Determining ult position

I’m looking for a way to track where orisa’s ult lands when you place it, but the ult itself goes out too far. I have it set up so it takes the player position, and finds the ground from there, but orisas ult goes forward. I don’t know how to track how far it goes. Is there any way to find that?

Go to a flat place --> stop moving --> place the ult --> save the “position of(event player)” to a variable --> look at the position where the ult touches the ground --> save the “ray cast hit position(eye position(event player), add(eye position(event player), multiply(facing direction of(event player), 100)), null, null, false)” to another variable --> “distance between(variable1, variable2)” is how far the ult is away

Shanalotte, it can be useful only if Orisa looks <90 from ground but it is is >= 90 you would never know where it is.


More info about me and my game mods you can find here.

Then you probably didn’t understand what I suggested.
The method I mentioned was meant to determine the position where the ult is placed in order to hardcode it, assuming it is static and doesn’t depend on dynamic values such as movement etc. The method should get the distance between the player and the ult (distance).
So the ult position can be calculated during runtime with add(position of(event player), multiply(world vector of(forward, event player, rotation), *distance*))

You are missing such important thing like gravity. As more distance between you and an expected location you look at as less accuracy will be calculated. And if you are looking up then only math helps.

I don’t think the ult is a projectile though. When you drop Winstons shield it is always at the position of Winston, no matter where he looks at or what his movement is. I think the same applies to orisas ult. If this is the case, my method will most likely work.
Tbh I have never tried to use orisas ult in the air, so I don’t know if it has momentum or not. If it doesn’t my method works fine. If it does, it wont. Maybe the OP can try it out and tell if it works or not?

Shanalotte, did you ever tried to activate Winston’ shield on jump? Have you seen how players throw Orisa’ shield above walls to help its team while walking?

Shield != Ult.

Yes. And it fell straight down and left me uncovered infront of a bastion :stuck_out_tongue:

Here are your words about “dropping shield of Winston”…

Orisas shield physics != Winstons shield physics.

???

Edit: I compared Orisas Ult physics to Winstons shield physics.

No at all, it flies up and then down and it blows up my brain how to calculate the trajectory because one of my game mods really required this calculation.

An article on wiki about free falling might help , the problem might be the knowledge of the mass of the shield/shield projector/object you drop in air. We have no hints about that.

I don’t even know if this was OP’s point though. Orisa is unlikely to drop her Ult mid air. So my method might exactly be what OP wants. Only OP can tell.

1 Like

Indeed at this point i would agree with you.

Are you kidding? It won’t work if Orisa looks 90+ degree from ground. Open a custom game and test yourself.

No. We are talking about Orisas Ultimate (just to make sure)

During runtime? It wont. During testing to hardcode the position of the ult? Why would you want to look upwards?

I just did. Orisas Ultimate doesn’t have momentum or any other physics. If it gets used in the air, it will fall straight down, but thats it.

@OP So, apparently the position of Orisas Ult is world vector of(add(multiply(forward, 0.85), multiply(left, 0.17)), event player, rotation and translation)
If orisa is moving you have to wait out the cast time (0.4 seconds) of the ultimate before setting the position:

is button held(event player, ultimate) == true
-->
wait(0.4, ignore condition)
set player variable(event player, ultPosition, world vector of(add(multiply(forward, 0.85), multiply(left, 0.17)), event player, rotation and translation))

Edit: After some testing it appears to me that orisas ult does indeed have some momentum when used in the air. The offset is really tiny while jumping, but gets bigger when falling from higher ledges.

That is why I said you to open Overwatch and test it. Think you are standing as Orisa at second floor and activate your ult that drops on a first floor that you cannot see. Same when Orisa is on a bridge etc. There is many situations that you cannot see where your ult is activated.

Ah yes, I see.

These are edgecases though. If OP wants to workaround, he can do a downwards raycast from the ult position and then chase the vector a little forward depending on the height or something like that.

Just as a note, the vertical facing direction doesn’t affect the ult position at all.

Yeah, mixed ult and shield (ability 2) in my sick head while dealing with my last game mod (classic battleship) that needs to work with 2d array + 3 of 1d array with strong relationship. Sorry for being a little dumb :smiley: . Anyway, you need to calculate offset of your ult regarding ground a bit forward. Requires to be well-tested.

1 Like

it definitly is my point, the code you suggested i already have, I’m looking for a way to calculate trajectory.
Edit: to be clear this is for the post a while ago