D.Mon (MEKA) Hero Kit Concept

This iteration is an anchor tank / bruiser; think Rein x Orisa with dashes of Winston & D.Va, but hopefully feeling like her own worthy hero.
I have tried to avoid damage numbers as I am not a game designer & I feel that balanced values can be produced working up from my suggestions/ideas.

**D.Mon Lore Summary & Speculation**

For the record, I don’t think they should add all the MEKA pilots, especially not yet.

There are several factors to consider in order to do such a thing correctly: releasing each one incrementally while prioritising more actualised characters from the lore, giving each MEKA unique & relevant hero kits, giving them interesting backstories & future prospects in the lore; all the while still not overshadowing D.Va or making her redundant…

So my reasoning why D.Mon over anyone else is because there’s potentially loads of story & possibly even good story to be told through her.

As for her & D.Va’s relationship; apparently they both have the “D.” prefix from being in the same e-sports team, but there are other suggestions that they are far closer than we definitely know, to some extent at least.
That on its own already suggests they are close, or at least know each other better than any of the other MEKA pilots do.

For further things, these are largely suggestive, but we can glean some relatively sensible/clear information from them…

On the Busan MEKA HQ map, their rooms & gaming bean bags are situated next to one another. Nothing huge but it does further prove their familiarity. It could possibly suggest that they are genuinely reliant on each other in this extreme situation & even that they asked particularly for their rooms to be adjacent because of this.

During Shooting Star, it is hearing D.Mon get hit during the giant gwishin fight (flashback) that seems to be the exact moment (within the greater situation) that breaks D.Va & induces the behaviours we see her display in Shooting Star.
This suggests that D.Va truly cares for D.Mon, possibly (& understandably) more than the other MEKA members.

We could take this further & hypothesise that D.Va is particularly affected by this not just due to their long-lasting relationship, but due to what exactly D.Mon means to D.Va.
D.Mon being taken out surprising D.Va to such an extent suggests she would have never imagined this to occur. We can take from this that D.Va views D.Mon as an older sister, role model or mentor; or at least as a strong fighter or dependable team-mate.
The fact that this also hurts her emotionally shows how much faith/respect D.Va must have in/for D.Mon.

Then, finally, we can look at D.Mon’s attitude towards D.Va. The one image we do have of her is at the press conference following the giant gwishin attack.

Firstly, the look on her face, directed towards D.Va, is hard to definitively read; but she is very likely feeling anything from frustrated, to jealousy, possibly even overlooked. She doesn’t look happy at least.
We can ascribe this reaction to the situation at hand, but that could well be part of the problem also. D.Mon could well be jealous of D.Va for her fame, for her comparative recognition within MEKA despite her efforts, or even annoyed at how she feels Hana has changed into D.Va. She could obviously both be jealous of D.Va’s situation & D.Va herself, or attribute one to the other.

She could also be disappointed in herself, being a very obviously confident & strong person (D.Mon, Beast) & is developing an inferiority complex because of her best friend outperforming her & suffering far less.
There is also the possibility that she finds her sole value in life through piloting with MEKA & D.Va’s existence tarnishes that idea; or that she didn’t want any of this at all & has been putting up a strong front for everyone else’s sake, but no-one has actually considered that she might be suffering too, especially her often-absent best friend, D.Va.

A small note on this also, D.Mon has the exact same grease streak on her face that D.Va has within the short. This is used with D.Va as a contrast to her pink whiskers to suggest her duality, hard-working nature & her psychological & emotional damage.
This is later expanded upon through use of a plaster on the same location to indicate she is now healing (emotionally).

I would take this to suggest at least that D.Mon is working just as hard as D.Va & has her own emotional baggage due to the situation (with MEKA & with D.VA herself); which again would feel even worse when your best friend seemingly lives the high life & gets all the glory for going through way less hardship (until the events of Shooting Star).

The other MEKA pilots all COULD have impactful stories to be told that don’t interfere with or overshadow each other; but this will be difficult to achieve.
However, this existing & possibly strained relationship with D.Va can open up loads of avenues for story-telling (especially in terms of intra-MEKA conflict) to move us forward & that is why I think D.Mon at least is worth adding at some point.

I’ve also tried to only use aspects of her mech’s design that we have definitely seen in either Shooting Star or the Busan MEKA Base map.
So if any of this feels familiar, it’s because all that we know definitively about her mech’s kit at present is very similar to existing game mechanics (Rein’s shield, D.Va’s boosters). But I have added some of my own ideas based on these where possible.

**D.Mon Hero Kit**

D.Mon - Beast Mech

HP: Anywhere from 500 - 1000 depending on size & relative tanking abilities/statistics, split between health & shields or armour.
If Beast stays near 2x Rein’s size, 1000 may even be necessary, but I’d rather not take it that far & that’s also very unlikely as it seems unfeasible. I’d imagine with a shrunk in-game model we will end up with a 600/700 health pool.

Primary Fire [M1]: “The Beast’s Claws” (Close Combat Limbs)

3-hit combo with knockback on final hit.
2 single jab punches, 1 double palm / thrust kick.

Faster than Rein swings, lower damage. (50?)
1st 2 hits only hit single targets, larger hitbox (& damage?) for 3rd hit.
Each hit could dash Beast forward a very small amount.

Alternate Fire [M2]: “Thick-Hide” (Personal Shield)

Raise personal shield a la Rein.
2000 - 3000 HP, see Shooting Star for size. See E for why so much.
Could differentiate from Rein in some way;

• Makes D.Mon stationary but gives some kind of resistances.
  • Only allows you to move in short hops, but these hops cause knockback.
  • Juggernaut movement style that gains speed when continuously moving in a single direction.
  • Pressing M1 while shield is active changes the shape/size of the barrier.
  • Pressing M1 while shield is active gives it an extra property, such as a repulsive blast when damaged in a certain time frame?

All of the above extras are huge maybe’s.

Ability 1 [E]: “Vanguard Aegis” (Deployable Barrier a la Orisa)

Place a copy of your personal shield within a close range.
500HP barrier, subtracting the amount from your shield’s total health pool.
Can place max of 2/3 at a time?

AoE knockback & damage on placement, acting very briefly as physical cover to instigate damage, then becoming a regular barrier.

Either no cooldown (due to shield-health distribution mechanic) or a relatively short one. (4-6 sec?)

Ability 2 / Reload [R]: “Reclaim/Rend” (Return your deployed barriers into your shield generator)

Recall any placed barriers within range into your shield’s health pool.
Barriers do not dissipate to do this, but move quickly from current position to D.Mon’s position unless LoS/environment prevents this, at which point they dissipate & the shield health will not be instantly recovered (instead it will shortly start to regenerate as normal).

Any enemies in path of barriers returning to D.Mon will be knocked towards her & damaged.
Again, in this short instance, barriers act as physical objects, & can still be destroyed in flight based on their current health.

Again, either no cooldown or a moderate one. (8-10 sec?)

Ability 3 [Shift]: “Stampede” (Uses thrusters to accelerate)

Mid-way between D.Va boosters & Rein charge, 3-4 second duration?
Can perform all other abilities during this period.
Grounded, no pin but more manoeuvrable than Rein charge, more damage & knockback than D.Va, or no contact damage & all damage has to come from punch combos etc.?

OR when Stampede is active; D.Mon gains slightly increased movement speed & alterations to her M1 & M2.
M1 now causes her punches etc. to dash forward significantly more than before, or at all if this is not initially implemented.
M2 causes her to raise her shield, but locks her movement to her current direction. While in this state, the longer she continues to move in that direction, the more speed she will build up; entering a knockback charge state similar to Hammond’s fiery ball. I referred to this as a “Juggernaut” style movement mode earlier in this concept.

When using Primary Fire (Punches) during Stampede, the final hit could be changed from the knockback kick/double palm.

• The 3rd hit could be a grab & throw, suppressing the chosen target & launching them a great distance. I would not want this to have wall impact damage; as much as I like Doomfist, the community would not appreciate another one-shot punch->wall technique.
  • It could also be an uppercut, launching the targets into the air along with D.Mon, so as to also give her some vertical mobility?
  • It could also be a jumping ground slam, dealing AoE damage?

Any of these “combo finishers” would prematurely end the thruster mode if executed. The option to cancel it prematurely could also be a consideration.

Moderate cooldown (6-10 sec?)

Ultimate [Q]: “The Beast’s Cage” (Spinning shield transformation Ultimate)

8 copies of her deployable barrier (500HP) project around her at regular intervals at a similar radius to Winston’s bubble, spinning to damage & knockback enemies that they make contact with, while also shielding from incoming fire; acting as physical objects when contacting enemies, but generally acting as barriers for teammates to shoot through.
This lasts 8-10 seconds & D.Mon can perform all her other abilities as normal while this is active.

Using Reclaim [R] will also cause the barriers summoned by the ultimate to push in towards D.Mon quickly before returning to their original distance, knocking any enemies close enough further towards her.

You can set the orientation of the spin: clockwise or anticlockwise by pressing Q multiple times a la Symmetra’s Photon Barrier.
Possibly pressing Q again while the transformation is active will allow the spin direction to be changed. This could only be allowed once, available a certain number of times or infinitely usable within the limits of the ultimate’s duration.

Skip to 7.15 in the video below to see a visual example of how I envision this working.
[Earthen Aegis Arcana]

Passive [Q]: “Dismount/Summon the Beast” (Basically - Eject/Call Mech)
It seems silly for the other MEKA pilots to not also do this, as much as Blizzard & the community will hate the idea & as sort of boring as it is… It does just make sense though.

Baby D.Mon - 150 HP.

Uses a shotgun similar to Enforcers (Retribution); needs to charge to fire heavy damage close-range slug/pellets.
More close range threat, less ranged ult charge build compared to D.Va.

She could also get one 500HP barrier, or can summon a previously placed one to her location; but this is likely too much.

Summon the Beast [Q]:

Beast bursts up from the ground in front of D.Mon, knocking enemies up & away.
D.Mon climbs up the back of the mech & hops around the front into the open cockpit.

Conclusion/Summary

D.Mon’s high health pool & shielding potential is mitigated by her lack of any ranged abilities & low-moderate mobility. She has a great deal of area denial (largely in the form of forced movement), but this can also mitigate the potentially high amount of damage she can do with her nearly pure close-range combat.
Any thoughts?

4 Likes

The health things seems about right for sure :slight_smile:

I will never not love the combo lol

The shields heath sounds about right to me. I think the draw backs will vary depending on how they design the shield in game. Like will it stay big enough to just cover the critbox or will they make it larger if it’s doesn’t cover the full body that can be a good reason to give her more health than the average tank.

The shield idea is super cool I like it! The knockback would be in interesting.

Stampede would be really fun with the m1 :slight_smile:

That ult would be beast. The spinning shields would be great for clearing out an area. Basically forcing enemies it to be trapped in a arena with you lol

I think it looks awesome it’s purpose is definitely something we need. A hero that can force its way in, set up and deny an area from the ememies would be great! Awesome job! 10/10 :heart:

1 Like

Thanks yo, between all the kits out there now they must be able to make something good xD.

1 Like

Most definitely! There is so much you can do with them. There’s tons of possibilities :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t know exactly how big a fan of the lore you are overall, but does this interest you at all?

If you have any feedback or thoughts I’d super appreciate it :slight_smile:
1 Like

If Beast is near 2x Rein’s size D.Mon won’t be able to get out of the spawn with her mech.

1 Like

the only thing I don’t like is the part about her maybe losing shields permanently. If she casts a shield outward, it’s health should only be removed while it’s out, so once it’s destroyed, her main barrier begins to restore it at the same rate that reins barrier recharges.

2 Likes

Nice spot! I hadn’t touched on the shield regen but your idea is how I would like it to work in some aspect. I also didn’t mean for it to be permanently lost, just temporarily instead of regaining the health into the shield’s pool instantly through her R ability.
I would want at least some delay for the regeneration of that portion of shield health, maybe by capping the max for a short time? I’m just trying to balance it out so that you can be made to run out of shields :smiley: or so that your personal shield can suffer briefly from poor deployable barrier placement.

Ah yeah, I’m aware the current size makes it totally unfeasible, I just wanted to acknowledge that it’s a factor to discuss & work around, thinking about how it would impact the hero if it actually were the case ha! :slight_smile:

It’s a pretty good video. I like it. There’s was a couple little funny parts. I laughed around 20 mins. It’s really long though. I think you should break it up into a couple videos when you do it like that. That way it’s not so drawn out. But yes! No live action and they need to start linking to gether the characters so we can see where thier affiliation lies In relevance to overwatch and talon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah that one was so long because there was so much to cover within the overall topic ha! Maybe I should’ve put the bit about choosing sides etc into its own video, thanks man that really helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

For sure! It’s good seeing someone talk on the subject :blush: thank you!

1 Like

Ha thank you man :slight_smile:
Even little stuff like that helps!
I’m working on the one about Overwatch now, I might split it into 2 videos: 1 talking about Overwatch as an organisation & the 2nd talking about the members that join.
Would that be better that way to you? Or as one video briefly talking about the organisation, then moving onto the characters? Both sections are relevant to each other after all.

Also, starting work on a King concept ha!

Guys here is a size comparative of the mekas and D.mon(5:45 video time) is big for sure and it need a big healthpoll but 1000 is a lot 700 with 500 as shield looks good enough. And for Shield i would change it to a bioplasma shield that holds solid bullets and throw it back when closed

Cassino(5:12)
D.mon(5:45)
King(6:08)
Overlord(6:26)

As you all can see all models are there and i dont see no true reason to not have they as heroes.

2 Likes

Thanks, we’ve been using similar discussion, MasterIanGamer did one as well I’m sure.
That’s where I found out Beast’s in-game model is double the size of Rein. This wouldn’t work at all in-game ha.
I’ve discussed it’s basically unfeasible, but I included it as a potential option just in case Blizzard do something ridiculous with it.
I imagine ultimately they would just shrink the model somewhat, with it still being the biggest in-game, so yeah 700ish seems fair at that point.

The shield is actually 2000-3000 in this idea, you can place 500HP shields like Orisa, but that is subtracted from the max health of your personal shield unless you recall it.
A reflective shield idea would also be an option to add to M1 while M2 is active yeah nice :slight_smile: I’d used that idea in another hero concept & tried to avoid giving her any ranged damage so didn’t want to bring it into this one too ha!

There could be some legitimate reasons to not have them included in the main game; that depends on their release schedule, relative hero kits, impact on the lore & what impact adding each of them (never mind all of them) would have on people’s attitudes towards D.Va.

If Blizzard can balance all these things; releasing them incrementally while prioritising more actualised characters from the lore, giving each MEKA unique & relevant hero kits, giving them interesting backstories & future prospects in the lore; all the while still not overshadowing D.Va or making her redundant…

THEN, we can get all the MEKA pilots. Or just for an event mission would be fine.

I would be glad to not seen they wasted in a event mission(and im scared has hell because looks so possible). And for D.mon i think they did oversized BEAST and they would shrink in by 80% at least.

1 Like

If they don’t make the hero kits very different or exciting, or can’t; then that’ll have to be the best we get I’m afraid.

The potential for their kits to end up being too similar to D.Va’s (or a few other existing characters) is a genuine concern & that at least shouldn’t make it into the main game.
If they make the other MEKAs as just modified D.Va’s, I’d be happy to just fight the gwishin in my slightly different D.Va & I wouldn’t miss them from proper Overwatch. :slight_smile:

i Agree they need to be made very different from each other. Because of that i defends that D.va passive(Baby D.va) be exclusive of her, and the mekas picks DPs and Supports roles instead of Tank(D.mon exception).

2 Likes

That is where we will disagree I’m afraid.
It makes no logical sense to not have the MEKA pilots eject from their mechs, it’s not a special ability of D.Va’s; it’s just getting out of her mech, something any pilot can do.
You can make the Baby versions more or less relevant to each class, or at least diversify them enough so that playing as either isn’t the exact same. But this could also easily feel boring, which is part of why they may not be added at all.

Them not being tanks is also somewhat difficult; they all have larger than average hitboxes & at least in-world are giant mechanical armoured walking tanks. They will all logically be more durable than the average person.
Them being tanks doesn’t stop them also being used as pseudo-DPS either, look at D.Va’s history & how Hammond can be used now; they’re tanks that can be played basically as DPS. Just because they all classify as tanks doesn’t mean they can’t have more specific purposes or even be hybrid types.

I’m starting to get a feeling that if they do add all the MEKA pilots to the game, you will only be allowed to choose one on a team in a match & D.Va’s hero icon will change to “MEKA Squad” with a dropdown list of the MEKA heroes to use. This could at least keep certain similarities between their kits from not feeling too boring & hopefully prevent an obnoxious 6 tank meta.
Because the MEKA META, so to speak, would likely be one of the worst things that could possibly happen to the game.

Cool thank you! I think they would all excel at being unique and awesome heroes too :slight_smile: blizzard wouldn’t release them if they felt like d.va. No reason to worry :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree meka meta would be a shame. But still wanted the mekas the big truth is i want because im not happy at all with the launch time of heroes. 3 for year is bad for me in so many levels and when i saw 4 models just waiting to have skill i say bring it, and do it now.

2 Likes