Crossplay update soft region locked everyone

What website was that? Can you please link it here? Thanks.

sorry I forgot D: maybe it was Dextero lol

1 Like

Yeah it is :smiley: I just checked it :smiley:

h ttps://www.dexerto.com/overwatch/blizzard-overwatch-region-lock-change-ping-issues-1601293/

2 Likes

You just don’t realize what the issue is…Now the issue is not getting into a match in a far away datacenter. Due to this non-client-centric change, we need to spend much more time queueing and end up with a match with no communications and no fun. We’d rather get into a far away datacenter with a bit high ping that brings us more fun. It’s so pathetic from a strategic perspective…Does Blizzard really see an upside in revenues by doing so?

2 Likes

Great. So after this change, the Windows Firewall trick from further up this thread stopped working. And this happened after disabling just 2 sets of IP addresses that are close to me.

Again, Blizzard - it’s not ALL about the PING. If you are this hell bent on keeping the global server, keep it. I don’t care. Just let us choose our preferred language and play with people we can communicate with. Is this so much to ask?

8 Likes

B: So, we decided to take away your choice in server locations. Doesn’t matter what your reason was, we decided this was better for you.

P: Well, how’s about no? We don’t want this, we don’t need this, we didn’t ask for this. Our gameplay experience is excessively impacted by this and we demand you revert it.

B: Welp, that’s not going to happen. We don’t make “mistakes” so there’s nothing to revert. Also, there’s a moratorium on good ideas here at Blizzard, which we’re proud of for some reason. You’ll learn to live with this change and come around to appreciate it in due time.

P: …nope. Hey everyone, there’s a somewhat complicated work-around that can help you restore the old functionality. It’s a huge annoyance but if it means that much to you, you can still play like you used to. Rejoice!

B: Huh. Well. Looks like you put in a lot of work to show us precisely how much you didn’t like this change, and the effort you’d go through to preserve some version of it. We’ll just…patch out that workaround real quick so we’re all back on the same page again. Hmm, now that you’re back under our control, can you help us figure out why the player numbers are bottoming out?

This entire escapade is so cartoonishly dumb and out-of-touch that I’m surprised this isn’t just an SNL skit that got out of control.

15 Likes

It still works on my end, and my EU duo’s end as well. It’s still a very fiddly process, though.

Well I am glad it’s working for SOME people… But for me, the trick is dead. I can’t even go NEAR NA now.

Do you have another firewall? or are you using windows defender?

I heard you’ll need to use windows defend as ur firewall for it to work, I personally haven’t tried the method yet in hope it will become an official option again…

No, I followed the directions to the letter. I only changed one thing since it stopped working - and that is I did away with the IPs people have provided, and decided that I would connect normally, see which server I get set up with, and block those one by one… To see where I get rerouted to.

As I have said, though… I didn’t get far. After blocking just 2 sets of IP (GTK1 and ICN1), the game refused to connect to anything.

1 Like

At this point, it is pretty clear that you couldn’t care less about the people who are commenting in this thread.
You ignored at least half the people in here, who are having issues with your great new system that isn’t fixed by your slight adjustment. It’s the opposite, it gets even worse for those playing at bad times for the home region because their chances to get into a match in another region faster are even lower now.

It is a matter of personal preference if you want to wait longer for a game in your region with lower ping or if you want faster matches with higher ping in another region (that maybe also offers better games because you can communicate). This isn’t something an algorithm is able to determine unless you feed it an appropriate input. This appropriate input is the option to set the region one wants to play in at the moment, which allows the algorithm to put you in matches in the right region.

I suggest you get real for a second, stop trying to appease people with a ‘fix’ that fixes almost nothing, and actually recognize that your update is terrible and you should’ve known it before, thus shouldn’t have implemented it.

9 Likes

Currently having 10minutes queue time on EU instead of probably something like 3minutes on NA. “cool”

and on top all those toxic players that i could normally avoid by playing on NA.

Thank you for nothing blizzard. Really Thank you!

3 Likes

I just want to have the freedom to choose which server I play on… I hate EU servers because of the toxic and casual player base. I already play on NA when I play with my friends without any issue why shouldn’t I be able to do it in solo Q aswell?

1 Like

every server out off NA is just a not fun bunch of randoms tpxic players

so if i play in EU does server lock still affect In comp Cause i want to go t500 and i play in EU but when i play qp or something with my friends im in Asia

Guys you really should try blocking the IP’s of servers you do not want to play on. I did it yesterday and have been playing NA from EU the whole time.

I know that someone else linked this topic, but will link it again in case someone has not seen it yet:

Believe it or not but there are player from EU who prefer to play on NA because dealing with russian, french player ect. can be quite tiring when noone ever talks or everyone talking in their own language.

Sure people can do that, but then you have to delete it every time u want to play with someone from that region, maybe sometimes u play with a friend lol

also one of the forum MvPs said it’s probably not best to do that method

Which is a bit weird, the same one told us to use a VPN, but not to do this IP block stuff… is he saying this cause this is his own common knowledge or is someone telling him to say this stuff? IDGI, cause he’s been passing information to them but not for people like us who want to get back to our own region… only stuff if it relates to people being put in the WRONG region.

Wish we got noticed, it’s been 5 days now, and we’ve still not been told a single thing about anything, they could at least update us to let us know they are or aren’t thinking about adding a data centre selector in game.

1 Like

I agree that it is tiresome to do that every time you want to switch regions, but they actually gave us no choice. Either that or pay for a VPN. They took our choice away and now “it is not recommended to do that.”

I mean I would not be surprised if they start banning people for that, truth be told. No one would even be doing it in the first place if they purposefully did not take player’s choice away.

3 Likes

ah yes, delete a feature away from the players after 5 years, then ban them for not wanting (or can’t afford) to pay £60 a year for a VPN when the game only costs £12.99 lol

2 Likes