Deadlock Rebels preview

With only 3 weeks left before the novel is released, a preview of the first chapter has surfaced. I’m sure Blizzard will share it in a blog post as the date gets closer like they did with The Hero of Numbani, but for those who can’t wait you can find the free preview on the Chapters/Indigo listing for the book.

In this first chapter we learn some details about the Ashe family’s history, as well as a surprising revelation regarding what happened to civilian omnics during the crisis.

8 Likes

even if it’s only the first chapter, I love that details like BoB’s situation during the Omnic Crisis are not overlooked right from the start. I would very much like to know how old Ashe is in this book, so that you have a very accurate idea of the timeline.

Mention the golden bracelet and contextualize her Origin Video (the kids, the name of the house, the family business) … Yeah, real lore!

1 Like

According to the artist who made the cover, Ashe is 17, making the story take place 22 years ago.

Oh, right. Ty.

however we now know that bob existed before the omnic crisis, but he “went away” for a while. it would be very interesting to know if there will be more knowledge about Overwatch and its exploits in the world.

1 Like

I won’t spoil for the others that want to read it.

But I think this is the most nuanced canon interpretation of an overwatch character we ever got. (Keep in mind that I haven’t read Hero of Numbani so I don’t have that reference)

If the rest of the book is as well structured as these few sample pages, I think Ashe and McCree fans will have a lot of content to dig in.

What I disliked is something that they’ve been doing for a while, which is how they are constantly reducing the scope of things. For example: before, the overwatch organization looked big with international presence and influence, then they changed it to what looks like a few small strike/research teams. Now, they are doing the same with the omnic crisis.

1 Like

That preview was actually a pretty good read. That last Tracer comic had a little worried on the writing department but this is leagues above that.

3 Likes