Customizable UI

I always love being able to customize anything.

I gave up trying to suggest such things with Blizz after the abomination of a UI for Diablo 3. It was fine just before release.

You can do this with addons.

This actually sounds like a good idea. I’m on board.

Oh? I’ve never really played any other Blizzard games… What happened there?

Well, before Diablo 3 release in its Beta form ALL the skills where shown in one big panel. Just before full release, they changed how you navigate your skills. Instead of one big panel with all the skills to look at all at once, they felt it was needed to split the skills into categories for “new” players.

All this change did was make it tedious to review and compare your skills. You don’t even have that many skills and wouldn’t be a problem to put them all up on the screen.

So you have to look at 3-4 skills before having to change the page to look at more. This is just slow, when you want to compare damage and other things.

I made a thread back then when I wanted to “help” and supply free testing for their game about this very thing. Seemed I was the only that gave a damn.
People focused on how our skill panel was restricted to what Blizz deemed the skill we needed to use and in what spot, for “new” players. They just added a check box to lift this restriction. I turned it off and never looked back.

Oh gee… That does sound awful. I don’t really play any games like that, but I can definitely see how that would cause a lot of issues. There’s already a lot of stuff, and needing to scroll sounds horrific.
That scares me.

scroll? I wish! No.

Clicking each page to show 15% of your total skills each time in stupid categories.

Uy… That’s even worse. Was there an animation in between as well?

lol, funny how you mentioning this, thankfully, no. It really felt like they wanted to annoy us with how they designed certain aspects of the game.

I’m currently having an argument with someone in the forums about a 3 shot burst gun, they personally want included. OP doesn’t really understand basic game design for their arguments. The OP wants something without really giving a legit reason for why this is needed except the OP wants it.

Is that here? I saw it, but didn’t really bother with it.

Don’t worry about it. I just got caught up in it… I was just saying how the topics are similar to game design.

Personally I would love to see not only abioity to move parts of UI but also change their style to character specific. For example Lucio Style - with Health being equalizer. Player portrait being more discoball-esque. Abilities in form of vinyl discs etc.

1 Like

OH, okay that makes sense. Silly me.

I’m not necessarily against this. Maybe they could allow community “skins” for the UI.

1 Like

As a players with about 1k hours in afps games I can say that customizable interface is more than welcome in any fps game.

1 Like

This’d be great. I’d make the damage markers way bigger. I’ve died several times just from not noticing I’m being shot. Tiny health bars are my least favourite recent game trend.

2 Likes

I’d move my health bar to the top centre, just like in the halo days.
Also because I tend to randomly drop dead from chip damage.
‘oh i was low?’ is something i’ve heard even pro players say when it happens to them.

2 Likes

I agree 100%. I don’t have this issue as much because my left eye is a lot better than my right, though.

I’ve spectated people who thought that they were killed in one hit because of this, and proceed to get super angry/confused. I agree, it’s definitely an issue.

2 Likes

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE
Jeff made a post

The important bit Jeff says they’re working on…

1 Like

Praise \o/
I hope that does mean that they might make customizable UIs or something similar as opposed to just modifying existing assets and whatnot.

It could also mean changes to the opacity on objective markers etc, they ackowledged it was something players were asking for a long long time ago.
You can trust I’m not going to shut up about it if they dont implement/ address customisable UI.

1 Like

Agreed. I still can’t wait to see what they’re planning. :heart: