Can we please get the Switch version's gyro controls for the PS4 version?

While the Switch version’s 30fps frame rate was effectively a deal-breaker for me as far as buying that version of Overwatch is concerned, what caught my eye was the fact that it was gonna get gyro aiming in various instances (including aiming, similar to Splatoon). Considering that the DualShock 4 also has a gyroscope, I was hoping that the PS4 version could also get these gyro aiming options alongside the launch of the Switch version or slightly later. Anyone else agree with me?

5 Likes

it while being fun it could seriously cause a negative impact to comp so i doubt it will come to ps4. then again switch has comp too so idk.

It would basically work like in Splatoon in that you use the right stick for broad strokes & the gyroscope for more precise movements. This would be a blessing for characters who require more aim like Ana, McCree, Ashe, & Widowmaker. If you don’t like it, you can easily turn it off (again, like in Splatoon). I see this as an absolute win.

3 Likes

What would the negative impact be? That those who don’t wanna use gyro aiming would be put at a competitive disadvantage?

1 Like

Probably motion sickness…

I think? I don’t own a PS4 so I don’t know for sure…

But there are VR games that worked with the PS4 VR Sticks that does support this…

This could be fun.

It’d be awesome to see good gyro controls (and flick stick?) in Overwatch on PS4. The DualShock 4 is more than capable.

Here’s DualShock 4 gyro aiming in CS:GO:

And most of the examples for developers on GyroWiki are straight out of Overwatch.

It’d be awesome to see the DS4 being treated as more than just an Xbox controller :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why would anyone want to use gimmicky controls in a competitive fps game?

It’s not too gimmicky, some people prefer it. It could be optional.

You are making it sound more hardcore than it is…

1 Like

Yeah but you get the idea. You don’t really need even clunker controls for a game like this.

It’s not clunkier, it’s smoother for most people who have tried it.

I’m not sure you really understand what they are suggesting, you don’t constantly use it for everything for aiming, it is specifically for small adjustments, and should be optional.

2 Likes

With a good gyroscope it’s actually significantly better than a thumbstick alone. Unfortunately Nintendo is one of the few companies that knows what they are doing with their motion controls/gyroscopes.

1 Like

yes that is my point. It is their hardware and they design their games with it in mind. 3rd party devs usually don’t get good advantage of and just slaps it cuz it exists especially when it comes down to ports.

Might be just me, but that didn’t seem to be your point. I’m not always as clear as I want to be, so I’m not complaining about it.

1 Like

Doesn’t have to be clunky. There are really, really good resources online that go into depth how to make them smooth, precise, tight, and responsive. It’s even better with a DualShock 4 than with Nintendo controllers.

Here there are code examples, Overwatch gifs, and explanations of the reasoning for doing it this way:

gyrowiki.jibbsmart.com/blog:good-gyro-controls-part-1:the-gyro-is-a-mouse