Crowd Funding for competition

So, the new hanzo skin. Part of the sales will be going into the prize pool.
Microsoft/Activision is now down to begging players to pay for prizes in organised comps?
I mean, it’s not like the company has monetised every single aspect of this game - I paid the ‘PVE’ experience, more fool me.
Now they are making us pay to help cover the cost of having competitions.
Quick shot in the dark, why not garnish top level exec pays and bonus structure to help pay for it? We all know that the entry level workers are not getting paid award wages, I would imagine that mid-level management would be almost on par with industry standards, just to keep them in place.
Hey, here’s a plan - why not start a charity and give 5% to someone or other and pocket the rest under “cost of business expenses”. Seems to be the direction this game is headed.

3 Likes

maybe cut their CEO (what bobby kotick used to have)'s paycut and use that to pay for the prize pools for organised comps (he got like 300 million in compensation https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/13/23915559/activision-blizzard-ceo-steps-down-kotick-microsoft)

1 Like

How is that begging players?

You got some content in game, that you usually do, for the usual price that blizzard usually does. Except that will take part of its sales to directly fund into the competition.

Cause passing on the cost of prizes for a competition you’re running is something smalltown matchups do. Not multibillion dollar companies.

1 Like

You’re going to get some shills gaslighting you into not questioning why a billion dollar company is crowdfunding with a terrible skin that’s The Fly 2 levels of painful fusion between Sonic and Hanzo

1 Like

anyone got a list of other companies that do this…cause i have a strong suspicion blizz is not the first or only one to do this…(for the record i dont like it either)

It’s pretty common in the fighting game community. Capcom has been doing it for years. You get special stage or skins for a few bucks, and part of proceeds go to funding prize pools at tournaments.

The only ify point here is the price point. It’s a bit too high to attract most people to contribute. Only diehard OWCS fans and Hanzo fanatics are going to buy it.

They did that with OWL too.

Who keeps pushing for esports in this casual game?

1 Like