Criticism Over the Balance Philosophy

I didn’t REALLY explain it too well, but I’m probably going to edit it since another guy asked.

I didn’t meant Zen didn’t need a nerf… I meant he didn’t need THAT nerf, like what I said with Tracer. He needed a nerf to his kit, possibly his discord, which is why he’s so strong.

I never blamed anything on plats, I said that blizzard tries to cater to everyone, and the majority happen to be in Plat areas.

And yes, Tracer needs a nerf, but not pulse damage. Possibly the time it takes for her to THROW the bomb, so she can’t get away for free, but that’s another topic.

And I never said their balancing was bad necessarily, I just can’t find a direction they’re going in, it’s very random.

2 Likes

I respectfully disagree. I know I’ve about 1000 less SR than you, but I hope my arguments will still be rational and hopefully convincing.

The key problem with Zenyatta wasn’t that discord was “too much”. Zenyatta is a support. He is meant to enable people, either by healing or allowing them to do more damage. The problem, the contradiction to his role, is that sometimes an amazing Zenyatta would be better off dealing the damage instead of tossing out a discord orb, like Jjonak does occasionally.

Once again, Blizzard shows an effortful balance. Instead of simply nerfing discord from 30% to 20%, or outright nerfing his damage, they allow Zenyatta to maintain as an enabling support that still does exceptional damage for a support, only that ONE of his two abilities is slightly reined in.

In fact, his actual combat dps, his LMB, is totally unchanged. He’s still a dps-support in mid-fights. He’s only less capable at sniping and picking off targets with a RMB at long range.

The core of Zenyatta hasn’t changed. Isn’t that what we want for nerfs and buffs, for the crux of the hero to stay same, to stay unique?

Atleast DPS mains can’t complain that they can’t play healer then… No ? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I don’t judge opinions on rank, I used to, but then I lumped everyone as X main complaining about X again.

Anyways, disagreeing is fine, in my eyes nerfing his potential damage would be the best change. Obviously not to hit him with a bulldozer, even a 10% damage output decrease would be simple, and in the right direction.

BUT this thread IS about the direction, and not necessarily balancing a hero ourselves ;]

You’re a living, breathing example of who blizzard listen too. I hate to call you out, but you just presented yourself to me.

Entitled players, who believe every role outside theirs is a sin, especially dps. Being so loud allows balance to constantly go in your way, but when it doesn’t all hell breaks loose. The main problem here is that BLIZZARD allow this behavior, they even courage it. If you buy your kid everything, he will never be a successful adult, and expect things handed to him. Same thing here, they complain about something that annoys you until it’s gone, instead of learning ways around it. Do you know how long poor hits can players had to deal with D. VA? I remember no uproar, sure they complained, but not as loudly as dva players, which is why it took SOOO long for her changes.

EDIT - I didn’t intend to target you directly with the last paragraph. That was just my problem with the people they listen too, and I have no knowledge if you’re one, the hating on DPS mains just reminded me, so I apologize if it felt like an attack.

Let’s agree to disagree on the first part :wink:

But ultimately, the point is to make Zenyatta less of a full dps Monk, and instead play out more as a support, while still able to stand (or floaty-sit) his own ground. That seems to be a healthy direction to take him in.

The direction isn’t wrong in that case, as is with the other changes

Even regarding all the other changes, the only one where I truly doubt Blizzard’s decision is the recent Lucio changes. The rest indeed seem to be taking us in a better direction than having a standard dive meta, with some highly forgettable add-on heroes fossilized on the select screen

BTW for someone nearly Grandmaster you are possibly the most polite one I’ve met on the forums in a long time. Thanks for turning a blind eye to my rank and treating arguments on their own

1 Like

They have change their balance target I think…

They are basing it more off pick rates now.

Since Zen has a high pick rate at high ranks, he gets a nerf. Since Tracer has a high pick rate at high ranks, she gets a nerf.

Since Mei has a lot pick rate, she gets a buff…

Since Sym has a lot pick rate - she gets a buff.

Since Reaper had a lot pick rate - he gets a buff.

There are far far worse ways to handle balancing. They are balancing off what they people who know the games pick to win games.

There isn’t a lot wrong with that - people have been asking for Blizzard to balance for high ranks - this is what balancing for high ranks look like.

1 Like

Yup, we agree 100% on making him not 99% dps. I just meant his RMB nerf was almost meaningless, it’s almost unnoticeable. I think dive has been so prevalent for so long that they’re kind of mini-panicking. They’re trying their hardest to stop it, but aren’t doing the right things, in MY opinion. For example, D.Va’s near 100% pickrate should be… Looked at to say the least…

I appreciate the compliment, and can hit you right back. It’s rare to find anyone on the forums whose willing to argue without taking their statement has 100% fact, respectable. I DO get real with people, but I wouldn’t view it as completely disrespectful, either :PP

1 Like

The higher you go in the ranks the more Moba like the game gets so. Also in OWL where the most mechanically skilled players are Moira has a lower pick rate then Ana.

Moira and Ana aren’t played usually because of D.Va, personal experience. She is an absolute powerhouse at every rank, but if you wanted to play the game at GM, good luck lol. With the intro of Brig, it’ll make the “I guess I can’t play the game…” meme even MORE true. I’m not excited for the amount of CC, complete deleting, and meta defining heroes being added, and not being touched.

Kind of, also Moira enables heavy tank line ups and at high levels they aren’t that good.

1 Like

Actually, Quad tank with Ana+Moira, or more so Moira+Lucio, isn’t THAT bad. It feeds off of small mistakes, and just mashing the W key, also known as no skill. But it’s not that fun to play, and if you’ve ever played MM, you’d know people won’t usually do comps that aren’t too fun.

No. The one that are called majority are casuals, pros only consists of small number of players. Balancing only around pros will just hurt the majority.
Balance must be fair to all ranks.
Blizzard is going in the right direction with the latest updates and heroes.
They can’t just cater only to a small number of the community, you know.

If you didn’t notice, I was being half serious half sarcastic. Hence the smiley on end. But I have heard a lot of, and I don’t want to call out DPS mains exclusivly, but they do often use the line. “I can’t play supports.” While saying things like “supports are easy to play/no brain/no skill.” It’s just starting to get to me, y’know ?

1 Like

O, I’m not very good at reading sarcasm over the interwebs :// sorry lol

1 Like

Just wanted to point out that in OP the zen change doesn’t necessarily have to be a NERF…

not all changes are nerfs intended to bring a character “down”…sometimes they don’t like how things feel…sometimes there are bugs that need changing…

In fact if everyone really wants this mythical game BALANCE then you want small changes to be happening all the time…that doesn’t make them NERFS

Anything downgrading a hero, no matter the size, is a nerf.

Im sorry there is a grey area…we agree to disagree

1 Like

gonna bump this.

characters

I’d like to see them balance on pick rates in Masters and GMs mostly.

They are the people who KNOW which heroes are good or not, and pick the good ones.

You will have to accept that the supports are picked higher (while we have less supports than other classes) - but it should work out well.

put out a set of tweaks once a month where higher picked heroes are tuned down a little, and lower picked heroes are tuned up a little.

See if we can get them so they are picked about the same… within each category.

1 Like

They literally gave you a why.

1 Like