Bronze placement bug is INSANE

tank - bronze 2 28wins 65% w/r ow1 high was 2100
dps - bronze 3 50 games, 60% w/r… didnt play any dps or supp in ow1 (only been playing 3-4 months ish)

but i have 10 ppl on my friends list gold through diamond who placed b5 and have gotten out, unsure how many games, it cant be a ton… none of them are on 24/7

also, i keep hearing about this stats make you rank up, not the winrates… but… when i play roadhog i always have high mitigation, top team damage(almost always) hook % over 50% avg and fewest deaths on team. (i main hog)
dps— i main widow… 25% crit accurage avg, 48% scope avg… every game i have a ton of kills, im a pretty decent shot… in 100 games ive been widow diff’d once by a smurf/misplaced person. but my damage is always low, which is expected w/ widow.

the point im making is… i hear people talking about stats not winrates to rank up, but i cant find any literature about it… and it doesnt really make much sense to me? maybe i havent heard the right argument for it.

sorry for the long winded side note.

edit: to clarify, i placed bronze 5 in both roles…
2nd edit: interesting fact i forgot to mention… after my first 21 wins, it kept saying bronze 5 after the 7wins thing. then just changed to bronze 2 in the que select screen(so tiny hard to see) without telling me.

Cheers bro, Its super confusing rn haha. Im an ex top 500 player from ow1 (I havent played in a few seasons tho) I got placed in bronze5, won 7 more games and got recalibrated to bronze 5. Im guessing i gotta just keep spamming more games for it fix up. Because it looks like winning and stats mean nothing towards ranking up rn from what I’ve experienced and what I have been reading. Not fun

yeah. its a mess for sure. the MAJORITY of games arent even competitive… theyre one sided… at least in ur case, you’ll be on the winning side :slight_smile: glglgl

I placed d5 and went to d4 on my first update. I cant give exact winrate because you know, the stats we have are pathetic, but it wasnt great. 60% max but then i hear people taking about going 7-0 and not seeing a change from b5.
if its not a bug then blizz needs to go back to showing sr so people can scrutinise the amount they gain or lose.

i see people claiming that stats are what causes ranking up… but is there any literature anywhere on that? even statistics done by players to suggest it? or is it just a floating rumor?

Blizzard acknowledged it as a bug today

Blizzard acknowledged the bug which makes you a king of the douch.e-nozzels

I read Zest comment as sarcastic…

I mean they quite literally said it is a performance based ranking system. In a performance based ranking system stats will often increase rank more than just raw win percentage.

Can you link where blizzard acknowledged this?

1 Like

I don’t even have any stats at all everything is blank. I won 7 as flex/healer and no ranking even shows I’m so confused. None of my stats appear. I’ve probably already logged 4-5hours of comp but everything is 0 across the board. Wth is going on ?

7-1 on dps - bronze 1 7-0 support - bronze 1 7-7 on tank gold 1.
I don’t even know wtf going on with their algorithm, in OW1 I could only crack 3.5k + on support, dps and tank was like 2600-2800 at most. and I only play support and I do well, so yeah it’s a bug.

where?
25characters.

Hmmm… people said “just play and give it your best, try to keep your stats high, you will eventually rise in ranks”.

Yesterday I did my placements for Support with onetricking mercy, and I won 7/10 or so, really good I thought. I came out Bronze 5.

Today I did my placements for Tank, switching a lot, adapting to the situation and giving it my best for the scores but not “stupidly farming scores” but doing the smart things for the team peeking the score from time to time. I lost WAY more than when doing my placements for Support but I came out Silver 5.

Also simply disabling chat halfway in helped me to focus A LOT and considering I had like five games in a row that were mere spam and insult fests I dare saying this helped.

I still am not too fond of everything Overwatch 2, however “Bronze placement BUG” is something I consider folklore.

can you link a source where they have said that?

1.) Second, we believe losing games shouldn’t be a purely negative experience. Competitive players should feel a sense of progression after games, and we want to provide players with the tools needed to improve and rank-up.

2.) Seeing your SR go up and down after each match almost felt like taking a test with the teacher passing or failing you based on each individual question rather than your complete work. It was a lot of pressure, and it doesn’t give players an accurate representation of how they’re performing overall in Competitive.

3.) Competitive updates will show your progress and adjust your division, if necessary.

4.) Looking at the past seven or 20 games as a collective helps you better understand how you’re performing in Competitive rather than putting a ton of pressure on each individual game.

5.) Most players will find their rank is slightly lower when they start out, as they will be learning new concepts and metas. However, players who got to learn more about the game in our betas, or who follow the Overwatch League, may find themselves ranked higher than ever.

Nothing there suggests performance is being weighed over win/loss. Maybe explain how you’re interpreting it? #2 is about as vague as it gets.

Silver 4 is the same… bugged, u cant get up with rank.

This isn’t true. I consistently had 12k healing EVERY SINGLE GAME while the other healers had 5-7k healing, I won FOURTEEN GAMES IN A ROW and I a placed bronzze 5, and I am still bronze 5 after winning another 7.

So this is absolutely untrue.

My highest rank in OW1 was Diamond support.

1 Like

If you were to take a 20 question test but got questions 3, 4, & 5 wrong, and as a result you failed the test; regardless if you got the first 2 or next 15 right, is that the correct way to evaluate your performance on the test? Just translate that to competitive.