Chat from user named SYSTEM

During a competitive game a user name SYSTEM sent a message to all in match to the effect of “you have an unread message from Blizzard and must press Alt+F4 to read it or there would be consequences.” Neither team had a user by that name so I’m assuming it may have been some sort of spectator but I don’t think spectators are allowed to interfere with competitive games. (TBH I didn’t even know comp games could have spectators).
Has this happened to anyone else? Was this a hacker or some odd bug?

You were scammed. Blizzard does not use the in-game message system in Overwatch to send custom alerts to players but instead will send e-mails to your e-mail account for your Battle.net account. Unless I see a screenshot or something, you may have been in a skirmish or if you were in queue, the message could have been typed in by a player in the lobby chat (this chat is in a white color).

Any system messages will have no identifying username and will appear in yellow or red. Critical messages may appear in red text with a white background. These other colors indicate a message from another player depending on the lobby or game mode:

• White = General Chat (while in the main menus)
  • Orange = Match Chat
  • Blue = Team Chat
  • Green = Group Chat
  • Purple = Friends Whisper

I understand that, that is why i stated it was made by a user named “system” and not actually blizzard. Also it was orange, another reason I assumed it may be a bug that let a spectator in or something.

Well if that player is still in your recent player’s list, please report them for Abusive Chat. There are no spectators in a Competitive Mode, however I suspect you may have either misread the player list or you saw a player from a skirmish. In short, if you did hit Alt+F4, you fell for the oldest prank in the book for online games.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/thanks-for-spending-time-with-us/163748

I just got a message from “system” and his boarder says “blizzard employee”

Also it wass here on this forum after i made a post and not in-game.

I’ve been getting these too in the forum.

…h…ttps://d74zh8edaijub.cloudfront.net/en/overwatch/plugins/discourse-blizzard-themes/images/avatars/overwatch/default…) system ](h…ttps://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/u/system)1 day — Automatically removed quote of whole previous post.

…(h…ttps://d74zh8edaijub.cloudfront.net/en/overwatch/plugins/discourse-blizzard-themes/images/avatars/overwatch/default…) system ](h…ttps://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/u/system)1 day — Automatically removed quote of whole previous post.

Sadly, I cant post links or images here, because (despite having this account with Blizzard since 2004 or 2005) they don’t trust me not to post links in OW forums. Each of these links were preceded by comments image brackets and the last letters behind default were png.

Sinzh, the SYSTEM messages in the forum ARE legitimate. A recent change in the forums now prevents you from selecting the entire message of the most recent reply of a thread and quoting it. (Trust me, it drives me crazy.)

Also please be mindful of the date of a thread before posting a new response and if the information of the original poster is relevant to your specific issue.

when did that change occur? I was able to quote messages before I took a break a couple of months ago from OW

It was within that time frame.

seems a strange choice by blizz when the messages I was quoting were relatively short.

as to replying to an old thread, it was the only one i found when searching forum which seemed relevant to these strange system messages I’ve been getting.

I understand, but even then in many cases it is often better to start a new subject in the technical support forum so that your specific issue is likely to get the attention it deserves.