Competitive Play should be Solo-Queue Only

This thread is an offshoot of my 2018 thread, which posits that Match Making Rating (MMR) is a form of handicapping, and that handicapping is wrong for Competitive Play:

The thread identifies the problem of hidden handicapping, but it doesn’t really focus on the solution. And that is because I wasn’t sure of the solution, at the time. Like everyone, I love grouping with friends for Competitive Play. But over time, I have grown more sure of what the solution should be; the only logical and fair design for Competitive Play:
Rank-Based Solo-Queue (RBSQ)

In this new thread, I’d like to be more constructive and talk about RBSQ as my simple, two-part solution to a problem I care deeply about. It requires that Competitive Play be:

• Solo queue only (group play relegated to Quick Play)
  • Strictly based on rank, with randomly assigned teams and no MMR tracking player performance metrics.

I think Overwatch is a great game, but the insidious handicapping of Competitive Play makes it an abomination. RBSQ is the only way to fairly and objectively structure Competitive Play. I would like to know what the community thinks of RBSQ. And if Blizzard devs would like to chime in, it’s never too late.

If you have already sounded off on this topic, I welcome you to do so again! I want this to be a fresh discussion, because I am suggesting something new. I believe that Overwatch can be great, and RBSQ is the way to make it so.

Players, please tell me what you think of RBSQ. I’m suggesting RBSQ as a replacement for Competitive Play, but it could be its own game mode. Which do you think would make a better experience? Would you suggest the same thing or something different?

I’ll just say I agree there should be a solo queue. But there should be a 6-stack queue as well. After all, this is a “team” game.

1 Like

This change would just alienate the people who like to play comp with their friends.

2 Likes

I actually can’t disagree with you.

They should also find away to limit it to one account only (this would be tricky though).

The moment you allow groups, and people to have multiple accounts it is no longer a competitive system. Merely just an arbitrary ranking system to help the matchmaker.

Remember SR isn’t for us, but for Blizzard to try (and fail) to give us “fair” games.

1 Like

That is called open division.

Not good enough? then have a group and play quick play.

If they ever actually have a comp system it should be solo que.

1 Like

I’m glad you agree! Blizzard has made the discussion of handicapping (Match Making Rating) very complicated, intentionally, to hide its purpose. But the solution is common sense, and if we understand the discussion I think we can all see that solution.