Can we just raise Mercy's skill floor/ceiling?

I understand the sentiment, but the character is just built to help the team. That’s Mercy’s role in the game, a super mobile, super versatile, near pure support hero. Pretty much like Medic in TF2

okay if you want something that really takes some skill look at this for her E replacement:

basic doesn’t mean there’s nothing to learn as you’ve mentioned GA gives a lot of opportunities for mercy to show herself like you can survive a genji blade if you time it correctly same goes for Winston jumping on you I’ve talked about this in the past if you’re interested read my old posts… so we can’t just lose hope because she is a simple hero

skill floor and skill ceiling are two different things
skill floor: how easy it is to play this character
skill ceiling: how easy it is to master this character

Wow talk about passionate.

but that doesn’t help her! a big part of playing mercy is keeping track of everything that’s going on around you and behind you if you’re on 1st point Hollywood and you forget to keep looking behind you you’ll die to a mccree flanking mercy doesn’t have defensive tools she has amazing survival tools that require her to be aware of her surroundings

what’s wrong with that?

truer words have never been said, thank you sir/ma’am!

1 Like

I don’t mean that she’s simple, just that she already does a lot but is focused on doing things to help the team rather than taking it into her own hands

i know Moira has a lower win rate and pick rate compared to mercy but omg is she the most well designed character in the game or what? like thank you so much blizzard!

I like this Minty guy. :sunglasses:

i absolutely agree that she should always keep that role
but relying on teammates doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be able shine

like take any beloved political figure (those who didn’t hurt people (i’m just saying this to stay away from some of the bad ones)) they still rely on other people to survive while doing a good job for their people (also i don’t see myself or mercy mains as political figures just used that to make a comparison okay? so no “mercy mains are full of themselves” okay?)

right back at ya! <3

does anyone really want mass rez back at this point?
i personally don’t!

1 Like

mercy being able to express herself is one of the things mercy mains are asking for myself included!

There’s absolutely a difference between a good and a bad Mercy. A good Mercy has the gamesense to stay alive, she knows who to GA and what’s unsafe, they don’t even need Valk to stay in the air and are able to pull off risky Rezzes when they need to. They also know that M2 exists, something not many Mercy players seem to know.

A bad Mercy has little to no awareness, she dies 9 times out of 10 because she doesn’t know where to stand, how to play corners or avoid LOS. As much as people want to believe that it’s not true but there IS a difference between a good and a bad Mercy. If you don’t believe that then you haven’t played with a good one yet, mate.

no! i love this game and i love this character maybe it’s not a big deal for you but it’s a big deal for me!

2 Likes

I’d argue that Mercy especially should not be a “beginner hero.” I mean, have you seen her player base? You can’t turn around in this game without running into someone who has hundreds of hours on Mercy. Clearly these players are willing to invest a lot of time into practising this hero, and they have been consistently stating, for years, that they want Mercy’s reward curve to better reflect the time and effort put in to learning her. And if Mercy is supposed to be only good for beginners, then who, praytell, should Mercy players graduate to when they’ve outgrown Mercy? Ana, the low-mobility point-and-click adventure? Zen, the other low-mobility point-and-click adventure? Pls. Some of us get bored sitting behind a shield clicking on stuff. Support players need the ability to challenge themselves and develop their skills without being pigeonholed into a single playstyle–and we don’t get that by having Mercy, Moira, and Brigitte all be low-complexity heroes.

I don’t think Mercy needs to lose her lock-on beam to be skillful. Aim isn’t the only skill. It isn’t even the only mechanical skill. Like, remember that brief, beautiful moment when Bunnyhop was still a bug, and Mercies who could time their hops just right could absolutely launch themselves? So maybe bug!nyhop was a little too unreliable and some of the launches were a little too insane, but the fact that you could clearly tell the difference between Mercies who had practiced their bunny hops and those who hadn’t? Mhm. That was nice. And to think you could have all sorts of little passives that let you go farther, pop yourself up, airstrafe, surf on the scenery, or stop on a dime just based on angles and timing. And it could be the difference between a very skilled Mercy, who can navigate her way almost anywhere around a fight… and an unskilled Mercy clumsily hopping along after her teammates.

Also, if Mercy’s envisioned by her playerbase to be a more gamesense-oriented hero, why not abilities that reward gamesense? E Rez does not give that. It’s a braindead easy awareness check with a 10 second window of opportunity. I’d rather she had an ability that was proactive in use, which requires her to read the flow of the battle, think on her feet, and be ready with a quick response when the enemy team starts to move.

And Valkyrie? Pls jeph. We don’t need an ultimate that makes it so we don’t have to think about heal distribution, don’t have to plan our GA flights, and don’t have to manage clips. I’m okay with an ultimate that transforms Mercy into a stronger version of herself as long as her new power actually takes skill to utilize. Otherwise, give her a short burst of power like every other ult in the game and let the better players figure out when, where and how to use it.

9 Likes

Honestly? I don’t understand why Rez can’t be on a resource meter like Torb’s armor was. That alone would already help making her better and setting apart a good Mercy from a bad one. The concept was in game, they kept it for a long while so why not implement it for her? It would be a great change that I’m sure lots of us would welcome.

Ideally she would have a relatively low skill floor (easy to pick up) and high skill ceiling (difficult to master). Instead she has a low skill floor and medium-low skill ceiling. Not to mention she’s pretty boring the way she is now, and the developers think this is fine. Geoff’s constant spouting of the delusion that any given hero they add is a “buff” to Mercy is absurd, and further ensures that she gets no attention from the balancing team regardless of player attitudes toward her.

So screw it, and screw Mercy. I’m a DPS main now. Look at the time I’ve spent on Ashe since she came out. Compare it to the time I’ve spent on Mercy who has been in the game since launch. Ashe has been out, what, three months? I can barely bring myself to play Mercy anymore after what they did with her.

• A former Mercy main