Competitive Season 10 is in 10 days so here are 10 things I am hoping for Overwatch overall

With Competitive Season 10 coming out in just under 10 days, I felt it was important to go through 10 things I am hopeful for from the developers, the community and myself as a player. I am going to keep this list brief but may link some past topics to expand on certain ideas. I also decided this topic is best for the general discussion forum as there will be some ideas that will tackle problems with Overwatch overall and not just Competitive Play mode.

1. I wish for more reason group up more! - Overwatch really is more fun when I can play in a coordinated team with trusted teammates. However, with group-priority matchmaking, causing groups to pair with each other, the majority of the community is more inclined to play Solo-Queue (myself included) and while playing alone isn’t a bad thing, the current experience is more prone to bad teamwork issues. That being said regardless of what plans the game development team have, I will probably start to form teams in the PC LFG forum so be on the lookout for me next season!

2. I wish for everyone to Play Fair, Play Nice! Two nights ago I had several toxic games in Overwatch, leading to one of my worst experiences in a very long time. I won’t go into details about it. Instead, I am hopeful there will be key steps moving forward where the game will incentivize good behavior (without being exploited or becoming gimmicky). I am also hopeful that we as a community work hard to treat others with respect, be constructive when giving feedback to other players, and remember that we all have one thing in common, which is that we all play Overwatch together!

3. I am hoping to see more of a sense of progression in Overwatch Competitive. Right now, one of the biggest factors that make Competitive discouraging, it will feel like a grind especially when one is playing at their expected skill rating. The original beta test for Overwatch Competitive actually had players move up in tiers that they could not fall down until they reached the top tier which then transitioned into a skill rating based system. While I am not sure if such as system is the best idea for Competitive now, it did give some incentive to progress and keep trying to at least reach the Heroic tier and then compete for the top ranks.

4. I am hopeful for more Competitive arcade modes! 6v6 Competitive is a fun twist and really makes playing the Elimination game mode a good, healthy challenge. So I do hope to see more modes like this. I am also looking forward to the new Overwatch Flash Ops events at Microsoft Stores and will be participating tomorrow in my local store’s Team Deathmatch event.

5. I want to make more friends again. Before Competitive Mode came out in July 2016, I found that I was always having fun grouping up with people and would be playing for hours on end. Some of these people would friend me and we meet up every night. This has ended, mainly due to the facts I listed in my first wish. However, I also know that I would love to build or be a part of my own little community in some form of a guild or clan. You all know I spend a lot of time trying to help other players with their technical problems with Overwatch in the technical support forum. It is that sense of trying to do my best for others that gives me fulfillment in this game. I wish to see that sense of purpose in my gameplay.

6. I wish to see more details into my performance in Overwatch. Despite playing for two years, I typically float around the Gold/Plat borderline. (Please note at the time of this post, I hit a bad losing streak and slowly recovering it.) While I don’t mind it, I am hoping to improve, however, it’s difficult to see when I can’t compare match-to-match stats and can only track to see where I performed above my averages only in each match’s postgame stats. I know I need to be VOD reviewing my own games, and I will be recording my games a lot more now, but still, any ability to track how my game performance is on a timeline basis would be very nice.

7. I hope for more communication from the Community and Development teams. For the most part, they do communicate with us far better than most video game dev teams, and while they have to be absolutely careful what they say and when they say things about new content or changes to the game. I am now finding that I am citing blue posts from the old forums that are now more than a year old when I try to help other players with questions about Overwatch such as how matchmaking works, how the developers balance the game, or why leavers affect other players on a team. While I don’t expect any representative of Blizzard to constantly answer every single time some asks one of these questions, even if they follow up every few months with reminding us they are still looking for ways to improve Overwatch both inside and outside of Competitive, would mean the world of difference for our community. Of course, I will still continue to do what I can to keep other players educated about any and all public knowledge of the game.

8. I hope for more incentive for a constructive forum community. I am one of the tech support forum MVPs and while I currently don’t have my old green-text in the new forums (as these are still in development), I still do what I can to support our community. I am hopeful others can too, but right now there is no Overwatch Community MVP group. It is my hope with the relaunch of the World of Warcraft MVP group this will pave the way for ideas that may one day lead to Overwatch having its own community MVP group. In the meantime, I encourage everyone here in the forums to continue to participate in the forums constructively and work to find ways to help support and encourage players as they look for help in Overwatch, whether it be a technical issue, gameplay experience, or learning how to play better.

9. I wish to see ways to acknowledge positive players in Overwatch. The best games in Overwatch are when players are the most positive, and I feel it should be worth finding ways to reward those players. Whether it be a special status to earn in Overwatch or cosmetic rewards, I am not certain what would be best. Also, I can only see the challenges of making something like this happen where earning it can’t be abused, and anyone who is marked as a positive player is not the target for abusive from less honorable players. Still I feel the game could benefit greatly if players are acknowledged for their positive behavior in Overwatch.

10. I wish to keep having fun with Overwatch! I am still doing this even after 2 years and I believe I will continue to have fun for another 2 years. However I hope my drive to play this game remains, and it is my hope that the ideas I have listed here will help promote and encourage everyone to continue to have fun playing Overwatch as well.

Thanks for reading everyone, I love to hear any feedback from anyone about these ideas and I look forward to seeing all of you the rest of Season 9, in 6v6 comp, and in season 10! Cheers! (^^)v

2 Likes

I wish for a seperate queue for teams so we don’t have to plan scrims and what not to make a custom game and find ourselves having more fun than the actual ladder. I really do not like playing overwatch on my own and we need a teamqueue i do not mind waiting 10 minutes or so for a match.

My current experience with comp is either you get a beating of you give a beating. Matches are always very one sided with the occasional exception and those games are the cherry those are the fun ones.

I guess a clan or guild system would be cool.

Then again I don’t play much comp. I just do placements, land in Bronze so there’s no rank decay, and never touch the mode till the end of the season.

Agreed. We needed an LFG system yesterday and clock is ticking. People are increasingly unwilling to play ranked and ranked games are devolving further from the game should look like when played as a team. If the top of the ladder is too different from what the game looks like in open division or contenders, OWL is screwed and will take the game with it.

Saw someone on reddit saying that OWL makes them want to play but playing makes them want to uninstall.

Agreed!

While these matches sometimes are unavoidable and a natural part of the Competitive experience, I agree they don’t feel too good. Full team games don’t do this as much though.

“Fair” matches doesn’t always mean that every Ilios match goes 3-2 and 100-99 on the final point, or each team gets the payload to the end in overtime on Dorado, etc. Sometimes when two evenly matches teams play, the result can be one-sided. It just means that at that single moment in time the enemy team played better. It’s not always the matchmaker’s, your’s, or your team’s(!!!) fault that you got stomped.