Competitive Matchmaking - "Applying Update"

Sad to see this still happening to people even myself, this has been a thing since launch and still hasn’t been patched it’s insane

1 Like

Happened to me 3x in the last week. Absolutely disgraceful that this still hasn’t been fixed and players are still getting punished for it.

1 Like

This exact thing is happening to me. I have no way of controlling or stopping this from happening. I am now on a 20 hour ban for this and it is totally unfair. My paid battle pass, and more importantly, my precious little gaming time is being totally wasted. I have never quit a competitive game since I started playing in 2016. THis is so frustrating.

2 Likes

yea ive deranked quite a bit. especially on support. hit plat 1, won 6 games straight, game #7 i got booted, and even after going 7-1 + the bug, I didn’t rank up. Now I am almost back to gold. Very frustrated spending time and money just to have it stripped for something technical. I hate to be rude, but you’d certainly think a 12-figure company could fix a bug that has been around for over 3 weeks now. Not like this is a rare occurrence either.

1 Like

Is there a fix being rolled out for this any time soon?
Seriously, it’s getting beyond a joke now.
Every single game I search, I get “Applying Update” and only once out of the 50+ times i’ve seen this recently, has it gone through.
Granted this is normally on QP so no penalty has been given until today when it happened on a Competitive game.
I waited 5 minutes for it to go, nothing happened.
I thought that I best restart the game and hope it puts me back in my Comp game and we can try to salvage what was left of the game but no, come back on the game to a 15 minute ban and I guess a loss on my stats because of an in game bug which is unacceptable.
There surely has to be some kind of action taken for all the people affected such as reversing any SR lost because of this.
Seriously sick of seeing this message and having to restart the game.

1 Like

I had this just happen to me as well. It’s unfair and my SR shouldn’t be changed due to this. It’s ridiculous.

1 Like

Just happened to me and now I’m banned for rest of season 2… bogus they want you to spend money on a season and then ban you from it for their faults/issues. And then not have enough support to be able to review/unban accounts for situations that are their fault. Goes to show they don’t really care, just want money.

1 Like

Happened to me quite a few times so far since release. Seems like a very difficult problem to solve.
I mean how could you expect a small Indy company to hire competent coders to solve such a tough problem?

Maybe they’re busy making more garbage skins for mercy

April 2023, problem is back

I just loaded in to a competitive game and had the error, as well, second time in as many days. Please, investigate… really annoying if this is affecting ranking/behavior.

Same thing has happened to me, happened first time I tried to enter a comp game last night and same tonight, didn’t load into a match and stayed on applying update, closed game and came back to a 10 min suspension last night and 1 hour tonight

You are not alone in experiencing this bug. Here is a link to my post in case you’d like to read more about this issue: Comprehensive Thread Of All Top 500/Competitive Bugs. I put your thread under: Competitive Match Disconnection And Ban. Please help in spreading the word about this megathread and other related threads regarding these issues.

friend just got banned for 1 hour… crazy man!

“Applying update” running for more than 5 minutes while joining a comp game and then getting an hour ban. Lot of people getting this kind of ban, @blizzard @ow2, can you PLEASE look into it ?
Maybe fix your game by applying updates IN MENU, BEFORE QUEUEING ?

kindly,
another disappointed ow player…

This bug happened to me as well, yesterday and today. Now I am banned for an hour. SR is whatever… I would like those two Leaves to not be counted against me because your game isn’t working properly. I don’t leave comp games, and this explains why so many of the games yesterday had leavers in them. I dont want the next time this happens to suspend me for even longer. Can you at least revert the Leaves? Done playing comp for a while until y’all can show accountability and fix this issue for your customers and revert the leaves.

Yeah I just got an 8 hour ban because this has happened to me 3 times

Amen same here this they shouldn’t penalize us for this

Same here right now

“Applying Update” and supsended for nothing

Good news, the Applying Update bug has been addressed by a community manager. Link here: [Main Thread] Applying Update - #148 by Joynueer.

A quick “fix” for that is something a friend told me,
When you do a fresh start in the game, before playing anything go to training Area and then leave, that will fix that issue.
Since I did that it never happened to me, my friend saw it on reddit and it worked.

1 Like