Changing Mecree's Name Over Real Life Problems

Blizzard said quite often that McCree (the character) was named after a Blizzard employee because they liked his name and thought it suited a cowboy. They said this multiple times over the years. It was pretty widely known. Just because you didn’t know this doesn’t mean nobody knew this.

4 Likes

widely known is not true.
If you look at the twitter reply, most ask what is that all about.

Only few hardcore OW fans and lore fanboys (like me) know the origin.

1 Like

Ehh. I mean, not even talking about gameplay, he’s got one note - I’m a cowboy. I guess they kinda tried to make him cyber-punky with his arm and flashbang over a bag of sand or something, but that just doesn’t seem to come up much. Could’ve given him a mechanical eye that he uses for his ult, deadEYE.

You do realise majority of the players don’t live in the forums like you and me.

I do realise that. The person I replied to is on the forums, though and so are we. Most people get their Overwatch news from Blizzcon which happens to be one of the places where the story of the origin of McCree’s name was told.

Most Overwatch players probably aren’t even aware of the lawsuit against Activision-Blizzard - they’ll find out about it because of the name-change. Which is why it’s hilarious that people think Blizzard is doing this “for PR”.

The man is already proven guilty for all of his “crimes” by the forum/twitter, empowered by the company itself.

It seems we dont need trial nowadays.

if you were to ask anybody in the game i guarantee you more than 90% wouldn’t know i also as a hardcore fanboy of the game never knew that he was named after an employee (been in the game since open beta) either way most people cared for the character not the employee (which again very little knew)

hmm you do bring up a pretty good point although i do see in the comments there wasn’t any confirmed cases that he actually sexually harassed any employees… but in the case he DID instead of focusing on the video game they should reflect on how they can ACTUALLY improve on their work space there’s so much more they could do to improve it other than renaming a fictional character that has almost no resemblance of the employee (i think) other than the name… and as i said people looked to him as mccree and nobody else not the employee but the character they created…

He won’t be cleared, because there won’t be a trial. HR disposed of him just like they disposed of documents. Maybe he even signed a NDA with good severance too.

Then it’s “oopsie guess we’re gonna have to really make it look like he did something without saying he did something”.

This is what infuriates me: it’s the same lack of transparency blizzard, except it’s now swaying the opposite side of the pendulum.

its a real problem for the people that worked with him the world doesn’t revolve around you sweetie

2 Likes

The latter is most likely why they are now cleaning house. If everyone is now focused on the right hand then the left hand can sweep the ton of dirt under the larger rug.

The change is not for us… it’s not for the Twitter SJW, it’s for the people who work on this game day after day, so they aren’t reminded of a “Cosby” in their midst.

They named knowing this irl character behaviour from 2013 atleast are you kidding, they were compliant.

It would be s joke if they suddenly got a moral compass.

The hypocrisy.