Could a Widowmaker origin story novel work?

In light of the announcement of the Hero of Numbani novel, published by Scholastic. Granted, this might be a little too dark for Scholastic…

Would anyone be interested in a novel exploring the origins Amélie Lacroix (neé Guillard) in her origins to becoming Widowmaker?

I even have a title for it:

Birth of a Widow

Here are the points I would cover:

• Her early years as a child, part of the wealthy Guillard family, and how her life was affected by the Omnic Crisis.
  • Her later years, as a ballet dancer, who on one fateful day meets Gérard.
  • How she knew the other members of Overwatch.
  • The events that led to her kidnapping and brainwashing to kill Gérard.
  • Her complete transformation into Widowmaker.
  • Her early years as an assassin, who builds her rep as one of the most dangerous people on Earth. Perhaps a retelling and expansion of her duel with Ana.

I feel like a novel like this would be great. On top of being a tragic story, this could really shed more light on her character. We imagine a lot about her, but know comparatively little (granted, that’s hardly exclusive to her…).

Man, the announcement of an Overwatch novel fleshing out the lore made me more excited for Overwatch than I had been for a long time. I thought the lore was dead at this point, and that Blizzard really did mean to not expand on it so the Tumblr girls’ fanfics can be intact. But here we are, getting a novel that gives us the lore we’ve craved!

Well, it may not be much right now, but consider it a sign of what’s to come. If they’re rolling out a novel at last, then there’s likely hope this is just a hint at what they have planned for the Overwatch lore. I hope BlizzCon 2019 is good (and better than 2018…).

But all in all, do you think a Widowmaker origin novel could be really good? Discuss.

6 Likes

I would love a novel about Amelie Lacroix and how she became the Widowmaker! There are some parts of her lore that could super interesting to elaborate on, such as her time as a ballerina, how she met Gerard, the brainwashing, how she felt about killing Gerard, “killing” Ana, and Mondatta. Maybe even see some hints of her brainwashing wearing off?

I think it would be published by someone other than Scholastic, however? because scholastic publishes books for children and Widowmaker’s story is a little dark for that. I’m not sure if they’re with any other publisher though, maybe whoever does the WoW books?

3 Likes

I don’t think they have an exclusive deal with any publisher apart from maybe Dark Horse for comics. I feel Del Rey would be an ideal publisher, because yeah, it’s hard to imagine it on Scholastic.

Anyways, this could actually be in two parts – The first being her origin as Amélie Lacroix, and the second being her new career as an assassin, the Widowmaker. I totally would love seeds being planted in the latter book that the brainwashing effects are starting to wear off.

I’m glad they’re actually allowing novels to be made, took long enough. I hope this Numbani book is a sign of what’s to come!

1 Like

Yes a novel about Widowmaker would be an instant buy for me.

4 Likes

do want!!! do want!!! do want!!! do want!!! do want!!! do want!!! do want!!! do want!!! do want!!! do want!!! do want!!! do want!!! do want!!! do want!!! do want!!!

1 Like