Competitive should have SMS verification

But then how will this make more money for Activision CEOs?

They will never do this because it would actually improve the competitive experience and generate less revenue.

#ProfitBeforePlayers

Well if I need sms verification I will need 2 phones to do that right?

I guess, but it’s much easier to ask for one friend’s/family member’s phone number to do that than several numbers.

Some form of a hardware ban would certainly be something to look into. Smurfing is one thing, but think harassment, cyberbullying, getting perma-banned for real serious offenses.

Those people really shouldn’t be allowed to come back to this game.

Other than that, although I hate smurfing and I think it’s against the rules, (In the sense that game sabotage is against the rules but that involves conscious throwing in order to de-rank, not necessarily new accounts,) you can’t ban people for having multiple accounts. It’s not against the rules.

It presents its own set of problems of course, but I say, this would be a breach of personal liberty and the collective good would not outweigh the individual restriction on freedom.

1 Like

I know I’m late and someone probs already posted it, but…

Don’t you guys have phones?

I say we have a global/regional leader board and you have to have SMS to be on that.

You could also invite people from the leader board if they allow it in their options.

Here’s more on that :slight_smile:
QoL for the LFG

No, it should NOT.

• Not everyone can AFFORD a mobile phone to do so.
  • Some people have their cell phones De-activated due to late bills.
  • Some of us live OUT in the middle of NOWHERE and are NOT near cell towers that work more than 50% of the time! :imp:
2 Likes

If you can’t get a phone, you don’t take competitive seriously enough tbh. And if you have internet good enough to play Overwatch, you probably have cell service.

2 Likes

Normally im a civil person about things. But this here grinds my gears, you gotta remember some of us live in Rural America out on the Farms and work to FEED the rest of the United States bud. We got a right to game like anyone else out there, and not every portion of the United States has a cell tower within 1/4 mile of where yah live. The nearest tower to me is OUTSIDE of that by a LONG way. Which means if that tower is FULL, I dont get to use it. THe only time a “push command” is sent is to Law Enforcement and 911, otherwise the lines are FULL!!

Hard line copper wire is the only thing we get out in the middle of NOWHERE. Your food doesn’t come from the grocery store. It is raised on a farm. Cows are the beef for the hamburger, chickens (self explanitory), corn is raised for HFCS to make the softdrinks, potatos are pulled from the ground for the fries.

I load boxes of honeybees onto a semi truck to be moved to pollinate 3/4 of the variety of produce sold in the grocery store and especially those California almonds, the Canola oil, the Frozen peas, and the sunflowers. Plus don’t forget the honey that goes into those Cherios.

I gotta right to be on this game just as much as ANYONE else.

3 Likes

Doesn’t apply to any other part of the game, so your point is kinda… moot. We wouldn’t make special considerations for people who constantly disconnect from games either, even if it isn’t their fault. They lose SR just like others.

1 Like

Im sorry you dont’ grasp what I said here. If that is outside of your range of understanding. I suggest you educate yourself on rural vs Urban living. There is alot of stuff you cannot obtain out here on the farms. Good day.

1 Like

What you said is irrelevant. You have complete access to every other part of the game in an SMS competitive system. Just don’t play competitive if you don’t have access to a phone. Quick Play will have role queue too.

So what about people that already have numerous accounts? They just get scammed out of their right to play competitive even though they were promised the ability to play comp upon purchase?

1 Like

That’s cute. They can still play every other part of the game. If they’re serious enough, they’ll get phone numbers for all of those accounts. It’s a logical deterrent to people who have too many alt accounts.

1 Like

It “solves” almost nothing and creates more problems and annoyances. Not worth the hassle.

3 Likes

I’d like to introduce you to a little concept called spite.

In truth, spite is the world’s most powerful motivator.

Sorry to disappoint you but Bliz will never do something like this. There are other more intelligent ways to find intentionally low ranked smurfs- they have people with excellent knowledge in statistical analysis, it is a matter of decision.
Also as their ranking system works, gold-plat is the baseline for almost all new accounts. Its the system itself that puts high ranked people in gold or plat for a few games, along with actually lower ranked ones.

1 Like

That requires caring.

Anyway, any reasonable deterrent to alts that leads to better quality matches more often is worth trying. Of course the ones that are more serious about it will get multiple numbers. That’s not the only thing that helps, though. It helps them realize that their alternate accounts are not just throw away accounts. They had to pay more money into them, and they will take using them more seriously as a result and lead to… better quality matches.

This stuff seems plainly obvious to me, thinking about it. Of course it doesn’t help against people using them to avoid report stacking, but it helps to remind people using the alts that extra income they paid into the account via the phone number will essentially be lost and the phone number will be rendered unusable as well. More to lose.

1 Like

Except SMS isn’t reasonable. I can have a free working number in 5 minutes while streaming twitch on one screen and typing this reply with one hand. SMS solves nothing and is just an annoyance for legitimate players.

2 Likes

no voip allowed.