Concord: 8/23/24 - 9/6/24

Concord was tone deaf trend chasing crap, rivals and deadlock will have a chance.

This obsession with “game killers” is super weird though.

17 Likes

The obsession with “game killers” has been around as long as I can remember. I remember in the late 2000’s every mmo was a wow killer. I think people like the combative and tribalistic framing of these things like they have a personal stake in it.

Rivals has an established ip and fan base, so it has a good chance.

Deadlock is attracting a surprising number of players from other shooter genres, I too think that game will be big. Not fortnite big, but still big.

3 Likes

People will pay if a game is good

There are plenty of examples….overwatch itself being like the easiest example….

If it was free it would prob suffer a similar a fate….because it’s a bad game

4 Likes

Not surprising. Concord, affectionately referred to as a “DEI shooter” by gamers, was fated for PS Plus best scenario. Concord has nothing but bad press around it and almost no active players left on Steam. Which is a problem because Sony is trying to court PC gamers. There still is an active player base on PS5, though.

I saw some gameplay and was immediately turned off by the character models. The actual gameplay didn’t look that bad though. I debated picking it up. I’m glad I didn’t.

Smart move by Sony removing Concord on the same day Astro Bot releases. People will use their refunds toward buying Astro Bot, and once it releases, everybody will forgot about Concord.

It’s actually a good thing in the long run that Concord failed. Now maybe Sony will focus on their bread and butter: single player experiences. Sony cannot compete with Microsoft when it comes to Live Service games. Instead, Sony needs to continue tapping into a hungry Asian market. Stellar Blade was a massive success and Phantom Blade Zero and Lost Soul Aside both look amazing and will also be big hits.

A lot of games are gonna go down this route. Developers give very little in terms of gameplay but expect FOMO to make the return

I have zero interest in rivals, but yeah, the marvel IP and good marketing will give it a chance to thrive.

Deadlock just outright looks good to play, the devs look like they care, people are having a blast playing it. It is giving me OW1 beta vibes.

It was never a contender.
-bland gameplay and maps
-ugly character designs
-have to pay to play

gee, I could have never guessed why would it fail

11 Likes

Who on earth thought it would be a Overwatch killer?

No one wants to play a game where a majority of the cast look like Venture clones

10 Likes

Sony is going to pay a consulting firm millions of dollars to explain to them why they failed.

Suckers. I’d do it for some sushi and a 3 day stay in kyoto.

3 Likes

Hoping this is a wake up call to devs. Stop following trends and develope a real game.

If you want to make a competitive shooter bring something new to the genre don’t copy the next game.

2 Likes

I can save sony a lot of money. Get a better marketing firm, they can go halfsies with bioware. Those 2 games have had the worst hype trailers I have seen in a very long time.

1 Like

Bad for them/they.

2 Likes

All the negativity I saw was related to disliking the aesthetic, the fact that it was a hero shooter, the pronouns, that it wasn’t free, or that it was an OW clone. Lots of proclomations of the game being trash before the first beta weekend.

I wasn’t a fan of the aesthetic either, but I feel like most of the criticism came from people that never played it and were just parroting online talking points. It had nothing in common with OW, for example, so the people saying it was a clone are just giving away that they don’t know anything about it.

1 Like

I think it makes a lot of sense, players will want a game killer since they’re probably sick of the current game but the only reason why they keep playing is because there’s nothing else like it. and it’s good fir the games to come out because it hreeds competition which is great for the consumer

1 Like

And here I assumed that the title of the thread was a joke. Damn. What a brutal failure.

10 Likes

good riddance that game had some of the ugliest characters I’ve ever seen

5 Likes

I watched a bit of gameplay, wasn’t impressed. Artstyle looks bland, characters look bland, gunplay looks bland… not great imo. Overwatch is just leagues above it, despite the criticisms I have with this game.

5 Likes

Hahahahaaahahaaaa Sony all you had to do was let Bloodborne come to PC.

12 Likes

Overwatch stays winning, haters in shambles :muscle:

2 Likes

You and everyone else, given the thread and all. :smile:

3 Likes