Damage creep isn't real

Don’t forget to gaslight the community, too! I hear that works a treat.

2 Likes

Overall I’d say we have less armour now since we don’t have Brig giving teammates a ridiculous amount of armour every 6 seconds, and torb doesn’t have armour packs anymore. Yes some heroes got health increases, but not enough to really make this claim, imo.

2 Likes

Except for Cassidy, Widow, Genji (aka the earliest meta heroes we had) and that is ignoring heroes that are the same, which is quite a bit of them. As for the rest the decent heroes barely moved and the bad heroes, who again you should never have been picking, gained damage so while the damage in a game has gone way up since launch, the overwhelming majority is not coming from the DPS role.

To use my earlier analogy DPS are a car driving 70 on the highway while Tanks and Supports are each driving 120. They might all be speeding but they are not the same.

1 Like

Unironically Baptiste is actually one of the lowest DPS heroes in the game assuming 100% accuracy. Zenyatta (Launch healer) significantly outdamages him. I think the real problem with the healing role is how everyone went from “off healer” to “main healer” starting from Ana on. It used to be that Mercy was the only “main healer” and her tradeoff was a complete and utter lack of utility or agency in dealing damage. Having higher healing means we need higher damage and more burst to kill. Which causes damage creep in the first place. I don’t think Baps DPS is really the contributor here. It’s more the healing and survivability that every healer Ana on has brought.

Meanwhile people already die so fast in current game…

blizz: lets make it even faster why not.

3 Likes

Don’t be silly, everyone knows if you make dealing damage more dynamic, more reliable, and remove ways to stop damage, and nerf abilities that absorb damage. That’s not damage creep, that’s just making it easier to damage, more reliable, unable to be stopped, and having less ways to deal with it! Which is completely different!

3 Likes

Except you cannot assume 100% accuracy because we are not shooting at big bulky barriers (unless you are a tank in a double shield mirror). Lucio/Mercy/Zen//Moira are just not going to have the accuracy that you get from a Bap (and Brigg has to get close). Ana can pull it off but has nowhere near the mobility therefore it is possible to deny her damage.

Meanwhile Bap can, and should, use his mobility to dodge your cover while using his weapon. A high-level Bap’s damage is fight changing in the same way a high-level Ana’s ability to just have perfect nade’s or Brigg’s control can just win a fight (or Mercy’s ability to never die).

I am not selling short Bap’s healing but by existing he brought a lot more damage and healing to the plate in a way that the game did not really have before. You could argue Moira was similar but her damage was never really focused, it was typically slower, and, if we are being honest, she has almost never been very good.

Its weird to pretend that the second weakest gun in the game is a serious threat. Bap isnt contributing to any significant damage Creep in the least. He does have an accurate gun, yes, but the tradeoff for that accuracy is dirt poor damage.

You should check average damage for healers on overbuff. I bet you’ll be surprised to read on average Moira, Zen and Lucio are outdamaging Baptiste game to game. Zen as much as a 30% higher average damage.

Bap is only not contributing damage creep in your fairy tale scenario where everyone has 100% accuracy. Real Overwatch games do not have that. Real Overwatch games have the best Soldier in the world around 45% accuracy and even that isnt separating damage to tanks versus damage to smaller targets so basically your imaginary scenario is so divorced from real Overwatch we might as well be talking about another game entirely.

In the real game of Overwatch seeing Bap on the killfeed is no different than seeing a Tank or DPS on it. If I see a Bap get a multikill it isn’t surprising to me or anyone else, but for any other Support, save for the occasional Zen play, it is a surprise.

Imaginary hypothetical numbers when shooting against a wall is cute but it has no bearing on the actual game of Overwatch. Bap’s ability to take good angles better than most of the DPS roster combined with good burst damage that is accurate and can be done safely is how he pops off. Doing damage in Overwatch as a non Tank is about finding angles, taking quick shots, and not leaving yourself exposed. More than any other Support Bap excels at all 3.

Man, just check Overbuff. On average Lucio, Moira, and Zen are significantly outdamaging Baptiste. Those numbers aren’t theorycrafted. It’s actually what happens in practice, in game, on average.

Bap is one of the lowest damage supports on paper and in practice. I guess you could argue his ult has contributed to damage creep.

yes tracer very much so is stronger than

stronger than strong

she has been that strong in the old days of dive. before goats

Echo is not S tier
she is like A or B
the S tier dps are Tracer, cassidy, widow, solider and hanzo

yes it was over if you were playing against tracer dive way back when

I would love to play the game what you play in which Widow is in S Tier.
In her current condition, Widow is in most of the lists in B Tier.
In the last OWL season, Widow had a pick rate of just 4.5%, which was ranked 11th out of 17th among the DPS (Tracer has 41%). In the current week, on overbuff (i know not the best, but the only available source) in GM, Widow has just 1.79% (1.38% on all ranks) Pick rate, which is top 7 on the DPS scale. Top 1-6 are: Tracer, Cassidy, Soldier 76, Hanzo, Ashe, and Echo.

1 Like

thank you for realizing this, but as it is really the only available source for ladder its what we have to use

Widow never really should be having a top pickrate in owl because she is shut down with team work and coordination something owl teams usually have. also unlike last season where allot of more ranged comps were played like double shield this season other than the start where rush was played it was mostly some form of Dive.

ignoring ashe for a second and focusing on her between her and echo widow counters echo or at least forces her to play around cover while echo on her own can struggle to get close to a widow.

by no means is widow bad and out of the 5 I put there she could easily be moved down to A. I just put her there because as as a high diamond low masters player she is one of the dps I see the most often and is usually one of the strongest options to switch to against whatever comp they are playing