Blizzard Balance Logic

“Don’t just listen to the pros when it comes to balance”

Pros: “Nerf Sombra”

Blizz: “you got it fam”

Pros: “Nerf Tracer”

Blizz: …

“Don’t nerf high skill cap heroes if they need to be incredibly skilled to get insane impact”

nerf Zenyatta on this principle

don’t nerf Tracer, who exemplifies this principle way more than any hero

“We feel like dive is too strong right now, we’ll directly and indirectly nerf them”

Buff Winston counters, nerf Zenyatta and D.va, introduce Brigitte

“We’re looking at Brigitte right now because her combo might do too much damage [to Tracer, and only to Tracer]”

Man I know Tracer is hard to pin down but going 2 years completely unscathed by the balance team is impressive

3 Likes

When did they say this?

3 Likes

I think it’s in the Q&A thread. I saw the link to it on a reddit post and clicked it but don’t remember what the title of the actual thread was. But it was Geoff Goodman who said it.

remember when mercy got reworked when she didn’t need it no one said she needed a rework, and was op for months and now she’s probably in a slighty boring and weaker state but balanced.

she didn’t need a rework but old rez was obnoxious as hell, cmon.

They should have made it LoS and took away invulnerability, and given her another ability to compensate for the nerf.

yeah i guess old rez was balanced yet annoying

Remember when forum whiners use data and logical reasoning to support their arguments? Me neither. They just complain about everything.

1 Like

He’s talking about the stun, which doesn’t matter to Tracer since she’s dead already.

Yeah, they’re looking into the amount of damage that she does with shield/melee/whip which is only lethal to tracer. it would have by far the biggest impact, if they were to nerf it’s damage, to tracer as the combo does 155 dmg.

I think there are much more annoying things about brigitte (the fact that shield bash goes through other barriers and has such a gigantic hitbox). The fact that it can kill Tracer definitely is not the biggest problem with it right now.

155 or 150 damage isn’t too much to Tracer

It’s too much to every 200 hp hero

Blizzard’s way of balancing (MOST OF THE TIME)
2 buttons:
button 1: make one hero op and meta
button 2: make one hero up and unplayable

sometimes they just press button 3 which is broken most of the time
button 3: make one hero actually good and balanced
pls don’t flag me this is just a joke and i do think blizzard does care and try to listen but remember it takes time like how you wanted to get that sick new gaming pc for ur birthday

that’s fairly disingenuous. there are far higher damage potential combos and individual attacks from a bunch of heroes

whip shot puts you out of her range anyway, that is, in many cases, the most damage she can do to you after a stun.

Just gotta hope that graphics card and RAM prices drop

I think it pretty much comes down to the fact that certain heroes are built perfectly and that they have a long precedence of being balanced.

Tracer defines what dpsing is in Overwatch, just like how Reinhardt defines how it is to tank and Lucio defines how it is to heal. We’ve seen from other metas that these kinds of heroes are balanced, and they promote a gameplay that is really well made and unique.

I would expect to see entire classes rebalanced before we see these heroes be given a balance change. They’re unlikely to nerf Tracer for being good in dive, just like how they declined to nerf Rein during TTT. They’re staples of balance.

1 Like