Difference Between Comp & QP?

Just wondering, how does the MMR grouping work in Quick Play? After already being in a rank, of course, not when you first start the game.

Am I grouped in QP by players near the same MMR, the same way I am in competitive?

Yes. The rules for matchmaking are approximately the same, except there are no grouping restrictions in quick play, and competitive MMR/SR is separate from quick play MMR (Overwatch Forums).

Thanks. Also, has anyone ever tried to approximate the amount of smurf accounts?

I’ve seen some people attempting to estimate the number of smurfs in top 500 (https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/7kioer/i_crunched_the_numbers_on_na_top_500_to_see_if/). Blizzard is trying to reduce this with by requiring SMS authentication for top 500 rewards (in Season 11).

I don’t know anyone who has attempted to estimate smurfs in the lower tiers, but it must be pretty high. I have three accounts, and I’m a relatively casual player. Console players get multiple accounts for free. It’s hard to suddenly switch to dps if you are a support main, because people profile snipe you. etc.