Blizzard is Apparently Considering Splitting Comp into Two Playlists

I went by number of accounts.

What were the number of accounts?

40 million, iirc

And shot for a 95% confidence interval with a 5% margin, due to it being a forum poll.

Your poll had 283 respondents, not over 400?

Oh oops. I linked the wrong poll. That one is invalid because it didn’t hit the target number. Let me go find the first one.

60-40 split looks a very strong reason to go with separate OQ mode.

And a very bad reason to ditch OQ for RQ as an only option.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I am in favor of it. I believe the polling and the population numbers are valid and prove that role queue is preferred by the majority. But that the majority is quite slim, and thus speaks to the idea that there should be a separate mode for those who prefer open queue.

As the majority does like it, I think that ditching RQ in favor of OQ would be the wrong solution. But OQ alongside RQ makes the most sense.

2 Likes

Okay so now I’ve done the calculations:

Your poll’s 432 respondents are 0.0011% of the 40,000,000 playerbase.
My 136 respondents are 0.0033% of 4,000,000 - I assume forum participants make up less than 10%, i.e. 4 million participants. That’s of course being extremely generous.

My polls are 3 times more representative than yours, relative to total size.

Therefore my numbers are in fact sufficient.

That’s not how that works. Your poll is of the same population group as mine, but has less respondents. Therefore, it’s not as accurate.

Furthermore, your poll asks what role a person mains rather than looking at which heroes are most played. Many people do not play what they feel is there main more than other roles for a variety of reasons.

Ah, but your poll tries to answer a question about the playerbase - or that’s what you’re using it as evidence of. Mine tries to answer a question about the forum.

My poll specifically asked: Which is your most played role?

My poll specifically (not NixonIsSad’s) didn’t even include the word “main” at all.

Okay, yours is definitely better than Nixon’s.
Sorry I mixed the two.

I went to the sample size calculator to check and it said that you need 287 for 4,000,000 people. Which would be 10% of the population of players also being forum users.

Can you give the link to your sample size calculator?

Edit

I see, thanks.

Yeah it looks like you’re right. My sample size is insufficient.

Maybe I should do another one and try to bump/promote it more?

I still believe we’d get the same results with Damage not being the majority, just like we did with Reddit.

Perhaps. It would definitely give context to future polls. I’m not convinced it would matter to this one as play data also aligned with the polling. Which means it’s highly likely that enough people who play support also play dps and so it didn’t strongly impact their opinion.

However, that doesn’t mean wouldn’t be good to know for future polling. It’s always good to keep possible sample bias in mind.

I don’t quite understand this point. You said before:

The numbers about how we play were in regards to which Arcade modes were popular as I recall. What would that have to do with role preferences?

I’ll probably make another poll shortly.

If you compare the population of role queue QP to Open QP, you can see that the role queue is more popular by a slim majority. The devs have also said in the past that QP had the most users but not the most playtime/engagement, the latter would be ranked.

If people have the same opportunities of playing QP over QPC, then that likely means that they are playing QP for the role queue.

The same is true of open comp vs role queue comp, but Open comp wasn’t around long enough to draw that conclusion at the time of posting.

That’s a very strong indication that in terms of RQ the forum poll is representative of the general population. As both indicate a small majority preferring RQ.

I don’t know about that.

Specifically on the question of Role Queue Quick Play being preferred, the chart shows that in Korea and China, non-restricted modes i.e. Quick Play Classic and Arcade - No Limits were more popular than Role Queue Quick Play.

China: 12.1+17.3 = 29.4
29.4 > 21.2

Korea:
12.3+2.6 = 14.9
14.9 > 13.5

Also, polls even on this forum on that question didn’t seem to be so definitive, for example:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/very-large-overwatch-survey-finally-the-results/367034

They show they are more played but in terms of preference they also indicated a slim majority for RQ. Remember rather than comparing population sizes across regions you should be comparing similar roles to the same region.

13.5% played RQ QP vs 12.3% played QPC. Which shows a very small preference for RQ over QPC.

That poll is from before RQ was implemented and also didn’t reach the number of respondents needed.