Continuous lag spikes

Hey,

I’ve already made a couple of topics about these darn stutters but now i atleast got my pc and home network in the clear it seems.

Playing around on training ground with the netgraph i identified the actual stutters are all caused by latency spikes so i ran a winmtr test again:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                            192.168.11.1 -    0 | 1384 | 1384 |    0 |    0 |   16 |    0 |
|                          10.102.127.254 -    0 | 1384 | 1384 |    2 |    8 |   22 |    9 |
|         gs-ro01-ae-0-3062.zeelandnet.nl -    0 | 1384 | 1384 |    4 |    9 |   88 |   12 |
|         cn-asd-kbw-cr15-be3001.caiw.net -    1 | 1380 | 1379 |    8 |   11 |   23 |   10 |
|                           80.249.208.83 -    0 | 1384 | 1384 |    7 |   17 |  113 |   22 |
|              ae1-br02-eqam1.as57976.net -    3 | 1267 | 1241 |   11 |  215 | 3735 | 3735 |
|                           137.221.65.77 -    4 | 1174 | 1132 |   10 |  195 | 4839 | 3300 |
|            bond0-vs01-eqam1.as57976.net -    0 | 1384 | 1384 |    8 |   15 |  143 |    9 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |  280 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |  280 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

For me the 4th line looks pretty normal with 23 being the worst and only one package lost that doesn’t get carried over to the next line.

But then this 5th line has very unstable latency it seems.
When i was testing this and looked at WinMTR in-between rounds i saw it spiking to 70-110ms fairly regularly.

Could someone confirm this node being the problem or am i simply misinterpreting the results?
I saw that this node is AMS-IX owned and they have a contract with Blizzard and my ISP but looking at the contact form on their website it’s probably Blizzard or my ISP that should contact them about any problems.

If the ISP is already looking into it, I would press on with that route. According to previous posts from staff, Blizzard is unlikely to reach out to an ISP or routing peer unless issues are affecting a major portion of the playerbase.

But you can confirm that node seems to be the problem?
I might just contact them at AMS-IX myself even though they ask for a company name since my ISP did point to blizzard for solving this earlier ;p

It has a tiny bit of wobble, but I wouldn’t consider it a major issue. The test looks ok tbh.

It might not be extremely high but it also raises the SIM value quite often giving really annoying moments ingame.

I was the one who responded to your previous thread. If you’re seeing a lot of SIM spikes, I really doubt that tiny wobble is causing it.

Was the stuff we talked about last time addressed? There wasn’t a followup.

True, i do stil have white bars i just checked but not as high as i had back then
I have tried a lot fixing it since but i just don’t know where to begin after having tried so many drivers and tips and tricks from everywhere.

One thing i just noticed on the training grounds was that the sim spikes happen very very often when i press tab or escape

SIM spikes when pressing tab are pretty normal, same for Esc. Menus are locked at 60 fps, so you will see that swap over cause a small hiccup.

I’m having this same issue just recently, and by other tests I’ve done, it doesn’t seem to be my internet provider, because the packet loss is very low and also the jitter. I also haven’t made any recent changes to my PC. Perhaps this started after an Overwatch update? I’ll try to use winmtr and compare the results. Anyway, I am not sure yet what is causing this, I only noticed that in busier performance moments of the game it slows down heavily, then it comes back to normal after a spike in the latency. I haven’t recorded my screen when I am playing to check for the fps while this happens but the latency spike is a sure thing. Finally, there seems to be a big drop in virtual ram memory while this is happening, but windows memory diagnostics didn’t find anything wrong. Hope someone finds this useful.

If you do run a WinMTR or dxdiag, please make sure to start a new thread to share them.

Will do. The post got a little long I am afraid.

1 Like

That’s also the main problem for me it seems, gameplay can be pretty smooth but in chaotic teamfights problems can get very severe.
The problem for me is that i already did 2 fresh windows installs and a so much driver, ram, cpu, gpu and 3rd party-program trouble-shooting i wouldn’t know where to begin this time, i just can’t find any new leads i haven’t tried out yet.

I will probably also make a new thread once i tried out a couple more things.

1 Like

I also did a fresh windows installation a few months ago and I’ve only kept software I really need, specially third party ones. This helped me a lot.

Please don’t do that, it makes it hard to keep track of what you’ve done. For instance, these posts should have been on the old thread :slight_smile:

Since we already know the issue with with SIM spikes, I’m not sure what other troubleshooting can be offered here in the forum, besides pointing you to the all the appropriate benchmarks, etc.

1 Like

Sure, it makes sense. People are on it should be solved soon.

After playing some games with the netgraph the only white spikes i got were all when respawning,killcam,tab and apparantly print screen so i guess im back to the little yellow spikes :frowning:

i imgur com/XrI9s1x png

i fear those are the hickups i notice atleast a few times every match

Okay, it’s a very tiny spike in the connection, and your latency looks very good in-game. I’m not sure what other assistance can be provided here. Usually, only pings over 100ms are a concern, but you’re sub-30ms.

Yes, but the latency in the top-left corner never really reflects the spikes i have it seems.
Maybe my good base-connection is also part of these little spikes becoming noticable?

Possibly, but there haven’t been many reports of issues on the Amsterdam server. Then again, this forum covers the Americas and Oceania, with EU having its own forum – so that might be why we haven’t heard much.

But it’s worth noting that Blizzard is constantly monitoring their servers, and if there were repeated spikes they would probably post about it on their EU Twitter so they could reduce some incoming tickets.

What I’m trying to explain is that with your average latency being so good and playable, their staff doesn’t consider this an issue. Latency in the 100s, if it’s not normal for you (it is for some players) would possibly raise concern, but even then it’s hard to say. Blizzard is responsible for their servers and their software, but they’re not responsible for the routes or ISP connections you use to reach their servers. Little blips along the way are probably not something they can do anything about for you.

1 Like

Ok, so I’d just like to add a small detail here. I was just playing and this SIM spike happened, like I said, in a busy moment, and now the server dropped and I had to reconnect. But I noticed in windows’ task manager that Blizzard update service was using half of my disk writing resources at the time, and then it stopped. Maybe this service has something to do with the problem or might shine a light on a solution.