Day 366 of the Mercy rework, and it's still the most complained about thing on these forums

and other 1000 lies you can tell yourself overwatch team.The devs had my utmost respect and i loved ow with all my heart.But the whole mercy fiasko is a bit too much for me, a filthy mercy main.I just hope that they will make mercy fun and viable again before its too late

2 Likes

i agree with you.I just wait for the torb rework to come out,then they can focuse again on mercy.And yes they wasted too many resourses on mercy the last year but mercy right now is unfun underpowered and kind of sad to play as.They have until the end of time to fix their mistake and we will be waiting

1 Like

Nah, its Brigitte.

The rework was forced by the overwatch league?

What??
Mercy was almost never played pre-Valkyrie. In the pro environment Mercy was never an issue, for Pros Mercy became an issue in ladder play, where every other complaint about Mass Rez happened.

If Overwatch League had some semblance of power or a say in this Rework mess, Mercy would had been absolutely nerfed right after the World Cup.

1 Like

God, this is why i dont agree with a Revert “with changes”. Some of the people here that are demanding Mass Rez to have these changes, once said that said changes would be the death of Mercy.

There were threads with hundreds of upvotes that explained in very good detail why adding a LoS check, Cast time, or invul taken away would absolutely cripple Mercy and that instead, everyone should just “git gud”.

Not to mention, every Mercy main who agreed on Rez nerfs/or ideas for a rework was shunned and mass downvoted which meant their opinions were literally hidden by the other Mercy mains because “they were giving Blizzard ideas”.

But what surprises me the most is that there are people that want S2 Mercy Mass Rez back because she “was engaging and fun” even though Mercy got buffs mostly because Mercy mains found instantly dying for pressing Q “unfun”.

Time sure does things to people.

1 Like

We didn’t. The forums were full of suggestions to improve the challenge and playability of Valkyrie and E Rez for a good eight months–there was some talk about reverting from the get go, but the majority of Mercies seemed to feel that the rework had untapped potential to put Mercy in a good spot in terms of fun and balance.

#RevertMercy didn’t start building steam until about ten nerfs after the rework, when we lost every ounce of confidence in Blizzard’s ability to handle Valkyrie correctly. We have switched to asking for a revert not because we think it’s the absolute best thing for Mercy, because it bypasses this pathetically incompetent balancing team (who can’t seem to do anything but make Mercy worse) and goes straight to the programmers, who need only reapply and adjust some old code in order to restore Mercy, well… maybe not to a perfect state, but certainly to the best state that Blizzard is apparently capable of creating.

3 Likes

Other ideas have been floated by some of us and they were shot down by those saying oh no that’s not Mercy, or that’s too much like this hero or that hero and its like well the only save bet on Mercy still be recognizable to Mercy Mains is to go and Revisit how Rez worked as an Ultimate.

As for the Multi- Rez comments…

The “Reward” it doesn’t feel like a reward of Rezzing one person considering the current Risk of death for doing it does not equal out. If I’m going to risk losing most of my control for 2 secs in the game where I give most control of weather I live or die to other 11 people in the game then I want more than a 1 for 1. Why? Because dying in the process to pick up just one or rather just the thought of that possibly happening feels really bad that my play on Mercy is no more worth than potentially suiciding to what? bring back a more useful teammate because my value to a team is just Rez especially now that Mercy’s healing has been cut.

So I digress, I’ve for example made suggestions for a “Healing Explosion” Ultimate only to get back that it would just be unfun to play against and just being doing what Zen or Lucio do except not really. But oh well. I know one thing, _I found old Mercy (I mean before invulnerability) to far more fun, balanced, and fair to the Mercy, her team, and opponents then the current and since many are inclined to agree I’ve compromised on my ideas so that at least hopeful something gets through.

The rework was never a fail, overtime she got more reworks as she was still such a powerful hero. The only “fail” was the old resurrect, there have been so many flaws with her old ultimate making it extremely problematic and frustrating to play against. I get that it was “their punishment” for not paying attention to Mercy but you have to understand that the way resurrect functioned and the concept of it was a huge problem as her value wasn’t consistent, it was instant and extremely hard to “counter”, and it was pretty annoying. Mercy’s “punishment” for people not paying too much attention to her was extremely harsh. She was always a step ahead of the other supports. I understand that rez is beautiful when it’s an ultimate and can be really nice to pull off, however, the value you got out of it was too much for the low skill requirement. Blizzard didn’t want to encourage hiding from the fight and simply waiting for your team to die, you weren’t vulnerable as you were hiding and away from the fight and it can be used as a “punishment” against you. Her old ultimate had an issue where it had no counters, her only “counter” was to “kill her 4head” which isn’t as easy as you may think, considering you’re the one playing Mercy and haven’t really experienced the frustration that much anyway. Her resurrect was instant meaning that there was nothing that could really stop it which was one of the reasons it was problematic. The point of the rework was to balance her, which I think they did a great job at. Making Mercy a “fun” hero doesn’t necessarily mean that the only way it can happen is by reverting her, doing such a thing would create more problems than it fixes, it’s not gonna work. I understand the frustration of getting your hero nerfed over and over but if she’s still a strong pick after 11 nerfs then the nerfs were clearly necessary. Maybe next time if you’re looking to play a “fun” hero please pick something more skill demanding rather than complain about an easy hero being too “boring”. Harder heroes would naturally be labeled “fun” for obvious reasons.

If you’re trying to rez someone in the middle of a fight while your allies are dying, you’re doing it wrong. It shouldn’t be blamed on the ability itself, rez is more balanced and counterable compared to old rez. One support shouldn’t be able to bring her whole team back, what about the other supports? Mercy is too strong for the skill that her kit requires. It shouldn’t be as rewarding as it was, resurrecting your team is simply too much for a hero like Mercy.

That’s why I say remove Rez… but anyway…

What an unrealistic expectation for women. Men should be able to get their own food. :rage:

Removing rez won’t really be a big deal but the main problem with is it what are they gonna replace is with and what value is it gonna bring to the team? I personally think that removing it is unnecessary as there can potentially be bigger problems. Rez is already counterable, just because you’re able to counter it that doesn’t mean it should be removed. It’s balanced compared to what it used to be which was a complete mess. It’s not as simple as to simply remove the ability, it’s about balancing it. If balancing the ability is a fail then it should be worked on, however, rez is currently balanced and harder to use which is why you’re more likely to mess it up. The point of rez is to bring back an ally in the middle of a fight, however, if you let your team die simply because you weren’t patient enough to wait for the right time to rez and to figure out if it’s worth rezzing or not.

Oh all right oops. Sorry, I got really confused with the message of the post.

Healing and Damage Boost plus Mobility. If that is not enough then something else can found at a later date. Resurrect is still hard to counter and is successful often yet unfun to do. That is the worse arrangement effective but unfun.

I think it solves even larger design and enjoyability problems. We will just have to disagree on this one.

It is both an un-enjoyability ability to use and play against creating a situation of disempowerment for both sides. The ability also removes often enough the value of first picks which drag out the skirmishing phase of a game and will inevitably lead to her high pickrates once more as what happen in February. Rez is too strong in its current form, yet again unenjoyable for the Mercy. Further nerfs will come, but until the way Rez currently works is changed her value to team will be better than other supports.

Many right now feel the current nerf because they focused on healing, not Rez and so now they are being forced into a position where they will need to Rez more in order to be valuable.

Relative argument. This does not matter because it’s value is still to high for the effort put forth to both have or use it.

It has taken a year to get here. I think we can say that this experiment in “Rez” as a common ability has failed in terms of the “balanced” aspect, and has failed on the enjoyability aspect as well. With that I can say, it would be better to cut out the further nerfs to Mercy’s base kit now and remove Rez rather than going forward with the course of things which will result in Mercy once more being Rez focused instead of healing focused.

Balanced for now because people do not feel the “Must Pickness” of the character. However, this has shown to dry-up and once again we find people falling back to Mercy for consistent Healing and Rez.

No it is not to bring them back in the middle of the fight you yourself indicated in an earlier reply:

Really that “doing it wrong” is up to rest of the players in the match to decide not Mercy as she only controls the “E” press and then eveything else is up to others. In addition Mercy does not have control over a person dies so even that is not within Mercy’s control, so the ability’s is controlled by the other players more so than the Mercy.

Mercy can be made into a “off-healer” much like Zen & Lucio she would trade healing power for the fight swinging potential of her Ultimate thou that would likely mean a rethink on her Ultimate possibly going for an old concept that was never detailed known as “Salvation”.

At current, however, Mercy still will end up outshining the other supports once the Nerf Shock has passed due to her always available Rez.

This is the other issue. The rework has only made this worse. The effort of thought required to play Mercy now is too low and should be raised to allow for a more impactful game play experience. This can include skill shot like abilities that work like Symetra’s current Orbs in order to raise the effort required to play Mercy and create more opportunities for more transferable skills.

The fun to play aspect had more to do with fight swing potential with the old Ultimate i.e. Impactfulness as a pose to the OP-ness of Mercy 2.0’s release.

In other words Mercy Mains who are commenting usually point out that they do not want her to be in her OP state, but wouldn’t even mind if she were “F” tier as she once was in the early seasons of the game.

Now for further reading we can go into the definitions of the two kinds of power Mercy has represented _Mercy 1.0 = Impactfulness_ and _Mercy 2.0 = Baseline Power_. (expand for detail)

Many term this a power, but really this using the term “power” to represent two different qualities Impact (Resurrection Ultimate) vs Baseline Power (Chained Beams, Rez on Cooldown, Valk duration).

Impact power can be very high but that is in trade with short duration its spontaneous power or in order words a power spike.

Base Line power cannot be very high or else the character will be consistently overpowered as it is “the power of consistency” because by the nature of consistency it always overall more strong than inconsistent power spikes that must be timed in order to be effective.

So the main concept of providing “E” abilities has to do with compensating nerfs to Resurrect such as:

• LOS
  • Cast time before completion
  • Reduced health of brought back teammates
  • Reduced number of teammates brought back
  • Reduced radius of the Ultimate

In addition, there concepts for an “E” that would be needed to be combo-ed with Rez in order to make Rez feasible such as an “E” that grants Damage Reduction on an enemy that is hit with a non-damaging projectile that travels similar to Syms orbs.

Also I want to thank you for getting this far into my reply to you as I’m sure it is quite verbose. It takes players such as yourself who are will to hear us out on our concerns with Mercy that will allow for a more amicable solution to be pursued. I’m sure some Mercy Mains may seem hostile to you in replies sometimes, but really they have just had they patience worn thin from all that has been happening including the feeling that they are being ignored and/or misunderstood.

I think this sums some of the sentiment up:

4 Likes

It’s been 542 days since bastion was gutted and left for scrap In F tier.

If the same 100-200 people are complaining on the forums everyday, is that really a problem with the game or the people who, despite the thousands of other people just getting on with playing , still come back and say “no… the old way was better”. Many of those complaining have admitted they no longer even play the game.

Least mercy gets attention and they actively try to work with her. Look at bastion…lol poor guy has been ignored.

1 Like

That’s why they added wrecking ball, right? For performance, not fun?

I highly doubt it. New Mercy is ‘active’, yeah, but many people have voiced in support of a slightly nerfed Mass Rez (only damage reduction on res, no invincibility, need LOS, etc.) I can see why they’re complaining, too.

‘HEROES NEVER DIE!’ flies around is much less cool than ‘HEROES NEVER DIE!’ resurrects entire team to full health

She should be given mass rez back with some sort of Purge on her E.

1 Like