Change to 5v5 was made not to fix the q-times!

In the recent video from Samito he pulled a tweet from one of Blizzard’s employees Morgan Maddren made on December 14. 2023.

Average DPS q-times back in 6v6 were typically about 6 minutes (worse in KR), So i’d guess --6min.
That said, the shift from 6v6 to 5v5 was not driven by a desire to reduce q-times, that was merely a happy side-effect. 5v5 was purely for gameplay reasons.

Here is a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTgw3J4uNZY&t=24s

Time when the tweet is displayed: 13:25

4 Likes

I’d rather take OW1 6 minute queue matches over another match of this current :clown_face: show

23 Likes

Let’s face it, 5v5 fans have no longer any arguments to support this format, and with this last patch and the message from the Blizzard’s employee it’s now clear: 6v6 ASAP !

17 Likes

Absolutely same!

I’ve actually uninstalled the game for the first time ever. I just can’t with this game right now.

Wow. Ok. That’s :poop:

1 Like

That’s just PR speak lol. 6 minute average is terrible and there’s no way they were ok with that.

1 Like

A more accurate statement would be that it wasnt strictly about queue times

But several other devs mention them so we do know it was at least 1 reason

1 Like

Queue times is still my argument. I do not care what Morgan Maddren says. He is lying.

That being said, I am not against it. If DPS players as a whole want to sit there and twiddle their thumbs, I am all for it. I encourage it. We have to respect their wishes.

I sure wouldn’t.

1 Like

Exactly! I don’t care. They can stare at the menu all day. It was done for queue times no matter what they say. They figured no one was happy with tank being shieldbots (which was partly true). They wanted them to be “brawlers” and be able to fight but that means more powerful tanks aggressively taking space rather than playing barrierwatch in 6v6.

People aren’t happy with barrierwatch and they aren’t happy with brawler tanks. The real problem is they don’t like tanks. Which means they should go play CoD or Siege and not a MOBA/fps hybrid.

1 Like

LITERALLY THE ONLY REASON for 5v5 was to pretend to the world that ow2 was a different game enough so they could CHANGE BUSINESS MODELS, because they couldnt do that in ow1, an already sold game. that is the factual truth, but easily manipulated clowns will come here to defend this garbage that not a single soul from the original overwatch team would think its a better version of the game

8 Likes

I don’t understand the point of this post

Are we acting like the devs weren’t aware 5v5 would also improve queue times, simply due to the math of the playerbase?

Like, are we imagining that when they were thinking about changing the game to 5v5, that they didn’t also see the role populations and think “oh cool, that’ll be better too!”

That’s essentially what this guy said. The 5v5 change wasn’t driven by improving queue times, but that would also be a happy side effect

1 Like

This post was made to give all those 5v5 supporters who were showing q-times argument trough our throats a clear fact.

1 Like

Morgan is correct in both regards.

That average queue times probably included Quickplay and Arcade.

1 Like

The guy said queue times are better in 5v5 which was a huge issue in 6v6. So…?

Speaking of gameplay, here is a recent video on 6v6 from Jay3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcySxpLhZlk

2 Likes

That is actually a great point that I did not consider as a competitive only type of person. I could totally believe that.

That they were probably more than 100% right?
Cool.

Yup. Morgan previously pointed out there’s more players in terms of count and time played, as “Not Comp players” as you have “Comp players”

Also this is a clip of Spilo describing how he talked directly in person with either Morgan Maddren or Gavin Winters.

That said, it’s kinda both queue times and gameplay. They wanted to make the game more of an FPS, but there wasn’t a good way to get there without horrible queue times.

1 Like

If they nerf the support role in full then queue times don’t matter because we’d just go back to OQ as the game should be.

These entire forums would implode if they tried to play another role based game such as an MMO where they have to wait 15+ minutes for 4-5 players to be found just to do a dungeon.

1 Like