Climbing experiment

So I am lately little bit bored in Overwatch and was thinking about doing something exciting. I was thinking about heroes I dont like to play or heroes I just dont play because I suck at them big time and decided to challenge myself and use alt account to play only them and try to climb and learn them as I will play. And maybe even like them in the end? And most importantly climb to same place as with my main heroes.

I would like to pick two heroes from each category but there is more heroes than that which i dont play so I would like you to help me to pick them :slight_smile:

Also, i dont know if I should use new fresh account or just use one which is already well established in gold. I am kind of afraid i will throw hard on tank role in gold tho.

TANK
I Have some options here. I definitely will play ball as primary main tank pick because he is my worst hero of all. I am not kidding when I say that my skill is bronze on him. But i am not decided about second tank to main as I dont know what is usable if ball is not working. I am zarya and hog player so definitely not those two. I did play orisa long time ago but i hate her boring gameplay, i have experience with Winston. I can somewhat play Rein, which I could chose but i already know how to play him. So what is left, Sigma and D. Va. I probably suck more on Sigma, but I somehow feel like playing D. Va could be more fun. What do you think guys?

SUPPORT
I played all heroes over the years with exception of baptiste. So he is my choice as main support. I am not decided with secondary support tho. It could be moira, Lucio, Ana or briggita. I am probably same skilled on those. What do you think would work well if bap is taken or if he is not working as hero pick?

DPS
I have certainly more options here. I practicaly never play genji, junkrat, hanzo, doomfist, Symetra, Torbjorn and Pharah in comp. So thats a lot of options. I have no clue what to pick here, i want to play something fun and challenging to learn. Any suggestions?

There is lately a lot of topics about players dropping in ranks even when they play their main heroes so i am curious? Can I learn and climb on heroes I currently suck to where i belong on my current main heroes? I will gladly challenge myself to achieve that. That will be high plat btw, which is my usual elo with my mains, with some even low diamond.

I am mostly excited about tank role and hammond tho as i currently hate him so much :rofl:

Btw, i will be streaming all my games when I start.

If you want something challenging but rewarding, try hanzo. Even before you get good with his primary fire you can get free value from spamming storm arrows into chokes at every opportunity.

The two meta dps, mcree and echo, are pretty strong counters against him so you’ll also have a challenging time learning how to play around them.

Some tips from someone who has played hanzo a lot into these matchups:

• only take duels with mcree on long ranges where he has damage falloff and when you have storm arrows ready.
  • play on highgrounds where you can abuse his limited mobility to escape if you get low.
  • use wallclimb to take high vantage points vs echo, it’s easier to hit her while she’s airborn when you’re high up since you don’t have to look up as much.
  • highground also makes it easier to escape before she can finish you off with focus beam since you can jump off the highground and use the fallspeed to escape her range.

When you’re not dueling their dps, farm ult charge on enemy tanks and always ult trough walls from different angles to surprise the enemy with your dragons.

Good luck

1 Like

Hey thanks for tips :). I will think about it. I was thinking a lot about junkrat and doomfist too. Junkrat might be really fun to play. And doom has a lot of těch to learn so it might be challenging.

Ye junkrat is fun but a more situational pick, he’s great for close quarter maps like temple of anubis and kings row, but trying to play him on a map like junkertown is an uphill battle.

You could pick two heroes with different strengths, like playing hanzo, torb or genji on maps where snipers are strong and any of the others on other types of maps.

1 Like

But dude, its his home town :rofl:

Haha true, why he’d choose to battle with a slow traveling bomb lobbing gun in a place with the longest sightlines in the game is beyond me lmao

1 Like

IMO, go with Doomfist and Hanzo for DPS, Sigma and Ball for tank since D.va is just a huge ult battery imo, as for support Bapt as your primary as you said, go with Lucio as your second.

Also I was thinking of doing something similar to this myself, and only playing heroes I’ve not touched, seems like something fun.

1 Like

I actualy like what you picked :slight_smile: I might do it like this.

Cree is considered a hanzo counter? How? If you’re close enough to where he doesn’t have damage falloff then you should be landing the one tap anyways

1 Like

Have fun with Hammond, my friend.
Assuming that he does not get nerfed to the ground because of the forum hivemind, you may get addicted to the gameplay which is unique to Hammond.
“Once you go Ball, you never go back”.

I would offer tips on how to play Hammond but i am a Bronzer, officially. So…

Winston - Once you go Ball, Winston actually because easier to play. In fact, after my 100+ hours on Hammond (QP + QPC with 61% & 51% win rate respectively Ball OTP), i find myself defaulting to Winston if i think that my team requires some Shielding.
Basically, the principle behind Monkey and Mouse are quite similar.
So if you want a more difficult challenge insofar as learning Tanks are concerned, Monkey could be your 3rd option.

Orisa - imho, she is a sleeper, especially when played aggressively. When a ex-GM player (he was away and playing Apex Legends for a year) returned to play some QP with me, he defaulted to Orisa and was wrekting with her. When i move to the Asian servers, a lot of Korean players are using her to good effect as well.

Siggy - Still ok after the adjustment to Shield cooldown. It is just that he becomes more like a mixture of Orisa (shield is somewhat fixed during CD) /D.Va (his “succ”) and himself. Still very potent with the most versatility amongst the Shield Tanks. imho, picking him as 2nd option is good because it is likely that your co-Tank would probably go Zarya or Hog or insta-lock Hammond. Plus having 2 Shields is always potent in the current trend of hitscan dominance.

D.Va - hmmm… imho, she is fun but between her and Winston, i would pick Winston. When i play against other Tankers, she is the one i am least concerned with (as Hammond) primarily due to her hitbox.

1 Like

Your so low level and already experimenting. Sounds like you having fun with the game. But to be honest you should just play something else, instead of throwing other peoples games.

This is not my first account either. I play other games too but i still love to play Overwatch, since the release. I am just trying to find new ways to enjoy it.

Who said I will be throwing? . I will be trying to win. I have account low enough to not be smurfing or throwing.

1 Like

Tips on ball
Always ask urself
« how can I be a pain in their a… »
Gg ez welcome to diamond

2 Likes

Just thinking about this, you already have pretty good tracking, and ball needs good tracking to follow up on squishy targets after slamming to secure kills, so, you probably just need to figure out the basics on Ball (positioning, roll outs, cd management), and you’ll easily climb, start on an established high silver/low gold account, so as to not be effectively smurfing too low, but to where you can still get punished for mistakes.

Play Genji.

Embrace the pain!

1 Like

Thank you all for suggestion. I am going to start my expriment today.

I am going to use my alt account and it is not new account btw, its older one. Account has currently tank role at 1473 SR, DPS role is unplaced, but I should probably place somewhere on the edge of silver and gold. Support is unplaced also. I am not sure where I will place, I would guess somehwere in mid Silver. I think my SR on roles are pretty fitting to what I will actualy play so I think I wont be smurfing or throwing by my decisions what I will play.

This is my choice for the heroes:

TANK
Wrecking ball and Sigma which I think I ever played in comp and very rarely in other modes. I will be focusing wrecking ball mainly who is practialy my worst hero and I suck at him big time, I dont even kknow how to play him right so it will be fun. I kind of know what to play sigma slightly, but have almost zero experience on him so I will suck too.

DPS
There is multiple heroes I would like to try but I am still not decided who will be my main hero so I will be trying few: Hanzo, Junkrat, Torbjorn, Symetra and Doomfist. Not sure about Pharah yet. I would say that all these heroes at at same level of skill for me and I dont really play these heroes in QP or comp with exception of rare occcasions.

SUPPORT
My main support will be Baptiste, I have practicaly zero play time on him. I only tried him few games when he was released. I wasnt really decided what to play as second support because I play all support heroes in past, but Moira is probably hero I didnt play that much as others together with Lucio. So I will probably try both and decided later. Its pretty long time like year + since I played both of them.

So what I want to achieve? Mainly have fun with playing heroes I suck at to learn them and trying to climb with them to plat eventualy which is my main goal. I am curious if and how fast I will be able to climb on heroes I suck :slight_smile:

Btw I will be streaming my all games so if anyone is interested to check it, just type it here and I will post link when I start, other than that, I will be posting link to stream in special topic I will create after I will play some games.

EDIT: I will start with flex role to fill my DPS tickets :slight_smile: