Death of OW/OW2 Predicted Over a Yr Ago

So I made some predictions back in June/July 2021. How much of this would you say has come true or somewhat leaning in that direction? I know its still early and somethings will change or get resolved but what are your thoughts about this?

This game will die off, i assure you, if WoW is any indication of their current stability.

Did you even bother to read the post or your just responding because you’re over the negative post?

Its amazing how controversial that statement is on here. I always tell people I have no faith simply because we’ve been down this road before, and Blizzard doesn’t seem intent on making any reasonable change (maybe they’re just spinning their wheels until they’re sucked into Microsoft?).

Why have faith in blizzard? Why? They’ve consistently let us down.

1 Like

5v5 is going to alienate some players who liked old Hog, D.Va, etc. and OW1 isn’t going to be a safe retreat because it will also implement 5v5.

Yep. I really hate what they did to zarya and DVA, making them turn from high skill ceiling characters into easy mode front liners that unironically take less skill to use than a Reinhardt in high ELO. This is by extension true of all tanks, almost all of them just don’t get punished so you can be recklessly aggressive now with a decent healer and DPS, unlike before where bad tank positioning couldn’t be mitigated by teammates as easily, and even small mistakes would get you deleted. OW1 tanks were so much more rewarding because how much more challenging they were (if anything they still needed nerfs in OW1 though lmao).

5v5 is going to over-tune the heroes and power creep will happen. (1 less tank → More freedom for long/mid range heroes → Close range champions needing a buff to stay relevant)

mid-long range heroes ruining the fun of the game has gotten worse now, in ELO’s where they have perfected aim. It makes playing DPS a lot less fun because it means a lot of the win potential comes from playing these heroes and winning aim duels, not outpositioning, not outsmarting, not anything else. It also means if you play anything but them you are at a stark disadvantage unless you have good dive co-ordination.

The Dev’s have failed numerous times, I have no faith they won’t do the same with 5v5 and I’m not sure we should have faith they won’t based on their track record.

proof is in the pudding. A soft-relaunch to remove the generous cosmetics system that was in place and add some questionable balancing changes.

Semi-true. I feel like they are getting worse over time though.

Semi-true. It’s not that some of these heroes are bad (e.g. DVA) its just some people can’t play them.

True. They have intentionally made sojourn OP for OWL lol

Balance is already ****ed and the game has previous issues that were fixed ages ago. E.g. people can glitch into walls/payloads when these issues were fixed in many maps ages and ages ago. Balance sucks, massive bugs (e.g. bastion). The game was evidently rushed.

On the predictions…

Queue times: There will always be a bottleneck. 1,2,2, is easy to fix than 2,2,2 as long as the 1 isn’t the most popular role.

Alienate player: Changes always do that.

Powerceep: If you compare 5v5 directly to 6v6 they will be powercreep somewhere no matter how you make 5v5. It’s more down to it being a different game mode so will need a different balance.

So yea you got your predictions right but I’d say there is no way they couldn’t have happened going from 6v6 to 5v5.