Completed Battle Pass; No Purchase

Just out of curiosity, anyone out there besides me who has finished the Battle Pass (hit level 200) but didn’t purchase it?

Personally, I do this in protest of the poor overall state of the game and to demonstrate that Blizzard will need to provide the value I desire in the game to receive any money from me. Since the release of OW2, the only money I’ve spent on it was for the Battle Pass that included the story missions.

I’m level 125 or so without buying it. Technically it’s only 80 levels. The rest is just bonus titles.

Yah, the regular stuff you get after completing all 100 levels. I include the Prestige levels because that’s as high as the season tracks.

The point I’m looking to make is I’m happy to sink as much time as it takes to complete all 200 levels, but I won’t part with any money until my desired value is delivered.

I am a bit ashamed to admit that I have the Behemoth title (first time I got past the second title). I was just… Having a lot of fun this season. I am not sure what else to say.

I do have freemium currency to buy it if I want, and that Wasteland Reaper skin is sick, cuh. But… I need to save for the Egyptian Battle Pass. I am really into Egyptian mythology. Just Egyptology in general, actually. It’s funny, when this game was announced I was actually at the museum because they had a special tour focused on Egyptian history. And as a forum worm, I was doomposting while there… Yikes. I need professional help, surely.

Are you a Bangles fan?

(lol)

2 Likes

I think most have tbh

Whilst not giving them money is all good… You’re still a number playing the game that they can then use to brag about.

Best protest is to not pay, not play and don’t engage with it in any shape or form

Nah, I usually get the BP because it lets me actually play the game on my own time without having to grind levels. Sometimes if I feel like I’m not going to play much of the season I get the tier skip pass. I also just like the overall cosmetics in the pass as well.

It’s just easier to not have to stress about grinding out and then I get coins for a skin I may want in the future of the season or to buy my next BP with. Typically don’t spend too much on the BP really unless I know I won’t be able to play much of the season.

The challenge here is the message interpreted on their part. Can they assume that a person who chooses not to play isn’t playing in protest of the content and value proposition of the title? Or do they assume that the person who chooses not to play isn’t simply due to lack of interest in the title? If they factor in both, how do they weight each relative to the other?

My goal by playing is to demonstrate an interest in the title whereas by not paying, I am very clearly sending the message that they aren’t providing anything that I’m willing to spend money on.

Either.

Both would imply they must do better to either increase interest, which would appease the protests too.

Not playing is probably more problematic for them. Someone who’s playing can be tempted to spend, or might bring someone along to play with them.

If you’re not playing, they can’t do either.

Maybe.

Ultimately, my own little data point likely isn’t even noticed in reality. Yet, I feel good about the approach.

Not playing is more endemic to the industry as a whole, and live service games like this are taking a beating at the macro level.

Here’s a good overall write up on the macro state of gaming I found insightful (will need to Google for it if interested).

The Tremendous Yet Troubled State of Gaming in 2024

Ultimately, my actions are but part of the microcosm that is feeding the bigger picture.

Which is fair enough. And very true.

You got to do what makes you feel good. But ultimately, unless you can drag people in vast numbers along with you… They’ll never change.

1 Like

I almost always max out the bp (at least to tier 80) however I never buy it. I very rarely spend money on games and I most certainly wouldn’t on ow of all games. Although I’ve saved up enough free currency to buy the bp if i wanted to.

1 Like

Yah, I’m saving what I’ve saved up for the next Season that drops the next set of Story Missions.

I’ve never completed a battle pass in my life because I don’t like feeling like the game is making me play. I turn on games to have fun, and if I feel obligated to play, I won’t be having any fun at all. I suppose its possible to complete a battle pass just through conventional play, but I don’t think they’re designed for that unless you sink multiple hours into the game every day.

They’re all dependent on challenge based progression systems which I’m not a fan of. It feels predatory and capitalizes on FOMO