Blizzcon *may* not happen due to Coronavirus

If the problem persists into November then we will all have bigger issues than Blizzcon being postponed.

That said, historically Blizzard doesn’t attend many public events anyway. The only consistent ones, to my knowledge, are Gamescon and, of course, Blizzcon.

15 Likes

I hope the OWL teams are safe. Are they still in China/Korea or did they come back to the US?

They’ve moved back to LA for now. I’ll see if I can dig up the post I saw.

1 Like

Phew that’s good! I can’t imagine what the scene is like right now over there though…

Unless you have a detailed source, there is no confirmation on what will happen to the China or South Korea matches at this time. All we know is that they’ve canceled those events in those countries, and the North American teams that were scheduled to appear in the South Korea event are working to return back home.

4 Likes

Found it, from Dysvalence: Coronavirus: Asian OWL teams reevacuate to LA

EDIT: and here is the Washington Post original they cited: https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/esports/2020/02/28/asia-based-overwatch-league-teams-flying-los-angeles-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/

1 Like

But if it were as wide spread as the seasonal flu, couldn’t one assume the percentage would be much higher? If it makes it to Florida, I suspect most of our retired population would be finalizing their Wills. :older_man:

Interesting but until we actually do hear any news from the league office, I recommend being patient on knowing exactly where they plan to play those matches.

As a reminder, to my knowledge the Blizzard Arena no longer exists.

3 Likes

The mortality rate is based on the number of people who have been affected and have recovered versus the number of people who have been infected and died.

So say you have 100 people who is infected by covid-19, and 100 people by seasonal flu. The number of people who have died amongst those infected by covid-19 would be 2, and those died from the seasonal flu would be 10.

The key thing that’s different is that covid-19 currently has no vaccine which is why it’s spreading so quickly, the seasonal flu does have a vaccine and therefore it’s much more easily contained.

3 Likes

Just linked the WaPo article they got it from, Wyoming.

Their eSports section is surprisingly quick on this stuff sometimes.

And the seasonal flu is world wide while covid is impacting a far smaller population by comparison. My point is, if it was global maybe that number would be higher than 2. Especially in parts of the world with poor health, lots of homeless, elderly, etc etc.

But perhaps none of that matters. Idk. Just speculation on my part.

In the end it is better to be safe than sorry. If cancelling Blizzcon means the safety of others then I support it.

Talk about a reach… my gosh its almost a year away… in California no less, not Beijing.

3 Likes

You have to understand, I’m speaking in ratios and not simply doing a head count. but I’m simply saying is if you happen to catch the flu you’re at more risk of dying than you are catching covid 19. Even then, the extremely high majority of cases of those who died, are those who already have significant medical complications already or suffered from secondary bacterial infections on set from covid-19.

In short, keep calm and use hand sanitizer. (No… masks really aren’t that helpful.)

5 Likes

this is GROSSLY overstating the flu’s mortality rate. CDC has it at sub 1%.

3 Likes

The CDC only reports US cases, and in the US it’s below 1%. According to the World health organization, The average number of infections reaches upward towards 5 million, with as much as 650,000, dying from it.

There is no way they’d do that.

There is a major content crisis at the moment, next Blizzcon is them unleashing (almost) all of their work and revealing it to the public.

Also, Blizzcon is in November, we’re in March, 8 more months buddy, that’s plenty of time for them to settle things down.

Well, you’re balancing fears of a global pandemic not seen since 1918 versus an esports event. I think the priorities are clear.

IDK about Blizzcon but USA is going to have a real bad time with this virus seeing how so many people don’t have access to medical care. People not going to go in for treatment because they cant afford it and the thing will spread like wildfire.

I have had worse far deadlier things try to take me out in my lifetime. Not going to be fear mongered into not living.

But yeah, they even considering canceling 2020 Olympics last I heard.

I highly doubt corona will last until NOVEMBER. No pandemic spread lasted more than two months, tops.