Competitive forces 50-50

The forced 50% is completely true.

It’s got nothing to do with “I ranked up and now it’s too hard.”

I’ll climb to, say, 2400.

Okay, cool. I’m currently winning.

Suddenly, i start getting unwinnable games for days on end until i’m back down to 2000.

On the way down, i passed 2200. Horrible, unwinnable games until the game decides i need some help. Even at 2200, crap games.

Now, (and this is happening tonight actually)… i’m receiving much better teammates. I suppose as a reward for losing a ton of games? I’m getting much better teams and i’m at 2200. EASY GAME STREAK. Forced win streak. Just like the forced losing streak i just experienced.

It has nothing to do with how i can handle 2200 personally. I’ve been 2700. I’m usually around 2500.

I can tell the difference between good or bad teammates and judge my own performance.

Now, why would i have this seemingly forced streak?

BECAUSE MY WIN RATE WAS 56%.

Magically, i can’t get a good team to save my life. Game knocks me down to 49%. And now i’m back up.

Overwatch Comp is anything but random. They’ll let you get in the ballpark, but you’ll also have a huge disparity in skill all around you. And for some reason, Blizz thinks it’s a great idea to punish winning players by giving them a fake challenge in the form of terrible teammates.

Keep trying though! Log on some more, because you’ve got to chase that carrot, er, SR!

4 Likes

interesting theory

but let’s take a short break and think about it ok?

what is the alternative to 50% win chance each game? do you think blizzard should only match you in games with 60% or more win chance? so why you then? what did others do then to get 40% or less games?

sure but that’s not in the system, that’s just real life. you can’t win forever when you don’t get better in the process.

the system IS a coin flip EACH GAME, coins don’t remember their last side they landed on. winning 15 head flips in a row is not a guarantee you get 15 tails so it’s 50% in the end. that’s not how coins work. it is still a 50% to land on either side.

2 Likes

OW is a pseudo competitive game, and is has nothing to do with e sports

Hiya. I’m low Gold and often attack such points as these. I do not work for Blizzard nor have they ever paid me once so, if you have proof they should be, could you get them to forward the checks they apparently owe me? They managed to mail my Mercy and Roadhog figures to me so that can’t be the issue.

What benefit is there to angering customers by frustrating their delusions that they deserve better? There is none. Most players stuck focus on every factor they have zero control over rather than work to improve themselves. It works! I worked to improve myself and climbed. And am growing in skill. Sure, unwinnable games exist in the game. It’s imperfect. But anything with humans is imperfect. It certainly works and accurately measures skills once you play a substantial amount of matches.

3 Likes

No, you cannot.

These are two other players with terrible attitudes like yours who even tried to prove on video that the matchmaker does what you guys say it does. You can go ahead and prove whatever with video of your own, but I have no doubt that you’ll turn out to be just as much of a tilter and a bad teammate, if not worse, than the above two.

You should really stop playing this game at all. You’ve made it entirely clear with your posting history between the two accounts you post on (doing nothing but complaining about getting forced with potato teammates when you’re winning in order to kick you back down) that you’re not mature enough to handle team games, especially one that’s as team-reliant as Overwatch.

4 Likes

A similar thing happens when you flip coins. After many flips, you’ll have a near 50-50 head-tail ratio.

I ask: who is forcing this? Is is Blizzard?

It’s not fair to blame a system for forcing a result that would happen naturally given somewhat balanced matches.

3 Likes

It’s a competitive game.

In order for one to win, another must lose.

There will be games that no matter how hard you try, you will lose.
There will be games that no matter how hard you try (To throw), you will win.
There will be games that the outcome really depends on you.

Overwatch is not forcing 50/50, but if you are performing well then it will find better competitors to match up against you in your respective rank. If you feel like the matches are unfair, then you should feel flattered.

The lesson to be learned here is that it’s okay to lose. Learn from it and don’t beat yourself (or your team mates) up. Start every game in VC (even if it’s empty) and end every game with a good old GG. You’ll do fine.

3 Likes

50-50 is true though. Look at any top 500 player profile and usually they have a 50% over all win rate from total games won and total games played.

I am at 3874 SR and literally 50-50. 23 wins 1 tie and like 20 loses. From 44 games played.

When I win 3 in a row. I just stop for the day. I used to keep going until I get 2 loses. Not anymore, because from experience. 3 wins in a row and the game throws you in a losing game. I don’t understand why, but the very next match is usually something wrong and you will lose.

It doesnt feel like 50-50 to me. If im not as good then i dont climb, but when im good enough, i climb. At the start of this season i hovered around 3100-3250. Now im better that at the start of the season, so im at 3431SR atm.

1 Like

If u dropped from 2400SR to 2000SR, then u dont belong at 2400. The enemy team is probably just better than you and u can’t keep up, bc u are not as good as them.

4 Likes

Until blizzard gets tough with trolls and throwers I won’t play more than the placement matches. Does it matter if I drop? Heck no. Next season I can get right back to where I’m at. Why beat your head against the wall when we all know nothing is going to change.

Theres just some stuff the matchmaker can’t control that I think a lot of people blame it for.

The game doesn’t know if you’re going to have a thrower/troll/leaver and it certainly doesn’t know what hero you’re going to pick.

The only thing it knows is your SR and MMR.

I started Plat in season 2 and just hit GM last season. I never once blamed the matchmaking for my loses, and I never intend to, it does it’s job and it does it really well.

I’m not saying you should start focusing on people who do throw/troll/leave because that’s toxic and will help nobody but the ban hammer.

If I got placed into a high Plat game, I would roll them, I’m not trying to be egotistical but compared to my season 2-7 self? I think I’ve improved, and I only got a higher rank because I focused on my skill and not my team or some excuse on how the matchmaker is rigged because it isn’t.

You’re holding yourself back by thinking it’s some conspiracy theory. Focus on yourself and nothing else and I promise you WILL climb.

4 Likes

Of all the responses, this is the one. The reality of OW.

1 Like

I agree. There are 6 winners and 6 losers. 6/6 = 1/1 = 50/50.

Wow great work Pepsi, I hope they start forcing 70-30 win rates for every player.

1 Like

Here we go again…

My last game had 3 leavers at round 1… wich is common… There is more then just ur skill in this game… like 5 other players…

1 Like

Nobody is saying there isn’t. What i am saying is that trying to blame the state of your SR on just your team/trolls/smurfs/whatever is unrealistic. These things average out over a large enough sample size of games and not only that but statistically favor you in the long run. Everyone gets leavers, masters, GM, Bronze, everyone gets those games. The difference is that people that are higher up aren’t usually blaming those things for why they aren’t higher. Take responsibility for your own play, especially your losses, stop trying to pass the blame off because of you’re ego.

1 Like

If you drop then climb back up to that rank and drop again but still climb back to it, doesnt that mean you sorta belong there if you can climb back up to it?

1 Like

No, it’s a “you won lots and moved up and now you’re playing against better players and you can’t quite hack it and now you’re dropping back to where you belong” system. That’s not forcing 50/50, that’s you not improving as quickly as your SR/MMR increases.

1 Like

Leavers will happen. It could be a bad internet connection, power outage, forgot to pay the internet bill and it gets cut off (oops, that totally happened to me once), an actual toxic player who just wants to mess with people … all kinds of things. But these happen to both teams.

But if your team really does get significantly more leavers than your enemy teams do, then maybe it’s because people just don’t like playing with you. Maybe your attitude is really bad, maybe you boss your team around too much… etc.

OR maybe it just feels like the leavers are always on your team because of your cognitive bias.

1 Like