Blizzard is actively stopping people from Deleting Accounts?

I mean, I could believe Hearthstone makes the most money in China, but I don’t think Hearthstone is their most important property, nor the most profitable.

Seems like that is the usual process.

The only thing we are sure of is Acti-Blizz is trying to get the Chinese gov to approve COD Mobile in China right now.

I wasn’t trying to delete, just get a record of the personal info they hold.

That might actually require the same safeguards. Think GDPR.

I thought yes but it is actually a no, US is their main market by far for now. But they got serious investments for the asian market due to mobile projects.

Whatever the case, the core auth methods weren’t working.

I really think that specific request you had might require additional ID to prevent people from learning private details about other people.

I can confirm that if you read the TOS you agreed to, you do not in fact have to send them an ID. Trust me, hit the right buttons and they will transfer your account to “legal” and you’ll effectively lose all access.

1 Like

Maybe, but the system didn’t say that, it just said ‘denied, this auth method is locked because of too many attempts’ after a single attempt on each one. I’ve used their auth systems many times in the past for a range of different requests and I’ve never had this happen.

Whether this type of request needs photo ID or not, the system is giving signs that it’s either broken or has been disabled. At best, the sequence of events you get when you try to use it makes it looks badly designed. Given the circumstances it’s not surprising that some people believe it’s intentional.

Blizzard needs full photo and ID to delete your account but not for making the account. This is the world we created :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do you send photo id of a person you made up?

2 Likes

Have you got a source on this? I was looking at their official earnings report for Q2 and only 12% of their net revenue came from Asia/Pacific (not just China, the entirety of Asia plus Australia)

So this whole “they make most of their money in China” thing doesn’t seem right at all.

According to the company’s most recent financial data, from June 2019, the entire Asia-Pacific region makes up 12% of its revenue.

I’m just wondering why you know so much about this stuff…

If you’re only taking Blizzard game i to account, they might not. But take the entire ActiBlizz and they definitely do.

They mobile game studio King? Apparently King account for the majority of their profits. Those are just mobile games. And mobile games are big in China.

Some googling suggests that their revenue is around 10% compared to approx 50% from the US. From what I understand, Blizz is assuming that the fraction of the rest of the world that will straight up refuse to do business with them anymore isn’t worth having that (approx) 10% completely cut out.

Even if you just ignore the numbers it make sense that it’s safer to back China as they have the infrastructure to completely block them doing any business there versus the rest of the world backing out at the individual level.

Nice Icon, reminds me of whinny the pooh.

At least in EU they’d surely have to comply with such requests due to GDPR. I imagine there’s simply a backlog of requests.

1 Like

Pretty much. EU is very strict about that. Now that it’s been rolled out, I’ve had to change so many things per announcement. Like, I even can’t simply withdraw cash unless I go through 2 security measures. Online shopping is a bit complicated too. But I guess that protects us from identity theft.

1 Like