December 2018 HUGE FPS DROP

12 December 2018. I updated the game for the event. I launched the game and there was a fps drop in main menu. I didn’t care it and I searched for quick play. In quick play, there was a HUGE fps drop and it doesnt go up. Like I stabilized it. I normally have 70-100 (sometimes 120) fps at overwatch but since I made the update, it was instantly dropped to 10-40. I saw rarely 50 but In general 30 or 40 and it shows me like I set the setting to 40 fps. It hardly ever goes up. I play on borderless windowed. When I open another application and put the game background, it instantly goes 60 fps and sticks. When I open the game it will be still 60-70 for 5 seconds than instantly goes down again. I closed the game and opened it again for so many times but it didn’t work. I have the settings all low except render scale (It is %100). Few seconds ago, I tried put the settings on high and played with it. No change. Fps is still the same, not lower nor higher. If there is a problem with the game, can you please search it dear developers ? And is there people who have the same problem with me ? I play the game since Season 2 (with the same laptop) and I never had such an FPS drop like that. With my respects.

My PC is MSI GS60 Ghost Pro.
Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX970M
CPU: Intel Core I7 6700 HQ
RAM: 16GB
Storage: I have so much space (250 GB on HDD, 25 on SSD and Overwatch is in HDD)

10 Likes

Same issue here. Used to have a steady 200 fps, and now stuck at 6-10fps when for example in quickplay. You can feel that its happening in menu already indeed. Please fix this Blizzard! I tried the ‘default’ tricks for fixing the game.
Am not able to play the game like this, obviously. Lets hope it gets resolved soon.

Cheers!

2 Likes

same here I thought might be becasuse of windows update then saw other games fine FPS went from 180 to 120

1 Like

What version of Windows?

windows 10 there was an update today

This should fix it. Win7 users are screwed
Edit: Well technically not “fix”, just a workaround to get the game run normally. Need to wait for Blizz to fix their code

7 Likes

yah that fixed mine thanks

Same here 2080ti + 5Ghz CPU and FPS went down by 50% after patch.

Used to get constant 300fps now I am getting 150fps.

I have no option for spatial sound in windows since I use custom sound card.

Windows 10 too but I don’t know it just solved

Same issue with FPS. I have it set to 150 but it drops to 4-20 fps. This is unplayable when that happens.

I have a: Predator Helios 300
i7 8th gen
GTX 1060
16 gb DDR4 ram
256 SSD

This is the steps for spatial sound I found on google and I did turn it on.

Spatial Sound Windows 10

Here’s how to enable it.

1. Right click the sound icon in the bottom right of the system tray.
  2. Select Playback devices from the context menu.
  3. Click the headphones or speaker type you’d like to enable spatial sound for.
  4. Click the Properties button at the bottom right.
  5. Choose the Spatial Sound tab at the top.
  6. From the dropdown menu, select Windows Sonic for Headphones (or other, if it’s for a speaker).
4 Likes

I have had a slight FPS drop right at the game coming on at the menu to select play and stuff for some odd reason.

I found that the windows update was stuck in error for 1803 build. I went to Microsoft and downloaded their tool, bypassed 1803 and went to 1809.

Two days now I have been stable. Hoping this was the issue and it is fixed.

saddly, for me it didn’t change anything :frowning: . I reinstalled windows, I used various guides, special tools, redone like 5 times all the steps on the guide proposed on pinned… I went from constant 300 fps to barely 160 and it kills me as I play mainly Widow… it’s really since windows update 1803 and ashe update. The Spatial sound trick does nothing too.

1 Like

have you tried updating windows to the newest 1809 version? you might need to go to their online catalog site to download it if your computer isn’t finding it when you try to update windows. what graphics card do you have?

That’s what worked for me was going to windows and installing 1809. Hopefully it will work for them too.

Actually yeah, the latest update came out the day before I did my format, so I had no choice to install it!

Looks like this fixed it for me, will update if any changes.

Okkkk guys! Strangely enough, 1809 was not all installed and more modules installed last night and I noticed a huge performance increase! That is so weird to be honest lol I even pushed my luck by opening Netflix on 4K and I was getting a steady 295fps, so it was definitely on Window’s end!

Im getting random drops from 140 fps to 35 fps . Im quite sure it started after new lunar update. Because
I have never experienced it before the update.
I7 6700
Gtx 1070
8 Gb ram
Can anyone help me please

1 Like

I have a brand new Asus ROG Zephyrus and it was working fine for a few days. Then suddenly my FPS went from 60 to below 10. I’ve tried everything out there from reinstalling the game, to defrag, to updating all my drivers, and even the above spatial sound settings. Nothing has worked.

It’s only occurring with Overwatch as I don’t see this issue with other online games. Anyone have any insight on this?