Competitive backfill

I really do like ideas that are focused on punishing the people who leave, because they’re the ones causing all these problems! If they would just stay and play it out, we wouldn’t have to sit here arguing about backfill lol

Its fine, only few players actualy noticed. I am sure many though it was just a bug.

And like… imagine starting a match and then lights go out for a few seconds. You get your power back, you turn on the PC, you get the Internet back, you log into the game again and you see a suspension for an early leave and match got cancelled. It absolutely is not your fault but the game already registered you as an Evil Leaver. So why not leave the match going and leave you registered as a part of it? That way you can get back and keep playing and who knows, maybe even save yourself from an unfair suspension!

Lets be honest, if your light go off(or electricity…) its your problem so it is hardly unfair. Anything on you side is your problem even if you cant affect it sometimes.

However, it’s much less severe than you actually becoming a leaver and quit matches for… whatever damn reason you want, I don’t know, I didn’t leave matches unless a few cases of maps refusing to load the character select screen, throwing me away.

Reminds me genji from yesterday, leaving because he ulted and was slept. People like this should not play comp at all if they have not mental fortitude to deal with situation like this. Generaly speaking leavers are not do huge issue as you will have them on both sides. But i agree it suck a lot to have them, even more when your team is doing great.

1 Like

You cannot know that for certain.

Again, that’s not your call to make.

Just because you consider them “good ideas” doesn’t make them so.

How can adding someone to a match to replace a leaver not fix the leaver problem?

Well obviously they’d need to modify backfill to fit with the Competitive format.

They shouldn’t force people to backfill in Competitive. It would need to be opt in.

It’s absolutely fair. What’s unfair is leaving a team to be a player (or more) down.

Since Blizzard created the matchmaking in this game I’m sure they would be able to work it out.

And I disagree with you.

I’m not ignoring it at all; I just think that any potential negatives that may arise from adding backfill to Competitive will be outweighted by the positives.

I do know that, you cant stop it ever completely just like you cant stop cheating. Because blizzard is reacting to what already happened.

Do you see “developer” next to my name? I am obviously sharing my opinion. Not make ng decision lol.

I think they are good, sometimes i share them on forum, i dont have problem to reconsider them if there present counter atgumemts or reasons why they are not good. Unlike you who is not acepting any criticism and flaws in your ideas.

Read previous answers in the topic, it was already explained by me. The issues it would create.

Yet you never explained how it would work in detail. You just repeat your mantra how it is good solution.

Well in that case backfilling would be rare event as you need a lot players to fill lost position. Players with exact MMR on certain role. Even now dps players wait several minutes because there is small number of tank players. Now imagine tiny player base willing to fill.

Its unfair only to your team where leaver is now. If you stomp someone and he rage quit or if 5 stack make someone leave by being toxic why they should have chance to get completely new player?

Probably but since its already used for qp and not for comp, its most likely too complicated without issues, without issues i talked about and nobody was able to solve.

What positive? You will be without leavrr 2 minutes anyway even with backfill. Its long time enough to lose match.

1 Like

the problem with backfilling comp is that you cannot grab some random chump like in qp, you’d have to match mmr exactly otherwise the integrity of the matchmaking is compromised. the game would likely end before a suitable candidate would show up in gold, let alone in the low and high ends of the SR spectrum.

QP uses the same MMR as Comp does, though…sure, it might come up short, but there’s a TON of people flooding flex queue right now, so it’s proving that you can change behavior, at least in the short term. I wonder if there really would be a shortage or if solo queue players would just get placed that much quicker. I wish there was some way to test this.

Yeah, that’s all I’m saying. I still love playing OW (what’s wrong with me, right?) and it’s something that always bugs me when it happens, and so I’m always thinking about ways to make it better. But this wasn’t always a problem. I played for many, many seasons and never felt like it was that big of a deal, but somewhere along the way it just started happening more and more.

But now you have me thinking about data, so I’m going to try and track this a little bit and see exactly how many matches it affects.

I still think there’s a solution out there somewhere. We just gotta find it.

Seems like there’s no easy answer :man_shrugging:

1 Like

What exactly do you mean by that because QP and competitive MMR are completely separated.

Something like that yeah :slight_smile:

Are they? Sorry if I’m ignorant, I thought that MMR was the same across QP and comp. I thought that’s how they knew how to set up your placements when you reach 25?

No lol, they know nothing :slight_smile: sadly. I wish that they would use QP MMR for new account but every comp account starts first placement match at 2350. Doesnt matter what is your QP MMR. It has no effect over comp.

1 Like

Thank you for the info. Do you remember where this was stated? Just want to keep myself informed. I know they don’t release much info about MMR, I wish they would.

1 Like

I am not sure if it was ever officialy stated, I believe so but I am not sure when. It was tested a lot by many players and its practicaly well known fact now, mostly amongst the players who use alts obviously :slight_smile:

You can read about it and others thing in here:

1 Like

Is the problem right here. Average player quality does not equate to average new player quality. Why have lower ranks if folks don’t try there first? It shoehorns everyone into Gold so they can drop a thousand or more ST feeling ‘cheated’ and helpless. The reality is they never belonged there for even a second.

I complete agree with you. Starting accounts in 2350 was ok like 3 years ago. Right now new accounts should start in low silver probably. Or lets say at 1500 :slight_smile:

But there is issue with higher ranked player who make alts so something would have to be done about it.

1 Like

I think it should use QP MMR as the initial basis. At least then they’d start at various, incorrect intervals rather than Gold be the starting home of basically every player. It should be more dynamic for sure.

2 Likes

Thank you, this is super helpful. I wonder how often they make changes to the algorithms. It’s even more difficult to figure something out if they keep changing it behind the scenes.

1 Like