Day 366 of the Mercy rework, and it's still the most complained about thing on these forums

I feel ya but I never play Bastion so can’t really comment on his balance and bugs.

Hopefully someone will listen to you.

He’s a stationary turret, easy to dive and kill due to his low mobility and a tank sized hitbox, the gatling gun has pretty huge spread, He’s stationary so you must be a complete potato to not kill him with someone like hanzo, Sombra hard counters him, so does: Hanzo, Junkrat, Genji, Tracer. He only has 20% IC, which is pretty low, self heal on a recourse meter. Ult has a 1.5 second cast time, at one point it gave additional 150 armor, but it was removed, it also has 1.5 second uncasting time which totals to 3 whole seconds. The only thing he hard counters are Heavy shield comps and tanks. Although to do that he needs a shield as well since let’s be honest, he’s not the most tanky hero. I wish they gave him the personal shield back but limited his rotation from 360 to 300 degrees or added headshots back.
The reason he was gutted was because scrubs complained about him so much, and you know why? Not because he was unstoppable, no, no, it’s because they hated to be defeated by “No skill bastion”. Funny, they complained about sym because she had auto aim even though that’s her only self defense utility aside of her barrier, people complain about brig, even tho she is hard countered by focus fire, spam, hack and burst damage, also because she doesn’t need much aiming. Yet bastion needed to aim, so why was he, no skill?

And how about no?

I want to play this hero in this game and have fun while doing so. Just because they’ve failed this rework doesn’t mean I should stop and go to another hero, or give up on this game completely. What a terrible way to think.

On the other hand, since they don’t give any regard to the feedback on Mercy’s rework, it’s probably better to stop playing her to make her pickrates so bad they will have to do something about her again. So I commend you if you think that far ahead.

1 Like

This is bordering on neurosis and harassment of the devs. Let it go.
Meanwhile, in Syria…

They added Wrecking Ball to main tank with out a barrier. They also wanted another dive main tank.

No it wasn’t for ‘fun’ moron.

Welcome to year 2 of the Mercy rework failure!

2 Likes

Speaking only for myself, I personally preferred her UP state before the rework. The momentum bug when she first got reworked was probably the best thing they put in there, at least from a fun/enjoyment perspective.

I think there’s also something to be said for a fun factor that comes from feeling like your character can do meaningful things in a match. That by playing better and smarter you can carry. This was a feeling I often had before the rework.

And I think that’s something that’s been lacking ever since the rework. As many others have observed, the nature of Res being on a cooldown and its high power as a basic ability reduces the overall skill differential. Additionally, because of the complete and utter interruption to you playing the game it’s an awful ability to use.

1 Like

new mercy is easier then old mercy

3 Likes

I think it would be better to just make the initial beam target heal more than the other beams.

Yeah, she got reworked because of league. which is bs.

i like the re-work, i think it balanced her very well.

The rework was perfectly fine and I quite frankly believe that it made her more fun and balanced. However the nerfs to her afterwards seem like slightly too much. IE 50hp healing

It’s a game. It’s meant to be fun, and they’re developing it to be both fun and competitive. That’s why they removed Mass Rez, because it wasn’t fun

You are lying because Jeff said “The rework was a huge success!”. Symmetra rework was a success aswell… you run and there are some turrets popping out of nowhere and you die while you cant get away, its like Junkrats trap + 50dmg/sec or the new Hanzo… UUUUUGEEEE Success aswell! UUUUUGEEEE

Mercy 1.0 (b4 invulnerability) was underpowered but fun. We want her to go back to this state. We’re also suggesting some tweaks to add more counterplay to it (LoS, cast time, etc.). All we want is for her to be fun again

1 Like

It’s because they’re forgetting half the problem.

Mercy players wanted an E. And that’s reasonable, because she didn’t have one and her kit felt sparse. Granted, it wasn’t actually sparse, but it felt that way because her gun was in the dreaded unwieldy ‘2’ land and two of her abilities were technically passives.

Non-Mercy players were sick and tired of rez, and they wanted it gone. More modest proposals wanted things like LoS restrictions, no rezzing through shields, and a cast time. More heavy-handed proposals wanted it gone completely.

In doing the rework, Blizzard tried to cater to both sides. They gave her an E, and simultaneously replaced the old unrestricted mass-rez with a single-target rez that had stronger restrictions like a limited range.

Fast forward to now, and you’ll see that Mercy players want the slap-on-the-wrist nerfs to mass rez, on top of a rather strong E. Whereas the hardliners of old still want rez gone.

So where have we gone? Well, I don’t know, but I’m fairly sure neither group is going to get what they want.

Yeah, it’s never fun blowing all your ults at the same time without killing the Mercy first, isn’t it? Funny how that’s somehow Mercy’s fault.

2 Likes

What if they worked multi rez into Valkyrie but gave it the radius of current rez? So you could rez more than one person but only as long as they died right next to each other. Increase Valkyrie’s ult cost a tiny bit to compensate and have the cast take a bit longer for each extra person. Situational enough to not be OP (in my experience people don’t die in neat little piles unless they were in a graviton), has counter-play (with the longer cast time for a multi rez, you have longer to shoot her in the face, and people intentionally clumping up for multi rez are just asking for a team wipe), and, importantly, doesn’t encourage letting your team die, since the more you try to rez at once, the less likely you are to succeed.

Uh no they removed mass rez because it promoted very unhealthy play of leaving your team and hiding. As well has being disheartening towards your motivation to win. Not the same.

It really depends on when you are talking about the discussion about Mass Rez. If you’re talking about the moment they put invincibility onto Mass Rez, that was about the time when a LOT of people started saying “its fine” as a short hand for saying “considering it took forever just for her ult to not be a suicide troll against the player trying to use it, and considering the far more likely result will be returning to F tier status, we’d rather take it as it is until she’s no longer the only hero without an E ability because realistically it’s not being being abused, its countered by simply playing properly, and its not strong enough to be a reason to pick Mercy over others”.

Ultimately the source of the problem was, is, and will forever be that there is no way to stop Rez without killing Mercy before she uses it, and it has guaranteed value in its use. That is its fundamental problem and until that is addressed, it will remain a balance problem.

EMP, Meteor Strike, and Syms sheild ult are also 3 ultimates that have no way to stop them. The difference though is that they have huge potential but there is no guarantee you’ll get anywhere near that potential. Syms shield? Walk through it. Might as well be 8,000 lols in her face. Doomfist can wreck you if he hits you? Lets revisit that “IF” portion because its a really huge “if”. Sombras EMP? Only worth something if there is follow up, and that window is pretty short.

The casting time on Rez was meant to add a “counter” to rez, but its a poorly thought out one. Rez doesn’t have to be a long horrible feeling cast time if there is a way to shut down Rez before it completes and negate its value.

My suggestion has always been make a way to stop Rez from completing once it starts. With an ability, physically walking into the rezing target, damaging them faster than the rez rebuilds the target, what ever it is, it just needs a solid counter besides “kill Mercy before she can cast it”.

Thats hugely unpopular though because it means addressing the topic level headed and without hyperbole where Mass Rez could go back to having 5 man Rez value without being OP because every single Rez completed was one that was allowed to be completed with every opportunity to stop it. Mass Rez Mercy was already punishing players with poor target priority, and to a point still does.

Lets be truly honest about this. Mass Rez was more hated because it harshly punished stupid play. Seagull in his famous rant video missed 7 opportunities to kill Mercy and even looking right at her and didn’t even try to kill her. He and his team was clearly setting up, Mercy retreated while the team drew attention to soak up ults, Seagull and crew blews for a 5 man kill that didn’t include the Mercy. Mercy Rezed and erased their ults spent hurting their ult economy harshly for playing like potatoes. Seagull then ranted about how impossible to counter she is when he absolutely should have known better. If it was Zen popping Trans, the same thing would have happened without any shred of doubt. It would have been called a clutch play. Lucio could have sound barriered and it would have likely resulted in almost the same thing and it would have bee called a clutch play. Mercy did it and got called scrub lord trash and it began a crusade to burn the witch.

I don’t agree with Mass Rez being able to get undeniable value like that, but because you can’t stop it once it starts, its guaranteed value. If you could stop Rez once it starts, Mercy just blew that Rez for nothing because she waited too long. 5 man kill not denied. She should have used it while the tanks were still up to swing the fight before it failed too far to be recovered.

That as a form of Mass Rez brings back choice to Mercy’s Ult use, and makes it counterable and makes “hide and Rez” basically impossible. Then the real mark of skilled Mercy game sense and ult management as well as team synergy is how well Mercy and Crew can recover a disadvantaged and losing fight. It also fits with her design of swooping in and saving someone at the right time, as well as discourages letting people die and is instead an effort to stop losing people before the team loses too many.

I wish this path was explored rather than outright right it off, and that people would consider it because it has real promise.

2 Likes