Comp Update from Bronz 5 to Bronz 5

Been seeing a lot of threads about Bronze 5, so wanted to throw my experience out there.

I also started at B5, and got B5 again upon my next set of 7 wins. Then last night on my 3rd “placement”, I got B3. So it is definitely possible to move out of B5, just might take some time depending on your true rank and the sort of matches you’re getting.

Overall, I’m sure matchmaking is just a mess right now since it’s a new system and tons of people are needing to be placed. I heard that most people are being initially placed lower than their true rank, so B5 is probably a hot mess of higher-ranked players, true B5, and people that just came back to the game after not playing for years.

What I suspect is happening is that Bronze5 is a very deep rank that goes from “hidden SR” of 0 - 1100 (speculative numbers purely for help explaining), with ranks above that being ~100 deep. (ie B4 1100-1200).

Since it seems to be mainly affecting people coming back from a long’ish break, I suspect that it takes your previous rank, decayed all the way to 0 (or nearly to 0) as your starting point and adjusts your rank starting from there.

This could explain why it seems that people are stuck at bronze 5 winning 21 games in a row (say 350ish pts per 7 wins w/o a loss), and then suddenly start jumping up 3-4 ranks at a time (per 7 game winstreak) once they finally hit that B4 threshold. Obvs if you are losing games here and there in the process, it would make sense that it takes longer to dig yourself out of the B5 hole.

1 Like

This it I believe.

on win 28 (7 loses) I finally hit the 1100 number and it skipped me to Bronze 2

I went into bronze 5 for each role when I was a diamond player previously. I’ve won most of my support games, got the seven wins to qualify next ranking…bronze 5. It’s so bugged blizzard need to adjust those that have played already to their correct skill levels. Just had two matches whereby both dps had 5 kills TOGETHER the whole entire game….screaming at the tv doesn’t cover this frustration when I don’t deserve to be down in bronze with these players.

For some peace of mind I think I know what is happening: