Bring back downvotes. It builds community and unity!

Remember those post you clicked and is immediately greeted with bright red thumbs down with like 50-100 dislikes? And you read the post and finds out it is indeed rubbish and stupid so you add to the cause by contributing another dislike? You don’t even need to reply, you just dislike and leave. And you feel great about yourself because you can see majority of the people are sane and thinks like you.

Now you cant. You will not be able to immediately see the post is nonsense when you click on it. And you can’t simply dislike it and move on. Like the other 50 users before you, you have to leave a heavily opinionated critical reply for the topic creator even when countless others have done already.

23 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: So downvotes are completely gone now?

My guy your reason for wanting down-votes back is the VERY REASON they are gone.

24 Likes

This is a reason as to why they were removed.

You don’t have to, you can ignore it, You should only post in a thread if it’s constructive or you want to give your opinion (both positive or negative) on the subject at hand.

The problem with coming in, dropping a dislike and bouncing out was that people bandwagoned and mass downvotes buried topics.

With the current system, if you don’t have anything to say, don’t say anything at all. It’s very simple. It’s a forum, discussions are supposed to be had here, not mass downvoting an unpopular opinion and leaving without a word, this promotes discussion, it’s a good thing.

4 Likes

Yeah because a community self regulating incorrect, toxic, or troll posts via a dislike system that still allowed you to view post was sooooo bad. Now we’re going to have a million insane nerf hero “X” threads and more troll threads. #thanksBlizzard

Then there’s the huge hypocrisy of removing down votes while keeping up votes. If down votes were removed up votes should also be removed in favor of “facilitating discussion”

1 Like

The community is better with people having to post their view point rather than the drive by dislikes which made a mess of the old forum.

1 Like

So you saw a hugely downvoted post

And then read it anyways to verify for yourself that’s it was rubbish?

Remind me again exactly what downvotes did here then anyways?

“This post is bad!”
“What? It is?? Let me see. Uh huh. Uh huh. My god it IS bad!”

Do YOU really need to see at first glance of something is “bad” only to then read for yourself that it’s bad?

Now let’s flip this around.

Ok it’s a bad post. The author has a bunch of downvotes

Do they need to know their idea was bad? And nothing else?

A bunch of down votes don’t tell them WHY it was bad. It doesn’t show counter arguments. It doesn’t show reasoning. It doesn’t share another point of view.

All they know is “people dislike this”

Here’s the thing. This is a disccusion forum.

I’m here to discuss things on a subject I enjoy. And read other discussions on the matter. And see posts and opinions from OTHER people. Whether they’re in line with mine or not.

Not see posts that get hidden because they dare have an opinion different than the masses. At the time, of course. Because this has change for many times.

The downvote button was largely meant to be a tool to hide and deal with troll poo posts and nonsense.

Good news- you can still do this by flagging that post. If a crap post gets enough flags, it gets hidden.

In the couple days this forum has been up I HAVE seen people expressing their opinions for and against things way more frequently than the old forum.

And this is exactly why we’re so much better off without that lazy downvote button.

You dislike something? Use your big boy words and tell thst person why.

You don’t need a system to tell you s post is bad when you’re going to read it anyways. If you want to see what’s other people think take an extra 30 seconds to glance over the comments that follow if the topic interests you

Or do you really need to be reminded for the umpteenth time that people think nerfing Moira is a bad idea in 2 seconds by seeing a red number?

Good riddance.

2 Likes

Never once did I actually feel “good about myself” for downvoting someone.

I don’t need the comfort of “going with the flow” to satisfy me.

1 Like

You can still downvote, see:

:-1:

5 Likes

I’ll have to remember that for future reference.

2 Likes

Downvote systems usually do more harm than good. The same flaws can be found with the in-game report system. I’m not yet convinced the current flag system is any better either.

1 Like

This is the exact reason they’re gone ,everything that didn’t line up with the popular opinion was just downvoted with no rebuttal (Ex. literally every thread saying genji is balanced)

If there’s a troll thread ,flag it.

Nailed it😎

Random text

1 Like

I agree this is probably the reason they should be gone, but they are actually gone because they implemented a discourse forum and it doesn’t have downvotes. They have never made a statement on it.