Blizzard Updater wants to melt my CPU

I built my PC. Installations shouldn’t peg your CPU at 100%. That doesn’t happen, especially for a quad core+. Any modern intel or AMD cpu should be able to update and watch a GIF at the same time. If your update makes videos lag, that’s the fault of faulty optimization.

1 Like

Most people run burn tests on their processors, that run it full speed. That won’t happen if you use a sensible overclock.

Specs? Usually gaming does that, not really bad optimization necessarily.

The vapor thing is running it so hot that it starts melting off the thermo compound… Which some of you might need to re-apply too.

1 Like

Ugh, Your cpu is overheating. Come on. I just said and will say it again. When I play Overwatch my CPU and GPU is basically maxed out all the time because I don’t have highend rig. Nothing lags, nothing restarts, nothing overheats. Actually I can even watch Youtube video with few occasional stutter. Your PC sucks

Hey folks,

Sorry for any confusion on this. Omrakos and I did some more digging into this, and it’s expected behavior. Some of the files are being merged/overwriting current game data which is more CPU intensive than our typical patches. We also believe this is what’s causing the issue with downloads seemingly halting, then picking back up a few minutes later.

If your CPU is experiencing heat issues as a result of this, keep in mind that there are several failsafes in place to prevent CPU overheating. I’d mostly expect higher temps on overclocked cards, but if this is not the case with you, you should clean the PC and have your heat hardware inspected, as the CPU should be throttled to prevent overheating.

I can run overwatch at 100fps on ultra. I also never get above 70C on CPU or GPU. Nothing lags on overwatch either. The issue is the updater acting like it’s Aida 64 or something and running my cpu at full blast.

No. The problem isn’t overheating.

THE PROBLEM IS AN UPDATE SHOULD NOT PUSH A MODERN CPU THIS HARD, EVER.

You just want to start stuff.

3 Likes

naah, i said earlier what kind of CPU i have (dual-core LOL and OW still work!!) … im just throwing it there because people might attack ‘sloppy programmers’

i had 100% for some short time, but now it is back at arround 30%… i am suprised that people have some wierd issues with this

that was the issue with my PC when i had much, much smaller cooling on myCPU… when i got huge one game simply sterted to work… and like i said even my prehistoric rig somehow runs OW and updates and everything

Thanks! You explained this really well. Just people with poor cooled or/and overclocked rigs blaming Blizzard

1 Like

If a thermal paste could melt, it’s a bad thermal paste. Thermal paste doesn’t melt, and even if it did, your PC would be shutting down already.

NOOOOO! You have faster CPU. Data is unpacked faster in expense of CPU usage.

Well technically, it was their fault. Did you read what they said. Just because it wasn’t a mistake doesn’t mean it wasn’t the installer. Overclocks don’t make things run your PC full throttle. You really don’t seem like you know what you are saying.

I’m pretty sure it has something to do with (possibly added) new compression features that allow for faster patches and less bandwidth.

No, Pretty sure dried thermal paste which is what happens much more often in overclocked CPU’s will eventually dry up and burn… You should really re-apply thermal paste every year if you over clock and your CPU% runs over 80% daily. Otherwise… eventually it burns.

True, you should be replacing your thermal paste, but it won’t vaporize.

It literally does. This is what us information technology professionals like to call “the magic smoke”…

We usually use that term in regards to enthusiasts rigs.

I know about magic blue smoke. I’m pretty sure that usually isn’t the paste, though I’m not an expert. Just an LTT and GamersNexus fan.

Smoke can only come out 2 places. The processor is 1 once the dried up thermal paste is burnt off but the other place is usually accompanied by some sort of spark or flame originating in the power supply.

EDIT: I’m realizing I’ve also forgotten the GPU. I’ve literally had some of those older FIRE PRO cards catch fire. No pun intended.

Dumb question, but if I replaced my thermal paste will it not crash? I’m gonna put the cpu to stock settings and see if it works or not, but I feel like that is not the right answer since this update in particular is the only one causing this problem.