Blizzard confirms: Profanity bannable in any context

This explains a lot of the inexplicable bans lately. Most people reasonably assumed that it is allowed given that the game was rated T, it is a first person shooter, that there is a profanity filter that you are given the option, certain heroes use profanity in game, and that no bans were ever handed out for this in the entirety of the games existence before around half a year ago, but apparently this has always been a thing.

So for anyone who got chat banned recently and was confused because they hadn’t said anything rude or offensive or toxic, this is likely why. It could’ve been over something as simple as saying “this map is dogwater” or “let’s freaking go” in less euphemistic language

I think it’s pretty horrible communication on blizzard’s end to suddenly start banning thousands of people for this without warning and to only explain what was going on months later on a side twitter account. Why do you still have the option to disable the filter in the first place, having a “let me do thing” button reasonably makes people assume they can do thing without being banned

89 Likes

That is positively absurd. Blizzard is such a horrible company.

83 Likes

I think I got suspended this way. Ill be respawning and type something like

“get that flying garden tool”
“dang we got rolled”

5 Likes

Well, Blizzard has confirmed that anything is reportable. If someone decides to report you, it’s a valid report. So… Obviously this was always the case.

36 Likes

I don’t know. I’ve seen far worse things said than any profanity on these forums and in game and nothing ever seems to change. Someone who barely said anything will get banned over the person who said something absolutely vile and hateful.

I just think it’s funny that Blizzard took the time to add a profanity filter that literally anyone can use, but will still silence you because you said bad words.

2 Likes

I spammed reply to keep case open and had an actual admin with chinese characters copy and paste a rules are rules type of post.

They probably only look at full bans and skip suspensions or mutes.

3 Likes

Agreed. I think this is a terrible change overall. It’s driven a lot of people to just turn off chat altogether.
I"m afraid to even say hi to friends I see in lobbies all the time. Ah well.

9 Likes

Who and what?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard one of the characters swear.

Ashe and Cassidy curse. They not dropping f bombs but still.

5 Likes

I’m not asking you to type this out… but I’m pretty sure they just say dang or darn.

Which is not a curse word. It’s adjacent and a PG-version… but it’s not generally accepted as actually cursing.

2 Likes

He just yells out dam when he gets hit some times.

Hmm.
So technically a curse word.

Do we all feel that’s on the same level as an fbomb or S-word?

Just cause I’m thinking is is going on the movie level of PG-13 to R… cause you can only have ONE Fbomb in a pg13 movie.

But Technically correct I suppose.

Yes this is what I was referring to.

According to some parental guidance website some of the heroes say worse foreign swear words, but I don’t really count that

I mean, you’d kinda have to since people who speak that language might hear that and have the same reaction to hearing “Damn” in English.

They have repeatedly stated that just because the filter exists, that doesn’t mean swearing is OK though. The act of disabling it was so that if you were in a group, you could talk “normally”.

Just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean it’s allowed.

I just cannot sympathize with people who get all shocked pikachu when standards are finally enforced.

2 Likes

Weird… since the filter just ***s out everything. You can still report it even if it’s filtered.

… have fun.

1 Like

Pretty mild compared to other pejoratives, but Tracer calls people wankers in her punk skin

5 Likes

What if they’re literally typing “****” characters?

But i want to know what’s the word that they’re using against me.

Exactly.

Do you report people in other games?