Blizzcon *may* not happen due to Coronavirus

Well, you’re balancing fears of a global pandemic not seen since 1918 versus an esports event. I think the priorities are clear.

IDK about Blizzcon but USA is going to have a real bad time with this virus seeing how so many people don’t have access to medical care. People not going to go in for treatment because they cant afford it and the thing will spread like wildfire.

I have had worse far deadlier things try to take me out in my lifetime. Not going to be fear mongered into not living.

But yeah, they even considering canceling 2020 Olympics last I heard.

I highly doubt corona will last until NOVEMBER. No pandemic spread lasted more than two months, tops.

First Hong Kong, now Blizzcon.

wHeRe WiLl EnD cHiNa

(I’m kidding.)

The thing is that BlizzCon is a long time away. Everybody is taking precautions to stop it. By the time BlizzCon has come we may even have a vaccine that stops it completely.

You are GROSSLY overstating the fatality rate of the flu. I think you misread that because 10% was the mortality rate for SARS whereas COVID-19 is sitting around 2.5ish% and will probably fall to around 2%. The other possibility is that you misread the decimal point because the seasonal flu has a mortality rate of .1% or 1/20 that of COVID-19.

1 Like

[Laughs in SARS]
[Laughs in H1N1]
[Laughs in Spanish Flu]
[Laughs in HIV]

1 Like

I already addressed this in a post below with proper citation.

Unfortunately, since there is no cure most events will be detained and cancelled due to the virus outbreak, for fear of safety of customers and staff members.

so you’re using worst case world numbers for flu and best case estimates for covid-19. those best case estimates don’t include iran which due to having a TERRIBLE government is being ravaged by covid.

stick with the same numbers, don’t cherry pick. disinformation around covid isn’t helpful its not going to destroy the planet but it IS worse than the flu.

1 Like

The problem with the global numbers is that the flu affects a lot of developing countries far worse than it does america. As for the numbers its about right on the number it kills (though on the high end as most estimates say between 300k and 650k)but way off on the number of people it infects each year because it infects far more. The problem is, in terms of diagnosis is that many people just shrug it off so that number you cited is the number of confirmed cases.

I just quoted from the world annual averages… how is that cherrypicking.

On a side note, this topic is derailing badly (partly my fault)… and is no longer about BlizzCon it seems.

1 Like

I’m no disease expert at all but as a layman that still sounds really scary lol.

That is slightly unfortunate. On that topic it is early to begin talking about cancelling Blizcon but they are no doubt making preparations for the, unfortunately likely, case that this does not die down over the summer because if so a public gathering like Blizzcon just cannot happen.

Not an english speaker but since it’s mentioned in the article that it’s “severe” cases that’s 10% mortality rate.

Just checking Wikipedia and there, while it’s about the same numbers as yours when it comes to severe cases, but if you look down at how many infected it says

340 million-1 billion, 290,000–650,000 deaths, <0.1% fatality rate.

Well if covid 19 spreads to America and will be more lethal then maybe. Currently only sport events like OWL homestands and F1 chinese grand prix are cancelled but i can understand it in an overpopulated developing country. Coronavirus has a really small death rate yet and people may can get infected by it without having any symptoms until it goes away.

Here is what is important to know. Assuming there is no interruptions, live ticket sales for BlizzCon will likely be announced in mid-April and go live sometime in late April or early May. The hotel list will also go live around that time. Assuming no policy changes, you can cancel your reservation for your hotel nearly to up the week of the event, so assuming Blizzard doesn’t pull off what the Polish government did to IEM Katowice, there should be little to worry about at this time.

2 Likes

Um…ONLY 2%? So ONLY 154 million people would die if everyone gets it. No big deal? 2% is very high for how contagious it is. Fortunately, it looks like the mortality rate may be much lower, but the infection rate much higher.

The number reported is based on the ratio of those already infected and recovered versus those who were infected and died. Not counting those who have been infected and still yet to recover from what I understand of this statistic. There are a lot of variables to consider and I am personally speculating the mortality rate to decrease on a global scale. The trick is still stopping the spread overall.

GDC is in a couple of weeks. BlizzCon is many months away. Speculation is premature.

Edit. Not anymore. It’s been postponed.

1 Like