enjoy having it taken away. Personally, I would just be sad to have Overwatch follow in WoW’s footsteps when it comes to CC, 'cause I know it would just end with me walking away. It’s selfish, but that’s where I’m at. I don’t mind a bit of it being in there, but I don’t want to feel like it’s everywhere.

1 Like

Junkrat’s landmines have been in the game since Day 1 and you’re probably 1 of 3 folks I’ve ever seen complain about their knockback. They’re fine.

I am kinda considering taking a break for season 10. Even though this season is so far going so good for me (I finally reached gold), the upcoming meta with the pharah, brigitte, junkrat is kinda offputting.
Ontopic: I do think cc should stay and shouldnt be completely removed. But they really need to put stuns as a skill ability. Not something that can spammed. This brigitte character just made it so easy to stun with little risk. Her whole design is tilting tbh.

I’ve been thinking this since the addition of Brigette. It’s time for dr

People have complained about junkrat since day 1. Theres so many things people find annoying about him that people just generalize.

With dr added, it means only more and more stuns are gonna be introduced. And that is gonna put a lot of people quit.

It doesn’t really have to be that though.

I am not saying no to all CC. I think there is a ton of really good CC that adds to the skill cap and fun of the game. Things like ana sleep dart is a great CC addition. It doesn’t feel cheap to play against and is very rewarding to land.

Also good CC - reinhardt’s ultimate - very counterable, avoidable, and telegraphed, but it also has huge play making ability. Same thing with his charge, telegraphed, avoidable, and he puts himself at risk to get it.

Lucio boop - moves you backwards but you don’t lose control of your character’s abilities or air control. Short CD with close range. Good CC addition.

Pharah boop - no air control, long range, long CD. Don’t lose control of your abilities, good CC.

McCree’s flash bang - close range, long CD, counterable and he puts himself at risk to get it. Good CC.

There is plenty of good CC in the game that is both rewarding and fun to play with / against. The problem is over saturation of CC effects in addition to CC being too powerful for the risk involved with less ability to counter and out play

edit: CC can and should feel fun to play against. CC should not feel oppressive or cheap. You can’t get mad at getting hit by a sleep dart, it was a great play from ana. That’s what CC should be aiming for. But also we must be wary of too much CC, because then, even with skill CC like sleep dart, we risk having too much. People should be able to play the game.

1 Like

And this is why I propose different CC categories. “Boop” and “Displacement” could be separate categories in order to preserve the power of Orisa’s “Halt!” as well as Pharah boop.

I’d also suggest that Ultimate abilities not be subject to DRs as that would kind of render them – not-so-ultimate :wink:.

But honestly though, why would you add dr lol?
Like only for brigitte?
For mccree there is really no point to adding dr for his stuns.
For doomfist adding dr could be useful, but he isnt even played that much lol. He is only played in very small number of games.
For mei, it could work. But meis freeze isnt really a complain as she is easy to deal with.
So again, why do we need dr for exactly? Are we really gonna do the same thing? Make brigitte to counter dive, but doing way more than countering dive and frustrating players. If you add dr, mccree and mei will be useless. So please lets just tune down brigitte instead of discussing dr.

Adding DR now would allow for further CC implementation into existing and/or future heroes’ kits without it becoming further over-the-top. WoW was given as an example; DR in WOW was implemented long after massive CC kits were prevalent and now the devs are faced with the uphill struggle of how to implement DR and what CC abilities to remove entirely. Spoiler alert: they’re doing their best but the process has lost them many veteran arena players, myself included (for the reason of ability removal and it’s leading to lowered skill ceilings).

Making DRs for knock back-like abilities would be super tough, I think. There are so many and they all behave slightly differently.

Lucio boop - retain air control, can move back little or lots depending on victims direction of movement

Pharah boop - no air control, cannot shorten or lengthen knock back with victim movement iirc

Junkrat mines - retain some air control, cannot shorten or lengthen initial knock back by moving into or away

Doomfist slam - no air control, always move set path no matter what

etc etc

I think it’s better to just prune the CC issue before it even begins. Actively avoid giving heroes much CC and any you do give should not feel cheap to play against.

These three, I believe, differ in air control due to their acceleration rate, if I’m not mistaken. I’m not a dev and am not privvy to the nuances of abilities that I would need in order to most appropriately assign the categories I propose.

You do bring-up a legitimate concern that should be noted in case the DR idea catches-on at Blizz headquaters :slight_smile: I’m going to add your concern to the OP for other readers joining the topic.

A well written idea, but sadly I strongly disagree with this. Diminishing CCs can be applied to other games where the CC timer is actually measurable by human perception.

Also, diminishing CC mechanics demand more or less constant CCs in terms of time. If the CCs vary so much like Overwatch, so will the diminished and it will become a plain mess.

For example, McCree’s stun is really marginal to accommodate his M2 or adjustments to his headshot combo. It is impossible to be diminished… Not only McCree will be unable to kill the said target, but he will eventually sentence himself to death because he will be in the worst possible positioning.

Furthermore, Doomfist is designed to be a stunlock machine. How will diminished CCs will work on him? Hook first stuns (grabs) and then actually pulls the target… I cannot see how this can be diminished. What about Ana’s sleep? Just because DFs slam CCed somebody for half a second, will Ana dart have a diminished timer? Then, how am I expected to know when does it actually ends?

A lot of people tend to confuse Overwatch with WoW. FPS are designed to eliminate random elements as much as possible so people can demonstrate their skills. That’s how an FPS gamer is satisfied… In WoW, diminishing CCs were actually implemented because those skills were never meant to be balanced around PvP. Overwatch is all about PvP.

1 Like

Another issue potentially with having DRs instead of just reducing CC is that the time to kill (TTK) is so low that actually surviving many of the more problematic CCs is unlikey, making the DR a non-fix mostly. Compare to WoW where you can be CC’d for 20 seconds and your teammates can survive without heals for a bit.

I feel strongly that the best thing to do for the health of the game going forward is to reduce the amount of CC in the game currently and actively avoid adding it in the future. CC can be hard to balance around, especially in a team setting like OW.

I feel that DF is more displacement-oriented but I understand where you’re going with your post. This, again, feeds into the fact that categories of CCs would have to be meticulously planned and implemented.

Furthermore, there is the issue of tracking all the CCs on the board. I don’t really have anything to offer to that other than

1. Immaculate team comms
  2. An enhanced UI

You’ve brought-up another good point to be considered in this regard. I’ll add this to the OP.